|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

December 31st, 2013, 14:27
Originally Posted by Menigal View Post
I've finished the main plot of Arkham Origins. It was alright, but not in the same league as the other games. It's buggy, somehow broke controls that had worked well for two games, and had some terribly designed boss battles, but still worth a play. However, I never, ever, want to see Bane in another game. In fact, I never want to see Bane again, period.
I was really surprised when Warner Bros decided to go with a different developer for Arkham Origins. The first two games did so well that you would think they'd be smart enough to not screw with the recipe.

I just got it for cheap, but I probably won't be playing it anytime soon. I still haven't even finished the first game. Oh, and I couldn't believe the fracking install size.. 27GB?! Those better be some outstanding visuals at least.

JDR13

SasqWatch

December 31st, 2013, 16:10
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I was really surprised when Warner Bros decided to go with a different developer for Arkham Origins. The first two games did so well that you would think they'd be smart enough to not screw with the recipe.

I just got it for cheap, but I probably won't be playing it anytime soon. I still haven't even finished the first game. Oh, and I couldn't believe the fracking install size.. 27GB?! Those better be some outstanding visuals at least.
Well, Rocksteady's still doing the real sequel, as I understand it. This is just a side game using the same engine.

I think the real install's only (ha!) 17GB. As for the visuals, my wife actually looked over my shoulder and asked why it looked worse than the last one, and she says that as someone who doesn't play games. The graphics aren't bad. Like everything else, they just lack the polish of the earlier games. It's still worth playing if you like the series, but I wouldn't recommend anyone pay full price for it. Of course, I never recommend anyone pay full price for a major game.

Menigal

Keeper of the Watch

January 2nd, 2014, 22:04
Well I'm about 10 hours into Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes now, and it's just not really grabbing me. Maybe I'm playing it the wrong way or maybe I'm just not in the mood for 4X right now. Either way, I think it's time to move on.

I'm thinking about something with a little more action and an open environment. I'm eyeing Sleeping Dogs and the Saints Row series. Is there anyone here who has played both and could compare them?

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 2nd, 2014, 22:26
Well I'm about 10 hours into Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes now, and it's just not really grabbing me. Maybe I'm playing it the wrong way or maybe I'm just not in the mood for 4X right now. Either way, I think it's time to move on.

I'm thinking about something with a little more action and an open environment. I'm eyeing Sleeping Dogs and the Saints Row series. Is there anyone here who has played both and could compare them?
Sleeping Dogs if you want a more serious take and you like the whole asian theme with a nice martial arts combat system.

Saints Row is much more extreme - and they get progressively more "out there" from sequel to sequel.

Personally, I don't care much for Saints Row - as I tend to prefer more grounded stories and less ridiculous over-the-top action, but that's not to say SD doesn't have lots of action, it's just not as extreme.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

January 2nd, 2014, 22:39
Does either game have any kind of stealth or detective elements?

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 2nd, 2014, 22:42
Does either game have any kind of stealth or detective elements?
You're challenging my memory

I do believe there are stealth aspects to both - but I don't remember the details. I don't seem to recall them being particularly elaborate or key to the experience.

As for "detective" elements, I'm not sure what you mean.

Sleeping Dogs has quite a law enforcement vibe, but I don't remember much in the way of detection, beyond some stuff where you find signals to trace or whatever that was.

I tend to forget details like this.

If you want a "detective" game in a semi-GTA style (though much more linear), then I can HIGHLY recommend LA Noire.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

January 2nd, 2014, 22:56
Thanks, I'll probably give Sleeping Dogs a try. I'm not much into the Asian theme (unless we're talking about women), but I'm sure I can get over that.

I've looked at LA Noire in the past, and it doesn't seem like something I'd really get into. I already heard about the linearity and that it's also somewhat repetitive. I also have very little interest in that setting.

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 2nd, 2014, 23:20
There's not really much in the way of stealth or detectiving in the Saints Row games, but I still heartily recommend them. They've embraced all of the lunacy that the GTA series has turned its back on, to the point that the most recent one is pretty much just a ridiculously over-the-top superhero game.

There's always the Batman Arkham games. They've, quite obviously, got stealth and detective elements in them.

Menigal

Keeper of the Watch

January 2nd, 2014, 23:43
Never played saint's row games, too off the wall for me with giant dildo weapons and such.

Sleeping dogs is excellent IMO. It does have stealth kills, hacking alarms, cameras, picking locks, etc. You play as an undercover cop trying to balance your good and bad deeds to win favor (xp) with each side to advance in their respective skill trees.

If you like batman combat then you will like sleeping dogs combat as it's very similar minus batman skills obviously, but add the ability to use the environment more, such as sticking there heads in exhaust fans or throwing them through giant wall fish tanks etc.

theres a lot of fun stuff to do and the story's actually pretty solid. Worth a play IMO.

sakichop

SasqWatch

January 3rd, 2014, 01:03
Sleeping Dogs is great and the story isn't bad though if you don't do a lot of the side activities it doesn't take long to beat.

The earlier Saints Row game are more serious than the last 2 editions, and 2 is quite large.

The only 2 detective type games I can think of were mentioned already, Batman and L.A. Noire. I haven't gotten too far into Noire but I have enjoyed what I've seen so far. I can highly recommend the first 2 Batman games and they definitely have fairly heavy use of stealth and detective stuff.

greywolf00

Sentinel

January 6th, 2014, 06:59
still trying to finish Tomb Raider 2013, it's a great game that i didnt get around to finishing before my 6 months sleep. I'm just glad to be playing something, i'm happy that I seem to have my gaming spirit back, yayy!

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

January 6th, 2014, 21:44
I'm about a third of the way through Alpha Protocol. And I've had a couple of battles / bosses where I couldn't sneak and do non-lethal hand-to-hand takedowns. Not too annoying, since I have the chain shot skill. I'm liking the game quite a bit, but …

Sadly I'm a bit disappointed by the dialog and reputation system and effects on choices and consequences in combination with the checkpoint save system. It makes trying out different choices too repetitive and tedious. It's left me guessing so much that I've resorted to walkthroughs to figure out responses. Don't like having timers in my dialog. I prefer to think things through. This game doesn't allow it nor does it enable trying different approaches without a lot of needless tedious repetition. Black spot on a good game.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

January 7th, 2014, 11:16
It was installed om my machine for months and finally after uninstalling crap I've tried Dishonored. And now can't let it out of my hands. Can't remember the last game that had this impact on me - have to go to sleep, but let's clear just one more area. And it's not RPG!

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

January 7th, 2014, 12:12
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
It was installed om my machine for months and finally after uninstalling crap I've tried Dishonored. And now can't let it out of my hands. Can't remember the last game that had this impact on me - have to go to sleep, but let's clear just one more area. And it's not RPG!
I'd call it an adventure game with RPG-lite elements - Maybe we should get HiddenX's scale out to see.

Adapted from HiddenX's The Witcher grading :
Part 2 in next post)

Spoiler
Last edited by Pladio; January 7th, 2014 at 13:36.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio

January 7th, 2014, 12:18
Baldur's Gate EE

I'm at the point now where I usually quit playing. I only finished this game once - back when it was released. But I must have played it dozens of times since then - and often I get close to the end before I end up giving up.

I'm at BG - the city - now. I find it bogs down around this point - because the city is vast and I don't like how the layout works. Too much running back and forth.

The one thing I HATE about BG is the pathfinding in dungeons and small areas. I've set it to 400000 - and still it sucks so bad. Another thing I hate is the amount of crap you find that you feel compelled to pick up, because much of it is quite valuable - gems in particular. I feel like I spend a good third of my time juggling stuff between 6 characters and opening containers - and I'm usually pretty good at not obsessing about items.

Anyway, the game is still fun - and I have to admit I think the EE additions come together better than I gave them credit for. The new characters have a reasonable amount of spoken dialogue and quest material associated with them, and that does help make the game feel fresher. I still think it's a money grab, but it could have been much worse.

As always, the plan is to get through EE and start playing BG2. As I've said before, I've never completed BG2 - or even gotten that far into it. Not crazy about the linear structure - but I have to check it all out just once.

I hope I can persist this time

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

January 7th, 2014, 12:43
DA you ruined my posting

Spoiler
Last edited by Pladio; January 7th, 2014 at 13:35.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

January 7th, 2014, 12:53
I'm sorry, I don't yet have the ability to predict people posting huge posts while I write my own.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

January 7th, 2014, 12:56
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I'm sorry, I don't yet have the ability to predict people posting huge posts while I write my own.
Talking out of turn…that's a paddling. Looking out the window…that's a paddling. Staring at my sandals…that's a paddling. Paddling the school canoe…ooh, you better believe that's a paddling
- Jasper Beardly

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

January 7th, 2014, 12:59
*kisses*

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

January 7th, 2014, 13:15
I'm playing through BG2 EE. Desperately clinging on Ch2 by trying to avoid making a choice that I really have no information to make. I'm almost compulsively going through the companion and area quests. I especially want to be done with the companions I don't like to find a more or less permanent party composition before I tackle the main quest. There's a lot of good content in Athkatla but I feel my RPG experience is working against me as I can't enjoy it naturally. Hopefully the latter chapters will have enough content because by that time I'll have cleared most of the random stuff.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?