|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » RPGWatch Updates, Bug reports and Feature requests

Default RPGWatch Updates, Bug reports and Feature requests

May 6th, 2012, 11:38
We have a subscription option to threads. You can manually subscribe per thread or edit your user settings from the User CP. There is an option named 'Default thread subscription mode' with which you can set the option to automatically subscribe to threads you created or posted in by selecting an option other than not subscribing. Your subscribed threads are visible in the 'Subscribed Threads' tab in your user CP.

I never used it so to be honest I do not know if it works

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 6th, 2012, 12:29
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
We have a subscription option to threads. You can manually subscribe per thread or edit your user settings from the User CP. There is an option named 'Default thread subscription mode' with which you can set the option to automatically subscribe to threads you created or posted in by selecting an option other than not subscribing. Your subscribed threads are visible in the 'Subscribed Threads' tab in your user CP.

I never used it so to be honest I do not know if it works
The problem is that there isn't an option then for it not to send me any emails. Could you add that in then

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio

May 6th, 2012, 22:24
We are talking about one mail a week, that you can throw away on receiving it. I doubt that is much of a problem.

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 6th, 2012, 22:37
Spoiler

Poor me!

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

Default Security question too hard to read

May 7th, 2012, 13:24
Accidentally logged out, I just tried the forum search with the security question. I couldn't get it right in 5 tries! One of the words is in this really skewed, black and white style, and I apparently just can't read the letters properly no matter how long I squint at them.
- Just a heads up, maybe you could replace this with a more userfriendly variation, normally I don't use this.

However, if you use the same thing for registration, I would really recommend changing it - this might unintentionally keep people from registering at the site.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

May 7th, 2012, 15:06
I have politely declined a frienship request. Several times, actually. It is still "open".
How does it "close" ?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 7th, 2012, 21:07
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
Accidentally logged out, I just tried the forum search with the security question. I couldn't get it right in 5 tries! One of the words is in this really skewed, black and white style, and I apparently just can't read the letters properly no matter how long I squint at them.
- Just a heads up, maybe you could replace this with a more userfriendly variation, normally I don't use this.

However, if you use the same thing for registration, I would really recommend changing it - this might unintentionally keep people from registering at the site.
I absolute ABHOR those damn eye tests. Someone needs to come up with a better system.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

May 7th, 2012, 21:16
We do not use Captcha for our registration. Aside from the unnecessary costs, it's (as y'all seem to agree) a pain in the butt for users. Our registration process involves a bank of questions that should be trivial for RPGers to answer. I won't get overly detailed, but one example of a question we might use would be "What is the traditional 3 letter abbreviation for the intelligence stat?"

Myrthos changes the questions in the bank from time to time as it appears the spambots eventually "learn" our questions. When Corwin and I start seeing a rash of spambots, we trek to the top of Mount Myrthos, toss a goat into the lava, and humbly request that new questions be set up. Then we start dodging the lightning.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

May 7th, 2012, 21:21
Maybe adopting that system (or similar) throughout would be a good thing.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

May 7th, 2012, 21:36
Since Captcha (am I spelling that right?) isn't free to use, I have a hard time believing the Watch is using it for anything. Perhaps we're not understanding GBG's problem?

Our admins wouldn't waste operating funds on that sort of thing when Corwin and I are nearly as effective and work solely for the ego stroke that comes with maniacally wielding the Banhammer on innocent little spammers.

Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

May 7th, 2012, 21:43
Yeah it's used in the search function when not logged in.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

May 7th, 2012, 21:51
Well how about that… Wouldn't have believed it if I didn't try it myself. I wonder if that's buried in the board software somehow. We've discussed Captcha in relation to spambots a couple times and (particularly given the cost) the unanimous verdict was always "no thanks".

dteowner

Shoegazer

May 7th, 2012, 21:56
Yeah, it "looks" like it's own private implementation.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

May 7th, 2012, 23:22
Actually CAPTCHA was enabled on quite some things for some reason. Disabled it for most options, leaving only the NoSpam settings, which asks you one very deep question

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 10th, 2012, 11:13
Myrthos, am I dreaming or did you actually just add the "No email notification" ?

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

Question 

May 10th, 2012, 11:50
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
I have politely declined a frienship request. Several times, actually. It is still "open".
How does it "close" ?
Still no idea ?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 10th, 2012, 12:01
Try sending me a friend request, I'll try to decline and see what happens.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

May 10th, 2012, 13:19
Okay, did so.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 10th, 2012, 13:32
It seems to work for me.

Make sure you select "Reject user friend request" AND Check the box next to the name of the person you want to reject.

A pop-up should appear asking you to confirm.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

May 10th, 2012, 17:55
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
Myrthos, am I dreaming or did you actually just add the "No email notification" ?
No it was there before.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » RPGWatch Updates, Bug reports and Feature requests