Quantcast
What to play on a tablet? - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What to play on a tablet?

Default What to play on a tablet?

June 18th, 2016, 15:43
So while I'm away from my computer for a month I'm just getting more and more bored. Is there anything remotely interesting to play on tablet that anyone can recommend? There are some interesting games such as FFVI and This War of Mine but its hard to keep focus up due to the small screen on a tablet.
Please, I need some advice before I go insane!

Edit: android tablet, that probably matters….
--
Though the monsters lurk in the hateful marshes, I will dance on the Stygian river.
And I will be beautiful. For though I am not pure, I am honest.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/NyxVampiria/

Nyx

Goddess of the Night
RPGWatch Team

June 18th, 2016, 23:25
Its not too late to get iPad as it has lot more choice…

I can recommend The Banner Saga for andriod
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d…nnerSaga&hl=en

lostforever

SasqWatch

June 18th, 2016, 23:34
Did you play Shadowrun: Dragonfall? I believe that's on Android, and I really liked it.

Ripper

Little England Refugee

June 19th, 2016, 00:04
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
Its not too late to get iPad as it has lot more choice…

I can recommend The Banner Saga for andriod
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d…nnerSaga&hl=en
Neat, didn't know that was on play, maybe its more bearable on a small screen.

Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Did you play Shadowrun: Dragonfall? I believe that's on Android, and I really liked it.
Already played shadowrun on my computer really good game though. The setting is just up my alley
--
Though the monsters lurk in the hateful marshes, I will dance on the Stygian river.

Nyx

Goddess of the Night
RPGWatch Team

June 19th, 2016, 00:10
Puzzle Quest and its sequels, or you could try Seduku!!
--
If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

June 19th, 2016, 00:12
Avernum: Escape From the Pit is a good port on Android. The Baldur's Gate 1 & 2: EEs and Icewind Dale: EE, also good.

There's lots of interesting stuff for Android. You just have to dig around a bit. Look at what others have installed and what is recommended when you search for something like Avernum.

What size screen is your tablet, btw? I wouldn't recommend anything less than 8" for serious gaming. It can be done, but some games can be much harder to play, obviously. 8" is the base size for fun gaming on tablet.

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

June 19th, 2016, 00:28
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Puzzle Quest and its sequels, or you could try Seduku!!
All I can find is puzzle quest 2 by bandai, is that what you mean?

Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
Avernum: Escape From the Pit is a good port on Android. The Baldur's Gate 1 & 2: EEs and Icewind Dale: EE, also good.

There's lots of interesting stuff for Android. You just have to dig around a bit. Look at what others have installed and what is recommended when you search for something like Avernum.

What size screen is your tablet, btw? I wouldn't recommend anything less than 8" for serious gaming. It can be done, but some games can be much harder to play, obviously. 8" is the base size for fun gaming on tablet.
Trust me I've tried to dig. But its hard to find any good fishes in the ocean of energy clickers and microtransaction rpg clones. Not really sure what size the screen is, but its the nvidia shield, which was intended for gaming. I still find it hard to play longer than short sessions though, would love something that either is fun to play in short sessions or more easy to play on small screens
--

Nyx

Goddess of the Night
RPGWatch Team

June 19th, 2016, 00:29
You can also download emulators, which gives you access to so many more choices.

NES/SNES/Genesis/PS1/N64/Nintendo DS/PSP are just some of the systems I emulate on my tablet. Lots of great stuff on all these systems, obviously.

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

June 19th, 2016, 00:30
I have a Shield, too. It's 8". I don't think it's too small. I play tons of RPGs on it like the ones I mentioned and emulators.

When I think of small screens I think of the Nvidia Shield Portable or PSP or something. Those are 5" screens and much too small to play most RPGs.

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

June 19th, 2016, 00:32
I have a Shield, too. It's 8". I don't think it's too small. I play tons of RPGs on it like the ones I mentioned and emulators.

