|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

February 5th, 2009, 03:45
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
Im at chapter 14/14 of TUROK. This is a rather average FPS although with some cool dino melee bashing in it. The story is enough to keep me going.

That game is terrible, one of the worst first-person shooters I've played in a long time. I only allowed myself to suffer till chapter 4 before moving on to something much better.

JDR13

SasqWatch

February 5th, 2009, 04:58
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
That game is terrible, one of the worst first-person shooters I've played in a long time. I only allowed myself to suffer till chapter 4 before moving on to something much better.
Here is a fun aside: list some of your crappiest FPS (commercial) in recent memory:
- Breed
- Kreed

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

February 5th, 2009, 21:58
I have spent most of the day trying to finish Red Faction. The game is really outdated by todays standard.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

February 6th, 2009, 07:37
Lords of Everquest - getting ready to re-shelve it fairly soon. Making an effort to chip away at the backlog of older bargain-bought games still in the plastic.

RTS in the land of Everquest, back in the days when WoW was just hitting the scene, and Sony thought that maybe theyd try their hand at Blizzard's game. I dont think they realized how far the pendulum was going to swing the other way when it came to Blizzard trying their song and dance..

But anyway, it's a WC-esque take on the EQ lore. It's different in some ways - scaled back resource and base management. Only one resource, Platinum. No need most times in SP to build up that much, most of the missions are of the pre-set-army-that-discovers-reinforcements variety. And there's something to be said for that, I kinda like just focusing on the tactics. But that's where it kinda falls apart… the unit control is pretty bad. Unit stances are nonexistent, well they might as well be, since every time you issue a move order they go back to the default 'aggressive' and will chase an enemy across the map.

I like the way that all your units gain xp as they fight, and subsequently level up, granting them new powers eventually. Each mission youre also awarded points that you can spend to take a few of your favorite minions to the next stage w/ you upon completion of the level. So they bumped-up the rpg, and that's kinda cool, unfortunately the enemy ai is so utterly lame - you end up all dressed up w/ nowhere to go. They act just like they do in the MMO, standing around waiting for you to come and grind on them, it's like the whole map is just a series of creeps, parsed by a few scripted encounters. Theyll never show up at your base or anything, so there's no need to build defenses or be anxious about a home invasion. I like to turtle sometimes and just see how long i can last, definitely a no-go in this game.

All in all, it was worth the like 6 bucks or so i paid for it, it's a little fun now and then running my little lion guy hero around whooping on things, but it's gettin old quick. Another one bites the dust!

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

February 6th, 2009, 08:27
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Here is a fun aside: list some of your crappiest FPS (commercial) in recent memory:
I went over to gamerankings.com and made a search for worst FPS on PC with at least 5 reviews. You are EMPTY ended up as #15. Appearently "Navy SEALs: Weapons of Mass Destruction" is an experience so unique, that gamespot beyond it's hillarious review decided to make a video with it's flaws.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

February 6th, 2009, 11:39
Ah - that reminds me that I have played two games very 'high' on that list:

World War II Combat: Iwo Jima

World War II Combat: Road to Berlin

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

February 6th, 2009, 13:40
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
hillarious review
That game is full of hills ? or the gamespot staff was writing it while driving on hills ? hmm.

Sorry JM, could not resist I know you mean hilarious, hillarious means, like the turtles body is hillarious.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

February 6th, 2009, 16:07
**crickets chirping in the background**

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

February 6th, 2009, 19:47
The list… the list… ah, the memories…
I forgot to set a minimum number of reviews and was awarded with the title of a game I thought I had successfully erased from my memory.
Rebel Moon Rising… back then THE reference title for the brand-new MMX-chipsets.
Vhoa, pretty colors!
Vhoa, one stinker of a game!
I still finished it, like I finished all shooters back then (unless technical problems prevented me from finishing them).

Man, this makes me want to replay RotH and Cybermage.

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

February 7th, 2009, 18:05
I installed the first "Battle of Middleearth" games by EA today.

But - does anyone of you know why the patching process just stops ?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

February 7th, 2009, 20:32
I decided to go back to Gears of War, which I originally discontinued in act 1 due to boredom. I do not know exactly why, but I still find the game somewhat boring.

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

February 8th, 2009, 00:11
I was playing the game this evening (and night).

After downloading the 1.02 patch first and then applying it and then after that using the auto-patcher, it suddenly somehow worked.

Weird.

