|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Minecraft

Default Minecraft

June 28th, 2011, 17:41
By now everyone knows about Minecraft. I've read about it and I've seen videos on it, but what is the big deal?

If someone who has played it and liked it, or not, could tell me I would much appreciate it. I'm thinking about buying it, but I'd like to know what you guys think of it first.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

June 28th, 2011, 17:46
Minecraft is not a game for everyone, but if you enjoy creating things (with others, or alone), then you might well enjoy it. Think of it as Lego for adults, with an action element. It does requires a fare bit of patience and creativity, but if those are two qualities that you possess, and the idea appeals to you, then go ahead and give it a try.

Fnord

Keeper of the Watch

June 28th, 2011, 17:58
It reminds me of NWN - or Roller Coaster Tycoon. "Legos" was something I was pushing hard for on NWN2 that never happened, so I was surprised (or not) that Minecraft was that.

I've downloaded it but have yet to start getting into it. The kids at the University however, some of them are positively addicted. I'm going to try to have it installed on the University PC's. I think its a great tool and if kids find it that addictive I want to see if its useful at all as a research tool.

When the ALU was made with it, I think it opened a lot eyes. That said, I've yet to see anything practical with it.

The guy has sold 2 million or so copies of the thing while he's still in beta, and all DLC, so there's little cost involved. This should be as much of an eye opener to the computer industry as the Wii was or Deer Hunter.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

June 28th, 2011, 18:04
Hi, my name is Sammy and I'm a Minecraft addict in recovery.

See my Minecraft thread for details

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

June 28th, 2011, 18:14
Wow that was fast. Thanks.

LMAO, seems like you had the same exact question, Sammy. Maybe I should have done a search Thanks for the thread.

@Lucky Day That thing really works? I haven't a clue as to how my beloved computer works, but he can actually make one using that redstone stuff and torches?

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

June 28th, 2011, 18:44
yes it works. it looks like someone's come up with a 32 bit version too. I guess this means Minecraft is turing complete.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

July 8th, 2011, 08:18
I present to you exhibit A: Pigs in space!

The latest update also added pistons (mechanism to move blocks 1 unit), enabling a lot of gadgetry to be created.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

July 8th, 2011, 08:57
Someone merge the two threads ?

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

July 8th, 2011, 10:28
It's a toy, not a game.

I got bored with toys as a kid.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

July 10th, 2011, 22:53
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
It's a toy, not a game.

I got bored with toys as a kid.
True, although it's not much of a stretch to say the same thing about Morrowind (or any other sandbox open world game). Toys can be very entertaining, although sometimes they suck mightily, like Morrowind.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

July 10th, 2011, 23:11
ehhh, aren't all games toys?

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

July 11th, 2011, 01:10
Typical Dart navel-gazing

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

July 11th, 2011, 23:50
This game is one you either like or you don't. They have a free classic version you can DL to test out the basics on.

For those I discussed starting a server with, it has been a pain. I no sooner get my stuff running and Notch does an update. Then my 2wire gets fried and I have to start all over with the ports and security. One day I will get it sorted and be able to leave it alone. I have had several running over the months, but I think til the do the final game release in November it just won't be worth inviting people to come in and then have to start over the following week.

Bart and Corwin should just admit that when it gets down to it, I will have the final say.

Cm

Sentinel of Light

Send a message via Skype™ to Cm

November 10th, 2011, 16:20
The official release of Minecraft is coming out tomorrow, ( 11/11) (guess it depends on where you are. lol)
Here is an excerpt from one of Notch's blogs on when the anouncement is official.

"Next week is MineCon week. That means we’ll release the full version of Minecraft (which will be called “Minecraft”, and have a version number of 1.0. The current version is “Minecraft Beta”). We’ll keep working on Minecraft for a long time after the full release, but it’s a huge milestone.
That milestone also means people might start reviewing the game. There have been a few reviews already, but I have a feeling most people are waiting for the full release."

http://www.minecraft.net/community Here is a link for all the info, the blog is listed as word of Notch

Bart and Corwin should just admit that when it gets down to it, I will have the final say.

Cm

Sentinel of Light

November 10th, 2011, 16:37
But Minecon is on November 18/19. So I guess it'll come out then, and we'll have to continue playing with beta 1.9 pre 5 up to that date.

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

November 11th, 2011, 21:01
He touted the release date as 11/11 but I have been out of touch so I may have missed how they plan to handle the beta players update. To my knowledge it will just change name on the startup screen for those who own it. Minecon is going to be his first big promo after the official release.

Cm

Sentinel of Light

November 12th, 2011, 16:06
Mojang stopped using 'real' betas after 1.8.1. They worked with pre-release versions after that one which are not updated automatically. The 'inofficial' beta 1.9 pre-release 6 was released yesterday (on 11/11), and it's still buggy.

According to the official forums, release of the full game is still scheduled for November 18th, first day of Minecon.

Semper HiFi!

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

November 13th, 2011, 00:46
Yep, one bug it created was removing all the default control settings. Took me a few min of searching to find that one. Easy to fix, but not easy to figure out what the issue was.
You are right Jaz about the dates…I really did miss a lot of info changes. Oh well, I gave the release date a little prerelease promo.

Cm

Sentinel of Light

November 13th, 2011, 12:39
The door bug is worse, I think … wooden doors need a button to open them now. Luckily I had read about that before I installed the pre-6 so I left the doors to my workshop wide open.

Semper HiFi!

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

November 16th, 2011, 10:50
Wow, I'm down with the flu for three days, and two new versions are out already: release candidates 1 and 2. RC2 still has some bugs, but I didn't encounter anything major yet.

Semper HiFi!

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Minecraft