|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Last game you finished, tell us about it

Default Last game you finished, tell us about it

April 29th, 2008, 01:51
Quite recently I've finished Wizardry 8 with Dodd's mod and as I said in the respective thread, I was having a great time from start to finish.

More recently, I've finished Might&Magic 7 with new BigdaddyJim's mod.
The mod itself is pretty impressive work. It rebalances the game quite significantly, adds quite a lot of new quests and puzzles and alos has some funny tngue-in-cheek moments.
Still, this playthrough reminded me why I wasn't that satisfied with MM6 and to a degree MM7 (I've played and finished MM6 once and stopped playing MM7 at about 2/3 into the game).
Most of the game consisted of running/teleporting from teacher to teacher or doing promotional quests while the main story was buried in the background. When it kicked in, it ended pretty fast and the ending was quite anticlimatic (MM6 was a bit better in this regard). A lot of combat was more tedious than tactical and I'm surprised my mouse survived the clicking fury.

Although the mod raises the number of opponents, it also adds some very useful items obtainable not far from the beginning so the balance in this regard is more or less the same as in the vanilla game.
Probably the most useful mod's addition for later stages is - and this is a big spoiler, so if you want to try the mod, don't read it! -
Spoiler

Mod also adds the opportunity to let each party member to learn second class, but I started the relevant quest probably too late in the game and never got to finish it.
Some added encounters were quite tough and I enjoyed them for that.
Especially - again, this is a big spoiler! -
Spoiler

Also, there is quite hilarious after-end surprise added by the mod.

In conclusion, I was well entertained during the whole run (which lasted about 35-40 hours) even though it wasn't on the most satisfactory level. The mod made the whole experience more enjoyable for me, that's for sure.

For completness, here's my winning screen:
Spoiler

What you think about most, is what you become.
Last edited by DeepO; April 29th, 2008 at 01:57.

DeepO

deep outside

April 29th, 2008, 03:00
I've only finished handheld stuff recently … am nearly done with the next 'Whole Game In My Hand' and have 3 games in progress for the one after that!

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

May 6th, 2008, 19:14
Last game I finished was Ultima IX. I used the user-mod script to make it more 'Ultima like.' That still didn't help. I actually get angry when I think about playing it!

Playing BG1tutu to get the taste out of my mouth!

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

May 6th, 2008, 19:23
Finished 'Clyde's Revenge', now I'm continuing my journey through 'Kingdom Hearts'.

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

June 6th, 2008, 13:13
Arcanum (8/10)
Arcanum have several similarities with the Fallout series, which is no surprise considering the authors of Fallout also made Arcanum. Having finished the game I have finished all 3 of Troika's games and also ending a chapter in my gaming history. It feels nice to have it done. Arcanum was still littered with bugs and balance issues. I finished the entire game using only one offensive spell (harm). It's the story, the open freeroaming world and the nice and original universe that still makes Arcanum playable today, for the people who enjoy theese kind of games.

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

June 8th, 2008, 21:55
Last game I finished is Supreme Commander. The ending came sooner then expected. The missions were good, but sometimes to long. I also think there were to few of them to win. My proposal would be to split some up in two or more missions.
I have to finish the addon now, but I don't know weather I finish it. With the troubles on my new pc I had, I have to start all over again. (I installed first on a raid 0 vista ultimate. Then I bought this week an extra HD, cause win XP didn't recognize my raid 0 setup. I installed and had the luminous idea to install ubuntu -> grub fucked up and I could only startup win xp. Nothing on the diverse fora of both linux and windows helped and it came to a reďnstall of vista ultimate.)

so very, very tired (Star Trek XI quote according to the Simpsons)

Bartacus

BartWatch

June 9th, 2008, 01:58
Last game I finished was Doom. Yeah, first part of the series. Not much to say about it besides I had great fun and started to play second part .

nessosin

Watchdog

June 9th, 2008, 06:26
Then you can look forward to the Archviles… .

Semper HiFi!

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

June 9th, 2008, 12:21
Originally Posted by nessosin View Post
Last game I finished was Doom. Yeah, first part of the series. Not much to say about it besides I had great fun and started to play second part .
Doom2 was one of the last FPS I really liked at the time. My taste for another one has vanished since. Still I tried number 3 -> Wasn't good imo.

so very, very tired (Star Trek XI quote according to the Simpsons)

Bartacus

BartWatch

June 10th, 2008, 16:39
Mass Effect (9/10)
Graphically and cinematically a fantastic game. Mechanically it's more of a dissappointment. I decided to rate this as the RPG/FPS hybrid it is, kinda like playing KOTOR meets Jedi Academy. I did enjoy myself. Btw, took me 4 days to finish the game.

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

June 10th, 2008, 17:02
Just finished Baldur's Gate TuTu with the NPC project mod. Lots of fun, but did get a bit tedious in chapter 5 (as I remembered). Someone really needs to make a new ending mod for it. I know they were planning a sequel, but the animation at the end was interesting, but throughly unsatisfying. I would have preferred some along the lines of:

1) You reflecting onto yourself, based on how you played the game what to do next. If you were evil, you contemplate how you can succeed where Sarevok failed, if you were neutral or good, you struggle with the turmoil of your evil soul, but the higher the reputation, the more confident you are you can control it.
2) Some information on your companions. Many didn't make it into BGII (which sure they may have not know at the time), so maybe some stay with you, some leave you because they are returning to their homes, some leave you because you actions ultimately went against their alignment (I loved how from the NPC project, when you accept the thieves quests, Jaheria goes off on you and sounds like she is about to leave).