When I think of small screens I think of the Nvidia Shield Portable or PSP or something. Those are 5" screens and much too small to play most RPGs.
I am quite possibly a bit spoiled from my PC screens
--

Nyx

Goddess of the Night
RPGWatch Team

June 19th, 2016, 00:34
Ys Chronicles, Final Fantasy Record Keeper, Dungeon Hero, Tales of Illyria, QuestLord, Raventhal, Avadon, Oubliette, HoMM 3 HD, Hearkenworld, Endless Nights, Dungeons of Evermore, Endless Depths, Exiled Kingdoms, Heroes of Steel, Lords of Midnight, KOTOR, Knights of Pen and Paper, Rise of the Setting Sun, Sorcery, Sorcery 2, Life of a Wizard, Terra Battle.

Those are just some others I have installed that I didn't mention above. All RPGs or RPG-related.

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

+1:

June 19th, 2016, 00:38
Quite the extensive list, thanks!
--

Nyx

Goddess of the Night
RPGWatch Team

+1:

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

June 19th, 2016, 00:48
I'm sort of the resident tablet nerd. Lots of good RPG gaming on tablets with more coming all the time.

If you really want to tap into the Shield's potential, not only with PC-streaming of games and Android games, but also with emulators and stuff, I suggest this as a controller. - https://www.amazon.com/IPEGA-Telesco…/dp/B00RE6FMD8

It really helps unlock the tablet and turns it into essentially an 8" mobile console that can play a ton of different games.

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

June 19th, 2016, 00:55
Broken sword

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Warlod

Watcher
Original Sin 2 Donor

June 19th, 2016, 01:26
I'm sort of the resident tablet nerd. Lots of good RPG gaming on tablets with more coming all the time.

If you really want to tap into the Shield's potential, not only with PC-streaming of games and Android games, but also with emulators and stuff, I suggest this as a controller. - https://www.amazon.com/IPEGA-Telesco…/dp/B00RE6FMD8

It really helps unlock the tablet and turns it into essentially an 8" mobile console that can play a ton of different games.
Gotta admit I was slightly disappointed with Shield. Mostly due to its awkward controller, terrible WiFi solution and battery life.. And the disease that is play store doesn't do much to help. I really wish they would do something to make it easier to find stuff I actually want without having to spend days trying to tailor it to show something remotely fun.
--

Nyx

Goddess of the Night
RPGWatch Team

June 19th, 2016, 02:28
The ones i've enjoyed on my Shield tablet are:
- Baldur's Gate 1/2
- Icewind Dale 1/2
- Shadowrun series
- Avernum
- Aralon: Sword and Shadow

But if you want a REALLY big library to play from, download DOSBOX Turbo and play all the classics like Ultima 7, Betrayal and Krondor and Daggerfall. (recommend bluetooth mouse and keyboard, or at least a USB-OTG cable)

I almost recommended X:COM and Grimrock then realized I was playing those on my iPhone I wish they would come to Android (X:COM is on Android, just not Shield).
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

+1:

June 19th, 2016, 02:31
I love my Shield 😁. I had the Shield Portable too but sold it. I also modified my Shield to add a battery pack that adds about 3 times more battery life. The IPEGA controller also improves things greatly. With a little work you can pretty much stream any PC games that have controller support. I also use a 3rd party mapping software to make some games without native controller support work on the Shield as well.

It does take work to get the most out of it, though. I came from a PSP and this is such a huge upgrade it's not even close.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

June 19th, 2016, 02:43
Additionally, if you're on the go a lot but have time to sit down sometimes, i'm loving the Mad Catz STRIKE kit:

Comes with the stand and keyboard and carrying case. Especially useful for Dosbox gaming. I borrowed one from a friend and will be ordering my own soon.
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

June 19th, 2016, 02:45
Originally Posted by NyxVampiria View Post
Gotta admit I was slightly disappointed with Shield. Mostly due to its awkward controller, terrible WiFi solution and battery life.. And the disease that is play store doesn't do much to help. I really wish they would do something to make it easier to find stuff I actually want without having to spend days trying to tailor it to show something remotely fun.
Wifi seems OK on mine, but I also use a 5g network, and I think the Shield works better with that.

Had the controller but had no use for it and sold it.

Battery life is decent for me. I have the revised battery version. It drains quickly when heavy gaming through, which is why I added the battery pack. Battery saver mode can help but decreases performance quite a bit.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What to play on a tablet?