|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dungeons of Dredmor - On Shipping

Default Dungeons of Dredmor - On Shipping

June 9th, 2011, 00:01
No, they're not quite there but this blog post at Gaslamp Games says Dredmor is "so close to the end it's amazing" and discusses getting that polish on a game that makes all the difference:
Shipping a game is the single most painful part of the development experience. As Citizen Daniel recently pointed out, most of the major Dredmor design decisions were made months ago, if not years ago. David took the spartan mechanics that we originally had and have polished them until they glisten. Most of the major UI strategies were worked out months ago in our basement bunker, when we originally decided to start adding tooltips to the game (a move I initially resisted, but now can’t imagine the game without.) All the content has been around for awhile. So what are we doing now? Really, all we’re doing is polishing. Polish, polish, and more polish. Of the bugs in the tracker, there is only one known crash bug in the game: if you put spores in an alchemy kit, the game will crash. (Spores are a miscellaneous item and hence a bit broken in places.) Everything else consists of little things: graphical alignment issues, UI errors, readability issues, things not firing when they should be firing, dealing with scenarios that most people won’t encounter in normal gameplay. And yet, we’re fixing them.
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

June 9th, 2011, 00:01
They also just announced on Twitter a release price of $4.99. Don't know if that will be a limited-time promotional price or a long-term thing, as it does seem pretty underpriced to me.

UPDATE: They confirmed that it is the real, permanent, pre-sale price.
Last edited by RampantCoyote; June 9th, 2011 at 00:12.

RampantCoyote

SasqWatch

June 9th, 2011, 03:52
Wow, that is a nice price!

Scrav

Sentinel

June 9th, 2011, 04:26
Too nice if you ask me. I've been playing this game every day for weeks now and I almost never do that. I get bored or some new shiny game attracts my attention. Not so with this. I even put Witcher 2 on hold for now.

5 bucks though? This is not my company, but this isn't some piece of trash iphone game. This game offers you so much and for only 5 bucks that is a steal.

When this comes out if you are even slightly interested in roguelikes or dungeon crawlers I'd highly recommend grabbing it. The character combinations, tactical combat, endless dungeons and even the comedic value of this game is worth far more than 5 bucks.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
Last edited by skavenhorde; June 9th, 2011 at 05:27.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

June 9th, 2011, 09:05
It does seem very low, but it is possible that the low price might encourage many more people to buy it then otherwise would. That business model certainly works for iphone games (some of which are pretty high quality), I'm not sure if it will work quite so well for niche roguelikes, but you never know.

Either way I'm really looking forward to both this and and desktop dungeons (which also costs less then I would have expected).

fadedc

Keeper of the Watch

June 9th, 2011, 11:51
This looks like a fun little game.

Definetely getting it on my MacBook.

JonNik

SasqWatch

June 9th, 2011, 12:39
$5? I guess I'll have to buy two of them then.

Daddy32

Sentinel

June 9th, 2011, 17:31
While there are always exceptions to the rule, most indies have found that cutting the price in half does NOT double sales (at least not for very long). Unfortunately, there's also a perception that takes place… if a game is priced very low, there's a perception that it must be of poor quality.

That's not the case. While I've not played as much of the game as Skavenhorde, it's definitely worth a lot more than $5 - I'd easily put it comfortably in the $15 - $20 range on value. So it'll be a steal at that price. I just hope the Gaslamp Games guys haven't shot themselves in the foot. Or that they've got something else up their sleeve (expansions?)

RampantCoyote

SasqWatch

June 9th, 2011, 21:45
Skaven, are you beta-testing the game? If not, how do I get it early? I've got DD2 and this looks like it'd be a great followup.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

June 10th, 2011, 03:24
I'm beta-testing. It shouldn't be that much longer till it ships. Weeks at the most, I would believe.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dungeons of Dredmor - On Shipping