Quantcast
Let's discuss the forum structure - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » Let's discuss the forum structure

Default Let's discuss the forum structure

July 18th, 2016, 02:08
Maybe it's time to shuffle our (sub-)forums and categories around again. Please post your thoughts in this thread. We'll read everything and then make a decision.

A couple of forums are where they are for traditional reasons (Divinity, Gothic, Risen) others are a service (Deep Shadows, Expeditions, A Statue for RPGWatch). Of course this doesn't mean their status is set in stone.

It would also be interesting to know what we should generally do with old and inactive forums, and if we should create new forums quicker and kill them off sooner.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

July 18th, 2016, 03:06
One thing I would like to see is loosing the Indie RPG forum.

The main reason being that what is and isn't an indie game is these days very muddy waters, it's hard to distinguish (but I see other, smaller, problems with that sub-forum). A bonus of getting rid of the indie forum would be that General RPG and JRPG would be more active.
Last edited by jaes; July 18th, 2016 at 03:43.

jaes

Watcher

July 18th, 2016, 03:33
Our coverage of indie games are on level with any other and I agree with jaes that it's difficult to distinguish what is and isn't indie. I don't feel a need to have a specific forum for it. Keeping all CRPG discussions in one place, regardless of indie or AAA in one place is much cleaner.

Instead I'd like to see a forum where smaller developers can promote their games to gain some recognition and maybe get some news features on the site if we find it interesting.
Take Stygian as an example, they have been using the indie forums for promoting their game and they have been picking up interest and have been mentioned in the news section here.
It might require some moderation to keep it clean of spam with p2w browser/facebook games and whatnot. We already have a subforum for that under mmo which is a genre mostly overlooked on this site anyway.

As for the old and less active game forums I can't speak much as I don't tend to visit them. Someone who uses them frequently should probably speak their mind about those.
--
Though the monsters lurk in the hateful marshes, I will dance on the Stygian river.
And I will be beautiful. For though I am not pure, I am honest.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/NyxVampiria/

Nyx

Goddess of the Night
RPGWatch Team

July 18th, 2016, 03:47
I think the question of smaller independent developers, and how we relate to them, is an interesting one.

It seems almost a given that that a site like RPGwatch should lend support to small indie studios. And yet, at the same time, I feel that enthusiasm is sometimes exploited. I don't know how many times I've seen PR people become our new best friends, for an expedient period, only to vanish shortly thereafter, with a less than stellar offering.

I don't have a huge problem with that, in itself, but I do feel there is too much amateurism pushed by people with a better grasp on PR than creative skill.

Ripper

Little England Refugee

July 18th, 2016, 05:47
it's always struck me as bizarre how there's an NWN2 subforum hidden away in General RPG

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor

July 18th, 2016, 07:12
Originally Posted by jaes View Post
One thing I would like to see is loosing the Indie RPG forum.p

The main reason being that what is and isn't an indie game is these days very muddy waters, it's hard to distinguish (but I see other, smaller, problems with that sub-forum). A bonus of getting rid of the indie forum would be that General RPG and JRPG would be more active.
Kickstarters forum is kind of questionable too, indies and Kickstarter are very much part of the "RPG mainstream" now, seems like they would just belong in the general RPG forum. (Not to mention it's not just Kickstarter anymore, there's fig.co, etc)

Also, there's some really horrible English in the description of the Fallout forum: "go here to experience that wastelands of Fallout"

Stingray

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

July 18th, 2016, 09:53
I just think there are too many forums and sub-forums.

For example, I think Reviews and Polls could probably just be in one forum as they do not attract much attention. Like someone else said. It would be useful for all the reviews, previews, etc posted by RPGWatch members to be put there for reference.

Some of the older member-only forums can probably be archived too. For example :
"A Statue for RPGWatch"

And then I think Indie and Kickstarter should merge, as they are likely the same thing in many cases. Or Kickstarter could be a subforum to Indie.

All the other game forums in there which have not had much activity for a while I would put them all as subforums in General RPG or merge based on developers (if still active).

For example:
Merge all Risen and Gothic threads into a PB forum, as when Elex comes in, we are likely to see many posts for that too, but creating an entirely new subforum for it seems like too much.
> Piranha Bytes
---->ELEX
---->Risen Series
-------->Risen I
-------->Risen II
-------->Risen III
---->Gothic Series
-------->Gothic I
-------->Gothic II
-------->Gothic III

On the other hand, no one has posted in Drakensang for 6 months, so I would archive that one under General RPG.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio

July 18th, 2016, 12:26
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
it's always struck me as bizarre how there's an NWN2 subforum hidden away in General RPG
I hope that one disappears, it never got better than the one at Sorcerer's Place.
For the rest I don't have any objections. Killing subforum for a reason being not active because we're all playing new games seems too harsh, rather lock it completely instead of moving it's content to general RPG.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

July 18th, 2016, 12:35
Pls dont delete ny content if possible, including nwn2, some of us find it useful.

