|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fable 2 - No Plans for PC Version

Default Fable 2 - No Plans for PC Version

May 16th, 2011, 22:19
I think we figured by now there'd be no Fable II for PC but Beefjack has some comments on the reason from Senior Designer Mike West:
“With Fable III the team and time was right to create a PC version,” he told BeefJack. “Once the game went to submission the content creators started working on DLC and therefore the coders were free to start on the PC version.
“Unfortunately for Fable II fans, those same coders are already working on new projects and going back to a Fable II conversion isn’t a priority I’m afraid.”
"Not a priority" is the important bit, I think.
More information.
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,968

Default 

May 16th, 2011, 22:19
Fable2 will never come to PC, OMG, can't believe this!
Poor PC players will never enjoy that masterpiece and will be miserable till the rest of their pathetic lives. It's the end of the world!

Someone should send a message to Microsoft regarding their keeping nonPC "pet" out of PC:
Ask us if we care.

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#2

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,178

Default 

May 16th, 2011, 22:40
Someone in charge of such things let slip in a previous interview (forget who and when, sorry, but I believe it was a producer-type, not a designer) why Fable 2 didn't come to pc and, by extension, why Fable 3 has been so thoroughly delayed.

They've decided, rightly or wrongly, that piracy on the pc side is so widespread as to make profitability a question mark. Furthermore, they know a good portion of serious gamers have both a pc and xbox 360. By either not releasing a pc version (Fable 2) or delaying the hell out of it (Fable 3) they can push consumers toward the xbox route, which nearly guarantees an actual sale.

I don't like it at all. However, I believe they are essentially correct with their numbers. Xbox games can be pirated, but it requires much, much more of a commitment (financial: pay for mod chip, risk damage to xbox, risk banning from xbox live; also, time/effort/competence required to install mod chip, and to stay ahead of Microsoft updates). In their position I would probably do something similar.
warkwark is offline

warkwark

Traveler

#3

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8

Default 

May 16th, 2011, 22:45
It would require an absolutely minimal effort to convert Fable 2 to PC, considering they converted Fable 3. They run on nearly identical engines - and it wouldn't require much planning to include the previous game in the process.

At least, I don't see how it could.

No matter how widespread piracy is - there's no way Fable 2 wouldn't sell enough to compensate them for the relatively trivial effort of converting two very similar games, instead of just one.

So, the only explanation I can come up with - is that they're idiots, or that it's part of some contract of exclusivity that they can't reveal.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#4

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,807

Default 

May 16th, 2011, 23:05
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
It would require an absolutely minimal effort to convert Fable 2 to PC, considering they converted Fable 3. They run on nearly identical engines - and it wouldn't require much planning to include the previous game in the process.

At least, I don't see how it could.

No matter how widespread piracy is - there's no way Fable 2 wouldn't sell enough to compensate them for the relatively trivial effort of converting two very similar games, instead of just one.

So, the only explanation I can come up with - is that they're idiots, or that it's part of some contract of exclusivity that they can't reveal.
There was an interview were they claimed it was a new engine developed for the 360 and couldn't be ported. Well we all know bullshit when its uttered and engines can be ported.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

#5

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Potato Land
Posts: 10,106

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 00:06
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
There was an interview were they claimed it was a new engine developed for the 360 and couldn't be ported. Well we all know bullshit when its uttered and engines can be ported.
Definitely bullshit
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#6

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,807

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 00:49
I would have bought and played the game had it come out on PC, but like Halo 3 and Gears of War 2 it's not really breaking my heart that I missed it. Of those three I guess I would take Halo 3 first, just to finish the trilogy we got parts one and two of on PC.

Anyway, it does suck I will have Fable and Fable 3 on my shelf with no Fable 2. OCD VIOLATION!
DoctorNarrative is offline

DoctorNarrative

DoctorNarrative's Avatar
Patroling Written Words

#7

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,825

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 01:23
Yeah, OK. Fair enough. It's also not a priority for me to buy their crappy console game.
Capt. Huggy Face is offline

Capt. Huggy Face

Capt. Huggy Face's Avatar
Magicky Utok

#8

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,031

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 03:57
What will there excuse be when Fable 3 is a failure? Oh I forgot it will be the usual piracy excuse instead of the actuality which is not releasing Fable 2, making crappy games, and releasing it on the same day as other better games.
guenthar is online now

guenthar

SasqWatch

#9

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,568
Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 07:21
I was thinking about getting this for the 360 (i did enjoy Fable 2), but after researching it seems that the only thing that is better in Fable 3 is the graphics, everything else including story and combat is worse in F3. Anyone seen a list of fixes (if any) for the PC version?
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
Serial Modderer

#10

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 1,642

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 12:26
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
There was an interview were they claimed it was a new engine developed for the 360 and couldn't be ported. Well we all know bullshit when its uttered and engines can be ported.
Definitely not bullshit. The portability of code is greatly dependent on the way it is written, i.e. with portability in mind. That said, they could reimplement the whole deal and make it work, but would that be cost-effective. Moreover, you want the same programmers/designers working on it, as it's their code and it would cost you a lot more to throw a new team on it.

But sure, think of it what you will.
Thaurin is offline

Thaurin

SasqWatch

#11

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,417

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 12:27
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
There was an interview were they claimed it was a new engine developed for the 360 and couldn't be ported. Well we all know bullshit when its uttered and engines can be ported.
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Definitely bullshit
Definitely not bullshit. The portability of code is greatly dependent on the way it is written, i.e. with portability in mind. That said, they could reimplement the whole deal and make it work, but would that be cost-effective. Moreover, you want the same programmers/designers working on it, as it's their code and it would cost you a lot more to throw a new team on it.

But sure, think of it what you will.
Thaurin is offline

Thaurin

SasqWatch

#12

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,417

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 12:42
Originally Posted by Thaurin View Post
Definitely not bullshit. The portability of code is greatly dependent on the way it is written, i.e. with portability in mind. That said, they could reimplement the whole deal and make it work, but would that be cost-effective. Moreover, you want the same programmers/designers working on it, as it's their code and it would cost you a lot more to throw a new team on it.

But sure, think of it what you will.
The games look VERY much alike - and if they'd planned for it, it's my claim that it would have been VERY cost-effective.

You see, I played both of them - and I had a very hard time telling them apart in terms of the visuals.

Are you seriously suggesting that they went and rewrote the engine for the third game in a way that changed the basics entirely - and managed to make them look and perform so similarly?

However, at this stage - it would most likely be a lot of work, because as you say - the team from Fable 2 is probably working on something else entirely.

The "idiot" part, is not planning for a conversion from the beginning - so they could combine their effort for both games.

They've just spent a lot of time converting Fable 3 - so why the hell not throw in the second game in that process?

Even with your "portability" argument in mind - why would they suddenly make Fable 3 less exclusive during development and THEN spend so many months getting the PC version out? It smacks of inane planning.

Even ignoring the lost sales of Fable 2 PC - they're also hurting the sales of Fable 3 - because a lot of people won't play a third game without the story of the second one.

I'm afraid I must insist it's utterly stupid not to have included the second game once conversion plans were set in motion.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#13

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,807

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 12:56
Marketing :

"And now in ONE package - for HALF the price ! :

Fable 1 & 3 !!!"

Kid : "OMG, isn't there something missing ?"

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#14

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 16,000

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 13:32
I'm not very familiar with Fable 2 or 3, its graphics or marketing, so I just assumed. I don't know why a developer in this day and age would not develop their game with portability in mind, maybe cost? I don't think it takes that much more planning, just a skilled team. But I suppose, like the text says, the guys who did it have moved on, which is a real problem here.
Thaurin is offline

Thaurin

SasqWatch

#15

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,417

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 13:39
Originally Posted by Thaurin View Post
I'm not very familiar with Fable 2 or 3, its graphics or marketing, so I just assumed. I don't know why a developer in this day and age would not develop their game with portability in mind, maybe cost? I don't think it takes that much more planning, just a skilled team. But I suppose, like the text says, the guys who did it have moved on, which is a real problem here.
Given how (relatively) similar the PC and Xbox 360 platforms are - and the experience of Lionhead with both - it makes no sense to me at all.

I'm not saying the conversion process is trivial - not at all. I'm saying that when you choose to convert the third game - running on similar tech - you'd be a fool not to spend the extra time/effort to get the second game out there.

If they'd have abandoned the PC entirely, it'd make more sense to me.

This decision is just odd - all the way around.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#16

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,807

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 14:16
I don't know that the PC and Xbox 360 platforms are that similar. Xbox 360 is based on PowerPC tech and a custom video card, but I would assume that Microsoft put some of their own libraries on there, like DirectX. Still, Xbox 360 would require a much keener eye on resource handling and management due to it being more limited. But I don't think Xbox 360 is "just a PC" in a nice box.
Thaurin is offline

Thaurin

SasqWatch

#17

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,417

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 14:24
Originally Posted by Thaurin View Post
I don't know that the PC and Xbox 360 platforms are that similar. Xbox 360 is based on PowerPC tech and a custom video card, but I would assume that Microsoft put some of their own libraries on there, like DirectX. Still, Xbox 360 would require a much keener eye on resource handling and management due to it being more limited. But I don't think Xbox 360 is "just a PC" in a nice box.
No one said it was just a PC in a box.

However limited the Xbox 360 might be, it's pretty irrelevant when the conversion is Xbox -> PC.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#18

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,807

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 14:32
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
However limited the Xbox 360 might be, it's pretty irrelevant when the conversion is Xbox -> PC.
Except you might be using tricks that are unavailable to a PC. But these tricks may not be necessary for the PC version; however, it could have been worked deep into the engine for all I know. I'm not a game engine developer.
Thaurin is offline

Thaurin

SasqWatch

#19

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,417

Default 

May 17th, 2011, 14:35
I believe that many games are being developed on the PC platform, and then compiled to be runnable on the xbox …

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#20

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 16,000
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fable 2 - No Plans for PC Version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:48.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch