Soldak Entertainment - Next Game Hints

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Steven Peeler from Soldak has been dropping hints about their next game in this thread. The hints include:
New game hint: you will probably be human, although there are other races.
New game hint: the setting is pretty dark.
Next game hint - I'm pretty sure it will have a very dynamic environment (quests, ai, events, etc).
New game hint: probably more effects than last game (from weapons, skills, explosions, etc.).
Last new game hint for today: will probably play as a mercenary.
Next game hint: lots of open spaces.
Next game hint: will include a mode of transport other than on foot.
I'm running out of hints for our next game, how about some potential unit names: Behemoth, Enforcer, Guardian, Talon, and Valkyrie.
Any bets on a space-based trader, somerthing along the lines of Space Rangers?
More information.

Any bets on a space-based trader, somerthing along the lines of Space Rangers?
That would be great.
Lately, the indies, seem to be taking more in interest in the SF genre.

Either that, or something along the Transcendence/Lost in Flatspace II: Rise of the Scarrid line of doings...

Still hoping Steven will turn his prodigious talents towards a turn-based game. It's a style he's expressed interest in before, but then again he's also said he has 10,000 different ideas for games. TB or not, I too would welcome a space-based RPG.

Space Rangers 2 was great! Finished it twice. :)

It does sound like a space game. Dark setting, lots of open space...

The "unit" names kinda suggest an RTS, though. "ship" names might have been too great a giveaway, however much more appropriate a description.

Seems like it has to be RTS but what's the point of an RTS with terrible production values (if there's any point to yet another RTS, period, like ever again).

Seems like it has to be RTS but what's the point of an RTS with terrible production values (if there's any point to yet another RTS, period, like ever again).

To me, the production values are irevelevant...it's whether or not they can put a unique spin on the genre (assuming it's an RPG/RTS) in the same way that they "fixed" the Diablo-clone action-RPG genre by implementing unique, emergent gameplay.

I doubt it's an RTS. They're not capable enough in terms of production values to compete with that market segment. Low-budget RTS just doesn't have the right ring to it, does it.

If it IS, it'll be more like an RPS.

I personally think we'll see something like Dhruin mentioned, or a straight-out Din's Curse in space.

The mercenary bit makes it sound like a Privateer game - and I'm definitely interested.

Loved Din's Curse, except it was too random. It needs direction and story. Rogue-likes are too abundant and most are free. Din's Curse doesn't set itself apart enough to really be worth the price - not to me, at least - though I did buy it. I can't figure out how to re-install it though, as I lost my original mail.

But I digress…..

*EDIT*

Just noticed that someone made the same point. Sorry ;)

To me, the production values are irevelevant…it's whether or not they can put a unique spin on the genre (assuming it's an RPG/RTS) in the same way that they "fixed" the Diablo-clone action-RPG genre by implementing unique, emergent gameplay.
I don't think Ingmar Bergman and Sid Meier could team up and make the RTS genre new and fresh at this point, let alone a one man team.

I don't think Ingmar Bergman and Sid Meier could team up and make the RTS genre new and fresh at this point, let alone a one man team.
Never thought that it could be possible to put in the same sentence those two, and make it sound coherent. :lol:

I do have a lot of game ideas I would like to do someday, an RTS isn't one of them. I suppose I could chance my mind though.

Back
Top Bottom