I was having fun with the game, but missed the bonus mission objectives too often.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

February 9th, 2009, 08:25
I liked BFME, tho i didnt finish it all the way. I found the key to winning the missions in that game was to strike really early, and if you carried over some good minions from last level, it's kinda easy. But it's the Tolkien thing - it's fun to play out the story anyway, and all round it was a fun game for me for that reason.

Scrapped "Lords of Everquest", now heading for the next title hanging out on my backlog shelf Titles that Time Forgot that I think I can eliminate. Hopefully not, I hope "stronghold legends" really is good. I liked, no LOVED the first Stronghold, one of my favorite games of all time, but Ive been wary to spend anything more than 9.99 on stronghold II, i hear it's a real dog. Legends came in sideways thanks to a gogamer sale. We'll see, i think i looks kinda cool.

Besides that, playing Sacred II. Was pretty bored at first, but now the game's opening up a bit and I'm enjoying it. The look kinda reminds me of spellforce II at times. Doing the Dryad thing, she's pretty powerful.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

February 9th, 2009, 08:45
Hey Sammy, whatever happened to playing King's Bounty?

JDR13

SasqWatch

February 9th, 2009, 09:03
Turn-based games put me to sleep, they just knock me out. It's like, I go into a sort of hypnosis after a while or something. Doesnt matter how great the game is, that sort of play just tends to get me. I call it TBN -turn based narcolepsy.

It's a great game, by all rights I should be able to stay awake, but after a while I'm finding myself going into the twilight zone yet again. I plan on playing it more, hoping that I can beat this turn-based narcolepsy that strikes me. I need to make a point to play it earlier in the evening at like 5, if I play it past 8pm or so Im out. It's not like I'm really bored or anything, it's just.. ZZZZzzzzzzzzz **starts drooling***

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

February 9th, 2009, 10:17
Lol, well good luck on overcoming your TBN disability. I'm not a huge fan of TB strategy games myself, but I thought King's Bounty was definitely something special.

JDR13

SasqWatch

February 9th, 2009, 10:53
Speaking of TB, I'm still hooked on Civ IV. I finally graduated from Noble and went Prince. I'm still losing at that level, but at least I'm losing with honor instead of getting my ass kicked all around the block from first grade, like I was back at school or something.

I was actually a bit let down until that move; all my Noble games were more or less the same — big land grab followed by a race to the alphabet, then a mostly peaceful tech level race, followed by a few short, sharp wars once past gunpowder and with a comfortable tech edge over your neighbors/victims, followed by your choice of victory. Unless I got distracted and let someone pull a Space Victory behind my back or something. The most exciting thing to happen was Genghiz Khan landing a surprise naval attack next to my capital and capturing it for a few rounds.

But Prince… damn, it's a whole new game. You have to play like a real mean bastard from the get-go: start by slave-raiding your neighbors for workers (and periodically wreck their developments, and of course capture any new settlements they try to found), then graduate to coastal raids on further neighbors for gold and to keep them from developing their tiles, and then… well, I'm sure there's *some* way I can turn that into something other than bankruptcy through imperial overreach/grinding halt through war-weariness/defeat through a long, tedious war of attrition during which someone else gets too strong and beats me. It's total war from the moment someone picks up a stick in 4000BC, just the way I like it.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

February 9th, 2009, 11:33
It is amazing how meaningful the difficulty levels are in Civ IV … I still can't begin to compete at the highest levels, no shame there.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

February 9th, 2009, 14:08
Introduction, robot-behaving children in extreme melancholy walks through the rain with a child-size doll, which they then bury in the earth in a burial ceremony, while strange music is playing in the background.

Take a truckload of philosophy and throw it into an Oblivion-style free-roaming world, extremely poor fps style combat, an adventure-style dialogue-driven quest system, a 2001-3 graphics engine, music that fits no genre I know, bizarre creatures/artwork that looks like spawned from a drugged mind and an extremely complex story about defeating death itself in a dying city, and you have Russian Pathologic, a game that is so unique that can barely be explained in any simple terms. I tried to play it a few years back and failed to get far and decided to give the game another chance. Is it good? I don't know. I find it's extreme uniqueness almost forcing me to try to finish the game.

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

February 9th, 2009, 14:27
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
It is amazing how meaningful the difficulty levels are in Civ IV … I still can't begin to compete at the highest levels, no shame there.
Yeah, they don't pull any punches, and the little finks team up to pummel you, too. I can see them plotting in their little silicon minds — "Pile-up on the meatbag in 3-2-1…"

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?