|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

February 9th, 2009, 16:21
I'm still in the midst of my King's Bounty addiction, playing through this time with a mage on hard. I can see it being a game that has to be laid down sooner or later but calls you back after a rest for at least an annual replay.

To lighten my obsessive compulsions, also picked up the latest Virtual Villagers(#3) which is fun to tweak around with when I need a break.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.
magerette is offline

magerette

magerette's Avatar
Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

#2161

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,929

Default 

February 9th, 2009, 18:27
Pathologic made me so depressed I had to stop for awhile. It really killed my soul. I had to take a break and get back to Mirror's Edge.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine
JemyM is offline

JemyM

JemyM's Avatar
Okay, now roll sanity.

#2162

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,027
Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Default 

February 9th, 2009, 19:29
I'm playing a truly great console RPG right now called Panzer Dragoon Saga.


I also reinstalled Gears of War to play on the side. Seeing others here talk about it recently made me want to play it again.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2163

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,662

Default 

February 11th, 2009, 20:45
I'm still playing Battle of/for Middleearth I. It's fun, but I see where it becomes more difficult.

Sometimes I wonder how the enemy is able to produce so many troops ?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is online now

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#2164

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,932

Default 

February 11th, 2009, 23:04
well arx fatalis is five dollars on steam now. and civlization iv still piques my interest every now and then.

and I'm looking here on steam, and seeing eschalon for under twenty usd. obviously trying to appeal to eldr styles of the crpg and when m&m, ultima, wizardry are all mentioned in the same sentence, I perk (cheap I know). but I guess I'm more interested in first person party based. I've become a very picky, bitter gamer fueled mostly by nostalgia and sentimentalism, admittantly. I don't know, what could convince me to play this?
spars is offline

spars

Watcher

#2165

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 30

Default 

February 12th, 2009, 14:07
Here's an update of my "progress" in Civ IV at Prince level thus far:

(1) Played as Japan. Faced off against Charlemagne. Launched slave raids on him from day one. Suddenly noticed that I was overextended, my research was at 10%. Then Asoka came and took all my toys away from me.

(2) Played as the Vikings, in an archipelago. Built my trading posts and coastal raiders. Slave raided my neighbors for workers. Then Frederick the Great built up a navy, sank half my raiders, and took my capital ('cuz all my axemen were out a-viking).

(3) Played as the Mongols. Had the Malinese for neighbors. Raided them and kept them down pretty well, but made the mistake of not taking their outpost town. They cultured it up so much that they absorbed my outpost town.

(4) Played as the Mongols again. Started a war against Moctezuma, but played it too close to the wire, and ended up doing whack-a-mole with his towns: as soon as I captured one, he'd capture one of the ones I'd capture previously (or found a new one). Too long supply lines. Then the Dutch declared war on me and rolled over me.

IOW, I'm losing in entirely new and exciting ways. Next time I'll try making a compact core civilization building for growth, and use a combination of light, fast forces for raiding and stacks for invading. But man, Prince level is hard — the furthest I've gotten to before the writing was clearly on the wall is about 1500 AD.
Prime Junta is offline

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

#2166

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,540

Default 

February 12th, 2009, 14:29
I'm clearing the decks for the arrival of Galactrix in a couple weeks (rather than starting another NWN2 or DivDiv attempt), so I installed a casual game I bought for Mrs dte, Ravenhearst. Find the hidden objects and solve a few puzzles to progress a mystery story. Simple stuff. I was up til 12:30… Never thought I'd get "just one more turn" disease from this sort of game. I'll just turn in my "hardcore gamer" card now, since my cred is pretty well shot.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!
dteowner is offline

dteowner

dteowner's Avatar
Shoegazer

#2167

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 11,272

Default 

February 13th, 2009, 11:31
Picked up LocoRoco 2 for PSP yesterday … just loads of fun!

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2168

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,338

Default 

February 13th, 2009, 13:13
Gaming have gone slow lately. Im dragging my self through a map of Mirror's Edge every day, but I have lots of things to do at school.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine
JemyM is offline

JemyM

JemyM's Avatar
Okay, now roll sanity.

#2169

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,027
Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Default 

February 13th, 2009, 15:02
Originally Posted by Prime Junta View Post
Here's an update of my "progress" in Civ IV at Prince level thus far:

(1) Played as Japan. Faced off against Charlemagne. Launched slave raids on him from day one. Suddenly noticed that I was overextended, my research was at 10%. Then Asoka came and took all my toys away from me.

(2) Played as the Vikings, in an archipelago. Built my trading posts and coastal raiders. Slave raided my neighbors for workers. Then Frederick the Great built up a navy, sank half my raiders, and took my capital ('cuz all my axemen were out a-viking).

