|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch - The Whole Game in My Hand #3

Default RPGWatch - The Whole Game in My Hand #3

February 24th, 2007, 17:23
What's going on in the RPG world for portable gaming systems? Can you get a decent role-playing experience on the go? Mike Anderson catches us up on the latest RPG's on the GBA, DS and PSP, including a full review of Final Fantasy III on the DS. Here's a snip:
As I mentioned before, Final Fantasy III is a port of a classic game - one that was never released in the US. The first two games were released, and then nothing for a while until the game called Final Fantasy VI in Japan got a release as Final Fantasy III in North America. Confusion continued as later releases and compilations for the Playstation fixed some of the numerology but not others. Being late to the party myself, I find myself confused whenever the subject comes up, and asking fans of the series only makes it worse since it inevitably leads to endless discussion about which one is best and the reasons why that is true. One thing I've learned - compared to other entries in the series Final Fantasy III is big on characters, not so big on a deep and engrossing story, but critical for the introduction of the job system.
Read it all here.
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

February 24th, 2007, 17:23
Nice article. I'm surprised Eragon had such a high rating considering it's a pretty generic title. I found the enemy encounter rate to considerably slow down the pace of the game and the combo system actually becomes necessary to handle many enemies, which bogs the game down even further. The spell system was also particularly stupid and unrewarding, and herbalism didn't really become useful until the later levels.

Final Fantasy III for the DS seems spiffy, though.
Last edited by Role-Player; February 24th, 2007 at 20:24. Reason: Wrote 'in later levels' when I meant 'until later levels'.

Role-Player

Watchdog

February 24th, 2007, 19:49
Sometimes a pretty generic title on other platforms may turn into a surpisingly good game on the GBA - for example, I find Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azcaban may be a mediocre game on other platforms as well as the other GBA games in the series are pretty silly, but PoA is a nice RPG game anyway.

Of another note, Puzzle Quest is coming to the PSP as well. For now that is.

Arma

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch - The Whole Game in My Hand #3