|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Skyrim - Why It Should Be Your GotY

Default Skyrim - Why It Should Be Your GotY

May 13th, 2011, 00:57
Another link from Zohaib with Gaming Irresponsibly getting ahead of themselves and suggesting Skyrim for Game of the Year. In the end, it's the premise for a standard preview overview:
The title speaks for itself. First off, itís being developed by RPG powerhouse Bethesda, so thats a no-brainer. Even beyond that, every new trailer and teaser for the epic game looks like it should only bring more joy for all the gamer boys and girls. Let me explain why: Every Elder Scroll game released to date has had an epic story and overarching lore, and Skyrim isnít anything new. Itís been around since Elder Scrolls: Arena. Thatís how devoted Bethesda is to the source material. You can spend days pouring over the lore and books scattered across Cyrodill in OblivionĖand I donít expect Skyrim to be any different. Forget Bioware and their take on the space epic (also forget Dragon Age, eww) because Bethesda has plans to blow them out of the water with this new title due out in the fall.
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 13th, 2011, 00:57
Oh geeze, a real fanboy there. Never mind that Oblivion was, in the minds of many long time fans of the series, one of the weakest yet, the npcs were dull, lifeless generic clones (in spite of the hyped Radiant AI claims) and the story for the main quest was standard save the world from evil guy trying to destroy it cliche with lots and lots of repetitive Oblivion gate dungeons to flesh out the bulk of it. Also never mind that there were zero choices and consequences.

I will say they do some things well like creating a visually attractive environment to freely run around in, but the ES games tend to be weak in some other areas that RPGs traditionally tend to be strong in, like story and characters. I bet that even Dragon Age 2 has a better story and more lively characters than Skyrim, but hey, you can do Dragon Shouts ™ in Skyrim! (And yes I realize they are completely different style of games but the author of that article made the comparison to begin with)

As for GOTY, well let's at least wait until it is released.

Motoki

Keeper of the Watch

May 13th, 2011, 01:13
Well the graphics look great that doesn't mean the story will be great. I really couldn't get into oblivion at all. But was able find the strenght some how to finish DA2.***side note maybe because DA2 was so weak and easy*** I will buy Skyrim I just it doesn't get removed from my hard drive in a day or two and the box sits with Oblivion with dust on it.

CelticFrost

Sentinel

May 13th, 2011, 01:25
Originally Posted by Motoki View Post
Oh geeze, a real fanboy there. Never mind that Oblivion was, in the minds of many long time fans of the series, one of the weakest yet, the npcs were dull, lifeless generic clones (in spite of the hyped Radiant AI claims) and the story for the main quest was standard save the world from evil guy trying to destroy it cliche with lots and lots of repetitive Oblivion gate dungeons to flesh out the bulk of it. Also never mind that there were zero choices and consequences.
Oblivion isnt their latest RPG though. I think FO3 was better than Oblivion, they did learn a few things from mistakes they did with Oblivion, and now they've learned from mistakes they did in FO3. I'm sure it'll be a great game.. This or Risen2 (if it comes out 2011) will be GOTY, at least for me.

vurt

Serial Modderer

May 13th, 2011, 02:13
Is he a serious writer? This reads more like a trolling forum post with no substance to back it up, apart from a few pictures and a trailer that look alright.
This kind of fanboy drivel should be ridiculed until further notice. It didn't even warrant a link Dhruin, unless you were trying to point out that he's a moron.

Sin

Recluse

May 13th, 2011, 03:08
Within reason, coverage and time available, I try to honour links that readers send in.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 13th, 2011, 03:14
Originally Posted by Motoki View Post
Oh geeze, a real fanboy there. Never mind that Oblivion was, in the minds of many long time fans of the series, one of the weakest yet
And for the vast majority it was by far the best.

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words

May 13th, 2011, 03:21
Originally Posted by DoctorNarrative View Post
And for the vast majority it was by far the best.
Eh, maybe for people who didn't play prior titles in the series… By and large, the majority of people who played Morrowind thought it the superior title.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

May 13th, 2011, 03:27
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Eh, maybe for people who didn't play prior titles in the seriesÖ By and large, the majority of people who played Morrowind thought it the superior title.
Well, I'm not really sure that's true. I don't think we have any kind of hard data on that either. Either way though it's not really what I said… the point is Oblivion is by far the most popular game in the series and by far the best selling, so when core RPG enthusiasts try to act like it was a failure of some kind it makes me chuckle.

