|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » question about Mass Effect game

Default question about Mass Effect game

March 5th, 2007, 16:19
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
… all this because I said that Halo was over-rated, that had it been released on PC first it would have gotten 8/10's and had said 'cool story and nice vehicles & squad stuff, but short & too linear and amazingly repetitive and uninteresting gameplay for how short it was'.
Shame on you for saying an old fps is overrated in a Mass Effect thread. Look now what you did.

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

March 5th, 2007, 17:05
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
Shame on you for saying an old fps is overrated in a Mass Effect thread. Look now what you did.
It's not my fault! I was replying on someone using Halo to cite their only like of a XBOX to PC port. Personally I liked KotOR.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

March 5th, 2007, 17:09
It's not my fault! I was replying on someone using Halo to cite their only like of a XBOX to PC port. Personally I liked KotOR.
It is your fault. I say lynch him.

Asbjoern

N'wah

March 5th, 2007, 17:12
KotOR, now that's a great game. I remember… hey! do not do that again!

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

March 5th, 2007, 17:14
Originally Posted by Asbjoern View Post
It is your fault. I say lynch him.
I am almost done with Jedi Knight II so I couldn't help using the 'It's not my fault' line

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

March 6th, 2007, 03:04
Apples and oranges here.

I enjoyed Halo but had to force(no pun intended) myself to finish KOTOR.

I don't know why I didn't like KOTOR as much as everyone else seems to. It had a good story and setting, but I just didn't really get into it.

Now Jedi Knight II on the other hand….. classic!

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 6th, 2007, 13:37
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Apples and oranges here.
Truly - when I was getting ready for KotOR, I was totally shooter-based and didn't think I liked RPG's based on history … so I asked what would prep me and people said NWN, if I liked that I'd be ready for KotOR. Fortunately for me I loved NWN. But many shooter/action fans just can't get into the pacing of those games.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

March 7th, 2007, 10:53
Originally Posted by Asbjoern
RPG isn't about character developing or personal choice. To roleplay is about immersing yourself in a world that isn't physically around you. I thought HL-2 was a linear game that didn't feel linear. There always were a lot of different sideways, which gave the impression that it actually was a fluent world.
HL-2 was a linear game that felt like just yet another lackluster, railroaded, corridor shooter to me. Go figure.

Originally Posted by Asbjoern
Role is for me story and being in another world than your own. To see a sci-fi movie is to roleplay because you immerse yourself in something that isn't physically around you. All fiction is roleplaying for me. but then,
Please update your definition of roleplay. I doubt your definition is shared by many/any with English as their first language.

It is impossible to roleplay a book or a movie because they lack all interactivity. For the term to be useful in defining computer and video games, it is generally agreed upon that you need to be able to make up and play out your own role, or at least be able to define the personality of the protagonist, and not just be fed with whatever the developers had in mind. The latter is the case in HL2.

As for Mass Effect, I know little and will care even less until it's out for PC as well.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe

KazikluBey

Sentinel

March 7th, 2007, 12:28
Originally Posted by KazikluBey View Post
HL-2 was a linear game that felt like just yet another lackluster, railroaded, corridor shooter to me. Go figure.
Well, good for you.

Please update your definition of roleplay. I doubt your definition is shared by many/any with English as their first language.

It is impossible to roleplay a book or a movie because they lack all interactivity. For the term to be useful in defining computer and video games, it is generally agreed upon that you need to be able to make up and play out your own role, or at least be able to define the personality of the protagonist, and not just be fed with whatever the developers had in mind. The latter is the case in HL2.

As for Mass Effect, I know little and will care even less until it's out for PC as well.
"1. to assume the attitudes, actions, and discourse of (another), esp. in a make-believe situation in an effort to understand a differing point of view or social interaction."

I think this one from your link covers it pretty well. You assume the attitude and role of Gordon Freeman in a make-believe situation in an effort to understand the conditions of a human race being suppresed and the horrors they are given.

Interactivity is your mind. When I read or see a movie I think about what I am being presented with and that creates interactivity. I don't physically have to be in control of the character to roleplay. It is about immersion.

generally agreed upon
Yeah, good argument.

and not just be fed with whatever the developers had in mind
So you are saying with that negative line, that every author, director or developer are wrong when they present a crafted story. That is exactly their job to decide a narrative. Authors decide actions and story.

Every story is about identifying yourself in the persons and story presented. And by identifying yourself you roleplay the character because you become "one".

Half-Life 2 is more about roleplaying for me than for ex. Diablo 2.

But yes, it might just be my personal definition of roleplaying.

vh. Asbjørn
Last edited by Asbjoern; March 7th, 2007 at 12:43.

Asbjoern

N'wah

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

March 7th, 2007, 13:14
Perhaps we should make a new topic about what roleplaying is or what roleplaying ought to be.

Asbjoern

N'wah

March 7th, 2007, 13:20
Let's also have the discussion if Zelda is an action adventuregame or if Nintendo just established an oxymoron. Lets discuss if all games with a danger-filled storyline is to be considered an adventuregame, or if Resident Evil is an adventuregame since it's played the same as Alone in the Dark, if Dreamfall is an adventuregame when it contains action sequences or if Oblivion is a roleplaying game when you make no more personal choices than stats on your character.

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

March 7th, 2007, 13:45
Let's also have the discussion if Zelda is an action adventuregame or if Nintendo just established an oxymoron. Lets discuss if all games with a danger-filled storyline is to be considered an adventuregame, or if Resident Evil is an adventuregame since it's played the same as Alone in the Dark, if Dreamfall is an adventuregame when it contains action sequences or if Oblivion is a roleplaying game when you make no more personal choices than stats on your character.
… let's just all blow our brains out instead …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

March 7th, 2007, 14:10
Thanks for that JemyM.

Asbjoern

N'wah

March 7th, 2007, 14:34

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

March 7th, 2007, 14:49
Thanks for that JemyM.
^_^

Well, a such thread would probably work.

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

March 7th, 2007, 15:05
^_^

Well, a such thread would probably work.
The go ahead and start one and see where it goes

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

March 7th, 2007, 16:04
ah, it can be a brief discussion.

- The general perception of the genre RPG decends from the tabletop/Pen'n'paper roleplaying games, where you have a character you develop and fight the world with (short and inaccurate describtion).

- My perception of roleplaying is about story and immersion. So every work of fiction is roleplaying (short and inaccurate describtion).

The first is a genre the second is a interpretation of the word "roleplaying". Both are right and wrong.

Discussion ended.

Regards Asbjørn

Asbjoern

N'wah

March 7th, 2007, 16:17
Discussion ended.
Wait, you forgot the part where Oblivion is ritually carried through the village square and then trashed.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

March 7th, 2007, 20:45
… let's just all blow our brains out instead …
OK, cool, but… you go first!

Moriendor

Spielkind

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » question about Mass Effect game