|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Review Avalanche

Default Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Review Avalanche

August 23rd, 2011, 02:18
The Deus Ex: Human Revolution review embargo has been lifted a day or so before the release and reviews are up everywhere. Here's a collection courtesy of Blue's and our own wandering - the lowest score we've seen is 8/10 and most are in the 9s, so it looks like his will be a hit.
Eurogamer - 9/10:
The systems that underpin everything are all great. Dialogue and interrogation are like boxing, full of ducks and weaves and - if you buy the right augment - vital signs and physiological tells upon which you win or lose exchanges. Stealth is based on line of sight and the cover system is perfect, allowing you to hide and move with confidence in every situation. Direct combat is brutal and difficult, but once you think beyond the assault rifle and start mixing it up with various kinds of explosives and projectiles, you can really master your environment.
Hacking is my favourite, though. There are computers, door panels and security systems all over the world to break into using a mini-game where you have to take over nodes one by one without being noticed. If you are, then it's a race against time, or you can pull out and try again using viruses and augmentations to try to remain undetected. Most hacks yield bonus cash and tools if you probe the right regions, too. It's always about risk versus reward rather than just puzzle-solving.
Rock, Paper, Shotgun - no score but they obviously liked it despite some minor foibles:
What you have here is a compellingly entertaining game, with some of the most rewarding stealth Iíve encountered. And most of all, you have choice. Choice about whether you mow down enemies with a machine gun, or tap them on the shoulders and punch them in the face. Choice about whether you sneak in via the roof, through the sewers, or march boldly in through the front door. Choice about whether you hack, smash or learn passwords through information retrieval. Choice about whether people live or die. So in those tiny moments when the game robs you of choice, it rather offends. But mostly it does not, and itís a fantastic, elaborate, and so rarely today, long game.
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

August 23rd, 2011, 02:18
The marketing team demanded boss fights apparently, and then coded/designed them as well (joking, but that seems to be the consensus lame aspect of the game). Can't wait.

Melvil

Super Duper Super Sweet

August 23rd, 2011, 02:52
HD version of GameTrailer's review (they gave it an 8.7): http://www.gametrailers.com/video/re…eus-ex/719502?

Only 20 hours but it should be possible to replay at least once.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

August 23rd, 2011, 03:29
Looks similar to the scores those reviewers gave to games like Oblivion and Dragon Age 2.

All kidding aside.. I'm extremely optimistic about this game, and I have the feeling that I might actually be agreeing with the reviewers for once.

JDR13

SasqWatch

August 23rd, 2011, 04:41
Nice big list you guys have compiled for us there. Thanks. It looks impressive when you stack it up like that.

Normally, I'd make a sarcastic crack, too, as we all know there have been plenty of crappy games well reviewed, but I'm surprisingly optimistic about this one, too. This one wasn't even on my radar until late. The lack of character development aside from augmentations was a big minus for me. But then I started reading for real, and was intrigued by lots of little examples of gameplay. If they have nailed game design and the meaningful choice offered in the actual gameplay for creative solutions, as it seems they might have, I've found myself looking forward this one a lot lately.

Still wish I could talk my way through boss fights, though, even if it's just a slim chance….

I'm really tired and have paperwork to do. Now, to see if I can make it well past midnight tonight…

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

August 23rd, 2011, 04:48
Well should have preloaded. I figured the game came out tomorrow here and would download tonight but seems to be available now. Does sound promising from the reviews. Wont read too much since I find too many reviews reveal too much information and I know next to nothing about the game.

figment

Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor

August 23rd, 2011, 10:21
What more to say than:
Sold!

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

Talking 

August 23rd, 2011, 17:43
New video card comes in today (with free Deus Ex HR Steam download code included). I'll be playing tomorrow night at the latest. Can't wait.

Falchor

Watchdog

August 23rd, 2011, 19:41
Speaking of graphics, the game looks pretty slick. I don't have the newest card in the world, and I'm surprised how smoothly is runs on high settings. The code monkeys seem to have optimized it well.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

August 23rd, 2011, 22:19
Just put my purchase info through to Steam.

Captain Buzzkill

Sentinel

August 23rd, 2011, 22:19
I'll be checking it out this evening. Starcraft, bye, bye….

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 24th, 2011, 07:09
I swore to myself I would finish Fallout: New Vegas before I buy any new games, but Square Enix isn't making it easy…

khaight

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Review Avalanche