(3) Played as the Mongols. Had the Malinese for neighbors. Raided them and kept them down pretty well, but made the mistake of not taking their outpost town. They cultured it up so much that they absorbed my outpost town.

(4) Played as the Mongols again. Started a war against Moctezuma, but played it too close to the wire, and ended up doing whack-a-mole with his towns: as soon as I captured one, he'd capture one of the ones I'd capture previously (or found a new one). Too long supply lines. Then the Dutch declared war on me and rolled over me.

IOW, I'm losing in entirely new and exciting ways. Next time I'll try making a compact core civilization building for growth, and use a combination of light, fast forces for raiding and stacks for invading. But man, Prince level is hard — the furthest I've gotten to before the writing was clearly on the wall is about 1500 AD.
It is strating to sound like much more fun than I remmembered Civ 4 being, I am thinking I might start up again!!

I wounder if we could have a MP battle, seeing how we always discuss the best way to do things sure it will not say anything but it would be fun
GothicGothicness is offline

GothicGothicness

GothicGothicness's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2170

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,165

Default 

February 13th, 2009, 15:42
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I'm playing a truly great console RPG right now called Panzer Dragoon Saga.
Damn, that's a 1998 game, is it turn based? Where are you playing it?

I'm now playing Persona 4. Looks like it's as good as Persona 3 (which was pretty good)
wolfing is offline

wolfing

wolfing's Avatar
Wonders what SasqWatch is

#2171

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,189

Default 

February 13th, 2009, 15:54
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
It is strating to sound like much more fun than I remmembered Civ 4 being, I am thinking I might start up again!!

I wounder if we could have a MP battle, seeing how we always discuss the best way to do things sure it will not say anything but it would be fun
Walp, I tried my compact core civilization, and it worked out great, until I declared war on Augustus Caesar without realizing exactly *how* tough those Pretorians are. Now I know what Vercingetorix must have felt like (although I was playing as the Koreans, not the Celts).

I'm all for a MP battle… after I've won my first Prince level game. Grr.
Prime Junta is offline

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

#2172

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,540

Default 

February 13th, 2009, 18:14
Originally Posted by Prime Junta View Post
I'm all for a MP battle… after I've won my first Prince level game. Grr.
From the sounds of it, GG could be waiting for years.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!
dteowner is offline

dteowner

dteowner's Avatar
Shoegazer

#2173

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 11,272

Default 

February 13th, 2009, 21:13
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
Damn, that's a 1998 game, is it turn based? Where are you playing it?
Panzer Dragoon Saga has a great battle system. You have 3 gauges that fill up during battle, you can perform different actions depending on how many are full, then you have to allow them to recharge. Positioning also plays an important part in battles. It's the type of game you have to play to really understand it though.

I've had this game for over a Decade and this is my first time playing it. I bought a lot of Saturn games for cheap back when stores were liquidating them at the end of that system's life cycle. I have a huge bin full of Sega Saturn games, many of which are still shrink wrapped. I think I have just about every RPG that was ever released for the Saturn.

I'm glad I finally got around to playing it though, it truly is a classic. I used a Saturn emulator to play it because the copy I own is still sealed, and it's worth quite a bit of money. Only 30,000 copies were ever released in North America.

Because of the title’s limited print run, English-language copies of Panzer Dragoon Saga are, today, something of a rarity. What copies do exist tend to be recognized as valuable by their owners and, as a result, copies tend to sell for a relatively high price on eBay, often raking in over $200 US[3]. Although the game is frequently requested to be re-released on a modern format by fans, there is apparently no interest from within Sega in re-issuing it for any console whatsoever. Team leader Yukio Futatsugi has also confirmed that the original source code for the game has been lost, adding further weight to the unlikelihood of a port. There is now a demand from fans for the source code to be recovered.[1] Despite its scarcity, the game still enjoys a persistent following.

In addition to its persistent fan following, Panzer Dragoon Saga continues to be well-regarded by many critics and was featured in IGN.com's list of the top 100 games of all time in 2007
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2174

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,662

Default 

February 13th, 2009, 23:25
Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
From the sounds of it, GG could be waiting for years.
Likely.

I'm taking a break from it for now.

My latest game, in summary: played as the Byzantines. Took a defensive strategy: hub-and-spoke colonization, growth-oriented strategy, built the Great Wall and whole bunch of cultural stuff. Things went rather well; I was solidly in the middle of the pack for a quite a while; a few skirmishes with Shaka Zulu just to my south. Then I went on an ill-advised campaign against him: captured three cities and got him to convert to Buddhism. Then the Apostolic Palace ordered me to return one of them to him, leaving the biggest one completely isolated and indefensible. I eventually had to slink back home with most of my army intact but nothing to show for the war — except falling behind in research. I continued until about 1770, by which time Abraham Lincoln, Hannibal, Shaka Zulu, and Moctezuma were waging a war of extermination against me. I was holding off their attacks, but it turned into a grinding war of attrition that I really had no hope of winning (due to my tech disadvantage), so I resigned.

