|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Risen 2 - Preview Roundup # 2

Default Risen 2 - Preview Roundup # 2

June 30th, 2011, 11:12
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Didn't you just enjoy Dungeon Siege 3 a lot?
Sure, but the pace is quite different from that of Gothic or Risen. A dungeon in DS3 is over in about 10 minutes, and then it's yet another change of scenery.
Maylander is offline

Maylander

SasqWatch

#21

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen
Posts: 5,644
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

Default 

June 30th, 2011, 11:17
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
Sure, but the pace is quite different from that of Gothic or Risen. A dungeon in DS3 is over in about 10 minutes, and then it's yet another change of scenery.
Makes sense.

Have you, by chance, played any Gothic-like game in which you enjoyed dungeons?
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#22

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

June 30th, 2011, 12:54
One of the problems I have with dungeons is that I get lost in them and then I start to run around like chicken and begin to dislike them! So I think there need to be subtle clues inside the dungeon to help to navigate them. For example lights, direction of water etc.

In some games I leave items from my inventory on the floor so I know I my way! However its pain going back and picking them up again so I wish that games will implement bread crumps!
lostforever is offline

lostforever

Keeper of the Watch

#23

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 1,217

Default 

June 30th, 2011, 13:30
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Makes sense.

Have you, by chance, played any Gothic-like game in which you enjoyed dungeons?
Other than Gothic you mean?

Hmm, Morrowind had some pretty decent ones. Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas generally had pretty good dungeons too - not too short, not too long, and with enough variety to make it interesting.

Risen had a few decent dungeons, but the longer ones were a drag.
Maylander is offline

Maylander

SasqWatch

#24

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen
Posts: 5,644
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

Default 

June 30th, 2011, 13:44
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
Other than Gothic you mean?

Hmm, Morrowind had some pretty decent ones. Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas generally had pretty good dungeons too - not too short, not too long, and with enough variety to make it interesting.

Risen had a few decent dungeons, but the longer ones were a drag.
I was just wondering the basis for your opinion of dungeons.

Obviously, tastes differ, but since I find dungeons to be so great when done well, I was just thinking that maybe you haven't tried the really good ones.

Ultima IX, Ultima Underworld, Eye of the Beholder, Stonekeep, and so on - all had great dungeons with lots of variety.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#25

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

June 30th, 2011, 13:56
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I was just wondering the basis for your opinion of dungeons.

Obviously, tastes differ, but since I find dungeons to be so great when done well, I was just thinking that maybe you haven't tried the really good ones.

Ultima IX, Ultima Underworld, Eye of the Beholder, Stonekeep, and so on - all had great dungeons with lots of variety.
Generally, if dungeons take too long to complete, I get bored. Examples: Durlag's Tower and Watcher's Keep in Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. A lot of players consider those dungeons brilliant, but I just find them boring.
Maylander is offline

Maylander

SasqWatch

#26

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen
Posts: 5,644
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

Default 

June 30th, 2011, 14:25
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
Generally, if dungeons take too long to complete, I get bored. Examples: Durlag's Tower and Watcher's Keep in Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. A lot of players consider those dungeons brilliant, but I just find them boring.
It's official… there's something wrong with you.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#27

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 18,220

Default 

June 30th, 2011, 14:25
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
Generally, if dungeons take too long to complete, I get bored. Examples: Durlag's Tower and Watcher's Keep in Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. A lot of players consider those dungeons brilliant, but I just find them boring.
I tend to agree, if the game is about open-world exploration.

But I'm not asking for overlong dungeons in Risen 2. Just more variety and incentives to explore them.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#28

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

June 30th, 2011, 21:26
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
Generally, if dungeons take too long to complete, I get bored. Examples: Durlag's Tower and Watcher's Keep in Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. A lot of players consider those dungeons brilliant, but I just find them boring.
+1. Same in the first Drakensang there was a dungeon with like 2000 rats. Could probably make another 10 examples of horrible filler dungeons if i think for a while..

They're ok as long as they're over in 10-15 mins.

I don't mind games that takes place completely in dungeons though, like Ultima Underworld or Arx Fatalis, probably because it wasnt just filler crap, but something they had actually cared for.
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
Serial Modderer

#29

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 1,644

Default 

June 30th, 2011, 22:02
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
Other than Gothic you mean?

Hmm, Morrowind had some pretty decent ones. Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas generally had pretty good dungeons too - not too short, not too long, and with enough variety to make it interesting.

Risen had a few decent dungeons, but the longer ones were a drag.
Morrowind has dugouts and no dungeons

The original Bard's Tale series has dungeons!

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken
HiddenX is online now

HiddenX

HiddenX's Avatar
The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

#30

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NRW/Germany
Posts: 4,531

Default 

June 30th, 2011, 23:11
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
+1. Same in the first Drakensang there was a dungeon with like 2000 rats. Could probably make another 10 examples of horrible filler dungeons if i think for a while..
C´mon, you can´t seriously put shitty feature-less repetitive Drakensang´s dungeons in the same category as Durlag´s Tower and Watcher´s Keep.
DT´s and WK´s problem may be that they´re not more tightly integrated with the rest of the games they´re in (which however also means they´re entirely optional), but other than that they´re both pretty damn good throwbacks to traditional dungeon crawls.
Both contain own story/stories, both are divided into levels which all have their distinct theme, both are filled with variety of traps and puzzles, both contain a great variety of (sometimes rather creative) combat encounters and both also contain a good amount of dialogues with the characters player meets in them.
I´m not saying they´re flawless, but Drakensang´s ratfest they definitely aren´t.
Last edited by DeepO; July 1st, 2011 at 00:02.
DeepO is offline

DeepO

DeepO's Avatar
deep outside

#31

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Prague
Posts: 2,332

Default 

July 1st, 2011, 01:45
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
+1. Same in the first Drakensang there was a dungeon with like 2000 rats. Could probably make another 10 examples of horrible filler dungeons if i think for a while.
Oh come on, that dungeon was a damned joke about rpgs.
KapitanUnterhosen is offline

KapitanUnterhosen

Sentinel

#32

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 527

Default 

July 1st, 2011, 03:10
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
One of the problems I have with dungeons is that I get lost in them and then I start to run around like chicken and begin to dislike them! So I think there need to be subtle clues inside the dungeon to help to navigate them. For example lights, direction of water etc.

In some games I leave items from my inventory on the floor so I know I my way! However its pain going back and picking them up again so I wish that games will implement bread crumps!
We actually did put bread crumbs in U6P!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
Corwin is online now

Corwin

Corwin's Avatar
On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

#33

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,607
Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Risen 2 - Preview Roundup # 2
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:06.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch