|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bethesda Softworks - Legal Moves Against Notch?

Default Bethesda Softworks - Legal Moves Against Notch?

August 19th, 2011, 00:35
So no one cares that it was notch that put up scrolls as a copyright and bethesda was reacting to that? Just curious.

If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch

August 19th, 2011, 00:51
Originally Posted by rune_74 View Post
So no one cares that it was notch that put up scrolls as a copyright and bethesda was reacting to that? Just curious.
I read his quote and I really don't think he was out of line. I still think Bethesda's lawyers were overreacting. No one is going to mistake Scrolls for The Elder Scrolls. There's nothing particular scoll-ish about those games and I think most people know them more commonly by 'Morrowind', 'Oblivion', 'Skyrim' etc anyway.

The PR alone on this makes Bethesda look bad. It's not worth it. They shouldn't have gone there.

Motoki

Keeper of the Watch

August 19th, 2011, 00:51
Bethesda has copyrighted a sentence. Mojang copyrighted a word. They are two different things. A swedish court will ultimately decide if that is the case.

Originally Posted by Motoki View Post
There's nothing particular scoll-ish about those games and I think most people know them more commonly by 'Morrowind', 'Oblivion', 'Skyrim' etc anyway.
As their registered trademarks confirm.

hishadow

Level N+1

August 19th, 2011, 23:05
What about "The Younger Scrolls" ?
Doesn't exist so far, as far as I know …

Or even … "The No-Scrolls" …

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 20th, 2011, 18:19
In the EU, and Europe, in general, you cannot copyright a sentence or a word (maybe in the US?). You can register a trademark (tm) with an official board and describe what your trademark does in detail. As I understand it…

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bethesda Softworks - Legal Moves Against Notch?