It could end with you leaving Baldur's Gate, the NPC's leave that want to leave and you wonder about your fate. I think that would segway nicely into the beginning of BGII, but also give you a nice wrap up for completing BG1.

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett
Last edited by blatantninja; June 20th, 2008 at 19:40.

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

June 15th, 2008, 11:52
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
Wow, it took YOU four days. I'll probably be playing it for months.
I ran the game with a walkthrough which speeded things up, but I was also VERY thorough. I surveyed every solar system in the game and I salvaged every piece on every landable planet. I unlocked every locker and I sold everything. Naturally I finished every quest available to a Paragon player. Eventually I capped my money, despite buying more than I needed of every expensive item in the game.

Penumbra: Black Plague (7/10)
Penumbra is a budget horror game. I have rated this game compared to professional games, which might be unfair. If I would rate it as a budget game it would probably earn a nine, or ten. The prequel was mostly a FPS-style adventure game, but in the sequel the combat is completely removed in favor for puzzle-style solutions. This was a good move as far as I concern, as it manages to make the player feel vulnerable throughout the entire game, making the game scarier than games like Undying, where too many weapons eventually made the game less and less scary. Storywise, the game reminds me about Lovecraft, but there's also moments almost stolen from Silent Hill. The second chapter also feels influenced by zombie movies. Overall it's a must-play game for horror fans, but make sure you play the prequel (Penumbra: Overture) first.

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

June 15th, 2008, 17:04
I finished Black Plague back when it was first released. It has to be one of the shortest games I've ever played, I felt cheated even despite the budget price. I thought the first game was better.

JDR13

SasqWatch

June 20th, 2008, 19:04
Finished Wizardry 1, 2 and 3. I got the honors: "Defeat Werdna", "Trebor Guard", "Obtain the Staff" and "Protector of the Orb". I think Im gonna playing somthing else for a while before continuing to wizardry 4.

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

zakhal

HomelyRebel

June 20th, 2008, 21:54
zakhal, did you end up playing the PS1 versions? That was really fast btw, I remember when you started Wiz 1 just a few weeks ago.

JDR13

SasqWatch

June 20th, 2008, 23:18
Grim Fandango ( 8 / 10 )

Considered the best Lucas Arts adventure by many from what I've heard, I have to say that it was indeed lots of fun, but: Overall I wasn't too fond of the setting and art direction, and I liked the real classics better (MI, Indy, DotT, Sam'n'Max). Still, there were many nice moments that had me laughing out loud, and it was great playing one of the good old adventures I had never played before.

The extro could have been a bit longer too…

Next on my list is "The Dig". I think I've played all the others.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey
Last edited by Arhu; June 20th, 2008 at 23:28.

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

June 20th, 2008, 23:36
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
zakhal, did you end up playing the PS1 versions? That was really fast btw, I remember when you started Wiz 1 just a few weeks ago.
Nope I chose the windows one. The ps1 version doesnt have full english translation and I liked the windows version more. The new automap was really handy allthough you can disabled it if you want more challenge (not). Wiz1 was not that hard - I killed werdna on first try. Wiz2 was real easy with wiz1 characters and malor spell (lifesaver!). Wiz3 was hardest - I had never played it before and in that game you have to relevel the characters but the mobs give very little xp when compared to previous games.

I didnt really find much of special weapons. Just one blade of cusinart in first wiz. Wiz2 had quest items that worked as top-grade weapons. Wiz3 gave lots of stuff but mostly +2 only - nothing special.

Throughout the games I had a party of lord, ninja, samurai and priest/mage, priest/mage and priest/mage. When I countered werdna I had 4 characters who could cast montino and three priest/mages with full spell lists - werdna had no chance against me. Werdna defeated me 3 years ago (I even deleted the savegames) when I played wiz1 first time - this time I made sure he would loose.

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

zakhal

HomelyRebel

June 21st, 2008, 09:06
Originally Posted by Arhu View Post
Next on my list is "The Dig". I think I've played all the others.
Ah, that one. Rather shortish, too, but great screwball comedy and wonderful music and atmosphere. And one quite frustrating puzzle. But I really, really loved that one .

I just finished Hexen: Deathkings. When playing it for the first time back in.. umm… 1706 with my (then) favorite character class the cleric, I found it quite difficult even when playing on easy difficulty. After replaying it about 100 times and picking different character classes, I discovered that it's actually doable. Especially playing as a mage is a breeze. He may be the weakest character, but his default weapon is priceless in that it is a) long distance and b) its shots don't get reflected. Besides, it doesn't use mana, so - the irony! - is the character class that is the least dependent on mana…

Semper HiFi!

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

June 21st, 2008, 17:32
Originally Posted by zakhal View Post
Nope I chose the windows one. The ps1 version doesnt have full english translation and I liked the windows version more.
So you played the Japanese version obviously. Where did you find a full copy? I would like to get one.

JDR13

SasqWatch

June 22nd, 2008, 10:18
Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, Mysteries of the Sith
I wont rate this game. It's too old for that. None but the most serious starwars fans would probably bother about it anyway, and you should probably have read the Thrawn Trilogy before playing it anyway.
The graphics have not aged with dignity and for some reasons I could not make the cutscenes play… After finishing most of the game, I managed to find them on youtube. They were better than the actual game. I had many speedproblems such as moving faster than required, and often the forcebar messed up, wasting too much force or too little force. This was annoying and barely let me use the forcepowers at all. At least MotS give more sense to Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, which I did not understand when I played it. Ohwell, at least I finished it now. I wonder if I will bother about Dark Forces later…

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Tags
games, mini review
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Last game you finished, tell us about it