YOU might not like it. I didn't really like it either. But it is by far the biggest and best TES game according to the vast majority of fans.

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words

May 13th, 2011, 05:12
Why Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Should Be Your Game Of The Year
Still, not much is known about the game other than a few key facts
Getting ahead of themselves is to put it mildly lol…

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

May 13th, 2011, 06:19
Originally Posted by DoctorNarrative View Post
YOU might not like it. I didn't really like it either. But it is by far the biggest and best TES game according to the vast majority of fans.
So you're assuming that all of those fans played both games? It sounds like you're making that statement based on sales alone. I think you're smarter than that.

JDR13

SasqWatch

May 13th, 2011, 07:49
The only strength of Beth games is the huge moding community that does wonders to theyr games and greatly rises interest into them, other than that they are preety much medicore productions.

Thats what ppls tend to forget offten

Fraper

Keeper of the Watch

May 13th, 2011, 08:08
Originally Posted by Fraper View Post
Thats what ppls tend to forget offten
People also tend to forget that the games are also available on consoles, which doesnt have a modding community and is a much bigger market..

I think they do a lot of things right, I especially enjoyed the side quests in Oblivion for example, they were often quite imaginative and a lot better than the boring main story.

vurt

Serial Modderer

May 13th, 2011, 08:26
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
People also tend to forget that the games are also available on consoles, which doesnt have a modding community and is a much bigger market..

I think they do a lot of things right, I especially enjoyed the side quests in Oblivion for example, they were often quite imaginative and a lot better than the boring main story.
Not anymore as according to Devs Skyrim will have mod support PC<>Consoles

Anyway i hope Skyrim will be a lot beter than Oblivion

Fraper

Keeper of the Watch

May 13th, 2011, 08:35
First off, it’s being developed by RPG powerhouse Bethesda, so thats a no-brainer.
This is a summary of everything thats wrong with modern reviewsites.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

May 13th, 2011, 08:38
I'd be happy to see this or anything else get GOTY over that crappy Mass Effect III {series} that damn near every gaming site claims each year.

Khalus

Whatever…

May 13th, 2011, 08:49
Lol, and that guy wanted teach me a lesson about DA2? A fan of Oblivion? Clowns, but I'm not surprised, more sort of expected.

Dasale

SasqWatch

May 13th, 2011, 09:18
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
So you're assuming that all of those fans played both games? It sounds like you're making that statement based on sales alone. I think you're smarter than that.
There's more to the series than just two games, though it seems a lot of people assume that anyone who played Morrowind is suddenly an expert on the series and a long term fan. There is this well documented see-saw between TES products - fans of Daggerfall didn't all like Morrowind, and for the size of the forums the vitriol around Morrowind was HUGE. Many (but not all) people who enjoyed Daggerfall and Arena preferred Oblivion to Morrowind, as the world setting was more in keeping with the series. However, those new fans who came on board with Morrowind didn't like the return with Oblivion.

I enjoyed both, but I still put Daggerfall as my favourite in the series, followed by Oblivion.

kalniel

SasqWatch

May 13th, 2011, 09:31
Ok so a game we know next to nothing about will be GotY over other games we know very little or nothing about like Diablo 3 and Twitcher2 .
Personally i am sure Egosoft will create my GotY and having watch 1 trailer and 2 screenshots i am sure that X-rebirth will be the game of 21st century.

Tragos

Otinanist

May 13th, 2011, 09:40
Mesmerizing that people keep refering to sales to expand a game qualities.

This is circular: the gaming industry is built on a pay to see model, meaning only one legal way to assess a game by playing it oneself, that is buying the game.

In the end, no matter its qualities, a game has to be bought in order to be assessed. Meaning the population who spoke about the game is quite heteroclite in the making.

Same thing as in wrestling: it is like claiming that John C. is an excellent wrestler because he brings people on wrestling arena seats while it is clear that some people just buy a ticket to boo him because they think he is such a disgrace to wrestling he deserves to pay to express the indignation.

I am replaying Oblivion. I havent played it for three years and it means quite a lot of modules are changing the game. This experience is shaping my perspective on what could be Skyrim. I am waiting to see what kind of games Bethesda is going to deliver.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Skyrim - Why It Should Be Your GotY