|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Din's Curse - Review @ GamerCast

Default Din's Curse - Review @ GamerCast

July 22nd, 2011, 23:49
Soldak sends word of a new Din's Curse review at GamerCast with a score of 4/5:
The true buzz word for Dins Curse is dynamic, but it is all true, you won’t find one scripted event in the game unlike Diablo, Magicka, Torchlight, you name it, unless it is procedurally generated there is no dungeon crawler that rivals the dynamism of Dins Curse, you will literally be on your toes throughout the game, you never know what to expect which is what makes the game all the more engaging.
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

July 22nd, 2011, 23:49
I tried this game. It is just a town with a small dungeon. Once you finish it, you start over by generating a town again, again with a small dungeon.

It is like playing just the infinite dungeon of torchlight, without any story section before it. Once you do the town once, there isn't much point repeating the effort…

zz

Watcher

July 23rd, 2011, 01:08
Except that every town is different, every situation is different, the monsters have different plans, quests are different, and some other threat is looming that may need a somewhat different approach to dealing with it.

Said approach usually involves thumping a lot of enemies, true, so it's not quite like playing a whole new game of Civilization each time. But I find it a lot more interesting and dynamic than Torchlight, or even Diablo 2. While after a few towns you can get a pretty good grasp of most of the formulas, I'm still finding things new and different enough each time to have a lot of fun with it.

RampantCoyote

SasqWatch

July 23rd, 2011, 01:31
Wow, zz totally missed the point of the game…or the fact that everything changes from game to game…

If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch

July 23rd, 2011, 10:39
Originally Posted by zz View Post
It is like playing just the infinite dungeon of torchlight, without any story section before it. Once you do the town once, there isn't much point repeating the effort…
This game is all about powergaming. The point repeating the effort in powergaming approach is to grow your character in that scaring character that all power gamers love.

Certainly not my cup of tea(I largely prefer RP over powergaming) but the game is well done powergamingwise.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Din's Curse - Review @ GamerCast