But it was certainly my most successful campaign yet. I was doing OK at the tactical level; what lost me the game was my poor strategic decision to go after Shaka Zulu before I was strong enough to really overwhelm him, compounded by my even stupider decision to request that he convert to Buddhism, thereby subjecting myself to the whims of the apostolic palace, or risk screwing up my critical alliance with my next-door neighbor, the Ottomans, and very likely get caught in a two-front war that would quickly crush me.

Come to think of it, it's kinda amusing that, as the Byzantines, my one, true friend through the entire game was the Ottoman Empire.
Prime Junta is offline

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

#2175

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,540

Default 

February 14th, 2009, 20:15
Originally Posted by Prime Junta View Post
Likely.

I'm taking a break from it for now.

My latest game, in summary: played as the Byzantines. Took a defensive strategy: hub-and-spoke colonization, growth-oriented strategy, built the Great Wall and whole bunch of cultural stuff. Things went rather well; I was solidly in the middle of the pack for a quite a while; a few skirmishes with Shaka Zulu just to my south. Then I went on an ill-advised campaign against him: captured three cities and got him to convert to Buddhism. Then the Apostolic Palace ordered me to return one of them to him, leaving the biggest one completely isolated and indefensible. I eventually had to slink back home with most of my army intact but nothing to show for the war — except falling behind in research. I continued until about 1770, by which time Abraham Lincoln, Hannibal, Shaka Zulu, and Moctezuma were waging a war of extermination against me. I was holding off their attacks, but it turned into a grinding war of attrition that I really had no hope of winning (due to my tech disadvantage), so I resigned.

But it was certainly my most successful campaign yet. I was doing OK at the tactical level; what lost me the game was my poor strategic decision to go after Shaka Zulu before I was strong enough to really overwhelm him, compounded by my even stupider decision to request that he convert to Buddhism, thereby subjecting myself to the whims of the apostolic palace, or risk screwing up my critical alliance with my next-door neighbor, the Ottomans, and very likely get caught in a two-front war that would quickly crush me.

Come to think of it, it's kinda amusing that, as the Byzantines, my one, true friend through the entire game was the Ottoman Empire.
Are you playing with the exspansion packs PJ? or just the core Civ 4 ?
GothicGothicness is offline

GothicGothicness

GothicGothicness's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2176

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,165

Default 

February 14th, 2009, 20:49
vikings weren't in the original i thought so i'm guessing he's playing at least warlords. though beyond the sword is by far the best of the 3 and its worth while to play all the different mod/scenarios as the gameplay in each is fairly unique.

back to playing imperium romanum myself which if i were to give it a score in the city-building category, for which it is, i would give it a 9.5. its perfect in nearly every way as it looks beautiful and more importantly plays like a dream. great stuff and easy to just pop back into for any amount of time. the tablet/objective system is unique and rewarding.
curious is offline

curious

curious's Avatar
liberty or license

#2177

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,386

Default 

February 14th, 2009, 21:36
You mean
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/…num/index.html
LOL, you and gamespot have a bit of a different taste, they also rated one of my favourite games low though.


vikings weren't in the original i thought so i'm guessing he's playing at least warlords. though beyond the sword is by far the best of the 3 and its worth while to play all the different mod/scenarios as the gameplay in each is fairly unique.

back to playing imperium romanum myself which if i were to give it a score in the city-building category, for which it is, i would give it a 9.5. its perfect in nearly every way as it looks beautiful and more importantly plays like a dream. great stuff and easy to just pop back into for any amount of time. the tablet/objective system is unique and rewarding.
Hmm, could be I only played the original so that might be why I did not recognize the gameplay that much.
GothicGothicness is offline

GothicGothicness

GothicGothicness's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2178

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,165

Default 

February 15th, 2009, 00:46
even with a handful of really low user scores by obvious non city-builder fans who were probably lured in by the graphics, it still manages an average user score of 7.1 not to mention that 2/3 of the users rate it between good and perfect. i'd trust mold stains on the wall to predict a better game score than gamespot.
curious is offline

curious

curious's Avatar
liberty or license

#2179

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,386

Default 

February 15th, 2009, 13:57
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
Are you playing with the exspansion packs PJ? or just the core Civ 4 ?
With Beyond the Sword. It makes surprisingly little difference, though — there's just a bit more variety, with new leaders, some new technologies, a bit tuned tech trees and what not. But the overall experience is really more or less the same.
Prime Junta is offline

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

#2180

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,540
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:40.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch