|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Mass Effect 3 - Kinect Will Widen Audience

Default Mass Effect 3 - Kinect Will Widen Audience

June 11th, 2011, 00:12
Apparently adding Kinect support to Mass Effect 3 will allow EA to capture the Dance Central and Call of Duty markets - or something like that. Head to Eurogamer for an interview on ME3 and the Kinect if you want more.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

June 11th, 2011, 00:12
Uh no….they're actually scaring me away from ever wanting to play it with the stupid Kinect support. Sure you can probably play it entirely without, but in all honesty I don't like Kinect.

I just wanna sit motionless, holding a controller and just moving my fingers, as I have always done for the past 30+ yrs….rofl

Khalus

Whatever…

June 11th, 2011, 00:19
Bioware's in full effect. Make a bunch of absurd comments/generate hate/ and refuse criticism when it fails.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

June 11th, 2011, 00:49
I've a feeling that the only thing this is going to widen is the gap in opinions. People are either going to love this feature or hate it.

JDR13

SasqWatch

June 11th, 2011, 01:46
Originally Posted by Khalus View Post
Uh no….they're actually scaring me away from ever wanting to play it with the stupid Kinect support. Sure you can probably play it entirely without, but in all honesty I don't like Kinect.

I just wanna sit motionless, holding a controller and just moving my fingers, as I have always done for the past 30+ yrs….rofl
You're set. From what I saw of the ME3 Kinect demo, all this adds is voice control. And it REALLY fails bad when it comes to dialog control. You've got to say the line on the screen then have Shepard do the voice dialog, which isn't the line you said.

I've got a strong hunch that this is just Microsoft throwing money around. They paid EA to put something Kinect in the game just so the ME3 box will say something about Kinect on it. Microsoft just wants a lot of games on the "Supports Kinect" list, they don't care if anyone would really use it.

Of course, I may be underestimating laziness… Khalus, what's it worth to you to not have to do all that tedious, calorie-wasting mouse movement?

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

June 11th, 2011, 03:46
The game itself doesnt look bad really, just more of Mass Efeect 2. But just shut up already with the widening of the audience . Or just make a game for Nintendo Bioware . Kinect is a useless gimmick . Its a voice activated search engine, all that money and microsoft cant do any better than what they have with the product. It just might be time to get a new hobbie.

rich ruffo

Sentinel

June 11th, 2011, 04:45
How many casual gamers would buy a game like mass effect anyway. My wife is a casual gamer she plays jewels farmville, angry birds, some hidden object games and once in a blue moon the sims. She's never finished a game, jumps from game to game with 0 loyalty and would never spend more than $20 on a game.
There is nothing they could do to ME or Da that would get her to play it. She won't even touch the facebook game.

This is the customer base they are willing to alienate their core fans for? Makes no sense to me.

sakichop

SasqWatch

June 11th, 2011, 06:17
This wider audience mission that EA is on smells of pure greed and will come back to bite them in the ass. More likely sooner than later. A couple of sell out games like DA2 in a row and you can kiss a generation of fans goodbye.

rich ruffo

Sentinel

June 11th, 2011, 10:42
Quote : "Mass Effect has a fairly complicated combat system. You've got story and choice. For some fans that don't buy 12 games a year and maybe buy two or three, some of those things can be intimidating. "

Let them just make Mass Effect Mario , and be done with it

Twotricks

Sentinel

June 11th, 2011, 12:41
Complexity is becoming the new gimmick.

Everything is complex, so they say and it is all a matter of opinions.

Fans do not buy 12 games per year, some of them, yet, they are fans. Casual fans, they buy one game now and then. That is how they gain their grade: fans.

As fans, they can be intimitaded, story and C&C are complex in ME2. Adding a new interface will not intimidate them though: because introduction of a new device is not intimidating. Novelty is not intimidated. Timid people are usually timid with old time situations. They lose confidence as they get used to a situation.

It is all a matter of perspective.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

June 11th, 2011, 12:50
So i presume this will become an new "thing" to split the community again ?

With theyr last games they succefully did it.

Sometimes i realy think that BioWare job sinc last few years isnt producing games only, but spliting the community aswell …

English is not my Home language so excuse me if i make some gramer mistakes or write sometimes bit conffusing

Fraper

Keeper of the Watch

June 11th, 2011, 13:16
- Dragon Age 2 will atteract shooter fans to widen the audience
- Mass Effect 3 will attract Kinekt fans to widen the audience

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 11th, 2011, 13:30
"Oh, this is a Kinect game. Mass Effect 3 huh? Sounds great!"

Somehow I do not see it. ME3 players are the people who played ME1 and ME2. If one of them just happen to have a Kinect too they might use it.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

June 11th, 2011, 13:55
The feature (Kinect) could be usefull in actually saying to your team mates 'Garrus, take cover' or 'Miranda, shoot to the right' or 'Jack, use stealth.' However, I do not believe that VR for Shepard is something that'll make players buy this game, especially because the VR for Shepard just makes Shepard say something along the lines of what's on the screen e.g. not the actual words on screen, but something in the vicinity thereof.

And they want to capture the Dance Central audience, then just make the ME Dance Central game…and get if out of the system…

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

June 11th, 2011, 14:10
Shepard did dance in the previous games, so maybe Shepard can go boogie on the dance floor with Kinect.

lumiapina

Watchdog

June 11th, 2011, 15:23
Next will be "Mass Guitar Hero Effect" ?

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 11th, 2011, 15:43
Why add Kinect to a Bioware game? I think the answer's obvious.

Sex scenes.

It's just a matter of time, and we all know it.

Mithter Thibbs

Watcher

June 11th, 2011, 16:13
Originally Posted by Mithter Thibbs View Post
Why add Kinect to a Bioware game? I think the answer's obvious.

Sex scenes.
You've just persuaded me not to spit anymore on it!
Shall I start practising the "dirty talk" right away?

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

June 12th, 2011, 01:51
Kinect for ME3? WTF? :I

elikal

Sentinel

June 12th, 2011, 20:30
The delusion here is obvious and sad. Rising budgets don't mean "OMG we need to sell 10 million units!" Rising budgets mean TRIM THE DAMN BUDGET!

Find your audience, gauge its size, then budget to your sales expectations. This is common freaking sense. Warner Bros. does not spend 100 million dollars making romantic comedies and documentaries just because they can spend that making Batman movies.

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Mass Effect 3 - Kinect Will Widen Audience