I wouldn't mind consolidation of individual subforums into a single one per game family. On others that I visit you make a thread title specific by leading the thread with the games title in square brackets. So one forum for Gothics, one for Elder Scrolls etc, start a Skyrim topic with [Skyrim]. But maybe thats step too far…?
--
"You will find your death pleasant, but your fate unbearable." - Hionhurn the Executioner

kaos_war_monk

Sentinel

July 18th, 2016, 13:49
It didn't have enough traffic when it had full status. Instead of deleting it we moved the whole forum into GRPG.

Normal procedure would have been to move all threads into GRPG and then remove the forum.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

July 18th, 2016, 16:02
I don't like change!

lostforever

SasqWatch

+1:

July 18th, 2016, 17:59
I thought the same.

And then I'm flabberghastered (or what's the word ?) by the announcement that it had no traffic outside of the GRPG forum.
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

July 19th, 2016, 00:29
Ya, my post about the offline authenticator tool some months ago has had 2000+ views… I was surprised to see so many.
--
"You will find your death pleasant, but your fate unbearable." - Hionhurn the Executioner

kaos_war_monk

Sentinel

July 19th, 2016, 02:20
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I think the question of smaller independent developers, and how we relate to them, is an interesting one.

It seems almost a given that that a site like RPGwatch should lend support to small indie studios. And yet, at the same time, I feel that enthusiasm is sometimes exploited. I don't know how many times I've seen PR people become our new best friends, for an expedient period, only to vanish shortly thereafter, with a less than stellar offering.

I don't have a huge problem with that, in itself, but I do feel there is too much amateurism pushed by people with a better grasp on PR than creative skill.
I don't entirely disagree with your first point (there have been a good amount of developers who post a promotion for their crowdfunding campaign, Greenlight page, etc. ; then disappear w/o bothering to post updates, answer questions)… Or worse, promote some pay2win shovelware game…

However, there's also been some awesome posts by indie RPG developers here in the Indie forum and it's great to watch their progress. Also, a few developers regularly stop & post like regular ole members of the community. Aterdux comes to mind.

But I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "too much amateurism"… That's it style over substance? i.e., they post a few screenshots or maybe a teaser trailer with very little info about distinguishes their game from all the other RPGs? If that's what you're getting at, I don't care much for that "aura of mystery" PR tactic myself, but to be fair, bigger developers pull that crap all the time to get press, so I can't entirely blame them…

I think the Kickstarter subforum can safely be lost. My only concern / objection to indie rpgs being merged with general RPG is that indie developers may feel less inclined to post about their projects, if they feel like they'll just be ignored in a sea of posts about the AAA behemoths. Lots of people here probably ignore the indie subforum anyway, but I try to check it frequently. I sometimes even encourage indie developers to post there when I learn about their game elsewhere.

I think whatever changes can make RPG developers feel welcome here to talk about their games is a good thing.. like Nyx's suggestion of a developer subforum. And more RPGWatch interviews would be great, too.
Last edited by daveyd; July 19th, 2016 at 04:02.

daveyd

Keeper of the Watch

July 22nd, 2016, 12:54
I have actually one wish: Drop the "Last game you finished" thread.

pibbur who thinks the "Last game(s) you bought" thread is OK.
--
d++a61e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

pibbur who

Number 13
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

July 22nd, 2016, 18:56
I believe a double perspective could solve many problems if technically possible. You could see and use the sub forums directly as currently, but a parent forum would be added for each main section. It would allow see the threads merge of all sub forums of the section. You could reply but for creating a new thread, request a sub forum choice among a list.

Just check all the new posts of all the forums won't work because posts in news section would overload everything.

For the problem of the forums very specific to a series or to a genre/theamatic, if the forum want keep a highlight of a selection of series, there's some negative to keep there everything, and there's negative to just destroy a sub forum by merging.

So make a sub forum to put there specialized sub-forums the forum want put in background. In that sub forum no post or new thread would be allowed, it would just show the list of sub forums put in background, as NWN2 is in CRPG forum.

Sanglon

Watchdog

July 22nd, 2016, 20:58
Originally Posted by pibbur who View Post
I have actually one wish: Drop the "Last game you finished" thread.
Lol, ok, I'll bite, I like a laugh. So, come on then, spill the beans, what don't you like about the Last Game You Finished thread?

Spoiler – Hmmm

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

July 22nd, 2016, 21:06
It's been a loooong time since I've finished a game, so it's kind of embarassing. But I've bought many games since that.

pibbur
--
d++a61e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

pibbur who

Number 13
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

July 22nd, 2016, 21:25
Oh right, is that it? Lol.

You do realise you don't have to actually complete a game to post to that thread. when it says You Finished it means a game you've ceased to play, for whatever reason. As in, I've played this as much as I'm going to for now. Though, of course, for some games it could mean I've finished the main plot so am writing my thoughts on that but still continuing to mess about with the game.

I had no idea you were such a literal person.

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

July 22nd, 2016, 21:48
I don't think he's quite that literal, but rather you who failed to see the irony x)
--
Though the monsters lurk in the hateful marshes, I will dance on the Stygian river.
And I will be beautiful. For though I am not pure, I am honest.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/NyxVampiria/

Nyx

Goddess of the Night
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » Let's discuss the forum structure