|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Legend of Grimrock - First Gameplay Video

Default Legend of Grimrock - First Gameplay Video

August 25th, 2011, 06:48
We've moved on from animation videos and now you can see the first gameplay video for Legend of Grimrock.
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

August 25th, 2011, 06:48
Dang, game sure looks good. I just wonder how much "game" there will be. I think I heard them mention there is somewhere around 8 hours of content so far but they are still working so hopefully will be more than that.

What gives me the most hesitation in getting excited about this is its only been in development a few months and they hope to finish by the end of the year. That is one QUICK dev cycle.

Saxon1974

Sentinel

August 25th, 2011, 09:03
Looks better and better. Extremely competent for such a small team.

Still looks like a somewhat simple DM clone in terms of gameplay, but it's without a doubt the prettiest I've seen.

If it's a success, which it's bound to be, I hope they'll aim higher in the gamey department for their next title.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

August 25th, 2011, 09:32
Damn that game looks good. Now i am jealous

Twotricks

Sentinel

August 25th, 2011, 10:48
Didn't know it was dungeon only. Or maybe I simply forgot. Anyway, I'm not a big fan of dungeon crawlers, so I'll probably pass. Still, the gameplay and engine looks good, so maybe they'll make something more "Might and Magic like" in the future.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

August 25th, 2011, 11:32
Looking great - definitely a solid foundation to build on. I think a DM clone is what they are going for (updated with high-end graphics tech) - and I'm totally fine with that. Its hard to judge the depth of gameplay from a short video. The key to its success will be in the level designs.

Myrkrel

Sentinel

August 25th, 2011, 12:25
Originally Posted by Myrkrel View Post
Looking great - definitely a solid foundation to build on. I think a DM clone is what they are going for (updated with high-end graphics tech) - and I'm totally fine with that. Its hard to judge the depth of gameplay from a short video. The key to its success will be in the level designs.
Couldn't say better.

Von Paulus

Sentinel

August 25th, 2011, 14:31
Damn they are making fast progress. I hope this is a very long might and magic sort of game with a comprehensive story

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor

August 25th, 2011, 15:14
Doubt it'll be a Might & Magic level of exploration/world/story RPG. It seems to have much more in common with the Eye of the Beholder series. At the time, those were quite simple "maze exploration" games, with monsters, gear, and lots of secret walls, buttons, traps/pits. The forum on the site suggests they have no plans for any kind of overworld.

Now, there's nothing wrong with a new EOB - I enjoyed replaying them a couple of years ago. The main thing to get right is level design, and have variety in level graphics to ensure it feels fesh. So far, we've only seen one style of "dungeon" really from Grimrock, so I hope they introduce more variety as they go, to keep it from getting stale.

Irien

Watcher

August 25th, 2011, 15:28
My first dungeon crawler was ultima underworld 20 years ago and it was better than any of these block crawlers. After underoworld I played eye of the beholder and I was somwhat underwhelmed. Its like going backwards in evolution.

Still its not like I dont enjoy these too but one big reason is that there are no better options for dungeon crawler and there is only so many times I can replay underworld/arx fatalis.

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

zakhal

HomelyRebel

August 25th, 2011, 18:45
Nice! I'm keeping an eye on this one!

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 25th, 2011, 23:36
It looks nice, but I agree with the general sentiment that if the whole game is like this, it wouldn't be something I would be interested in. The dungeon environment seems monotonous and very samey, with not much distinguishing one area from the next. That would get boring real quick. I can understand the game set in a dungeon, but there needs to be many different environments within the dungeon to keep the game play fresh such as caves, perhaps small lakes or water environments, a variety of different types of rooms with varying furnishings etc. , there are tons of different things that can be done instead of an endless procession of the same looking corridors.

Arkadia7

Sentinel

August 25th, 2011, 23:39
Well my priority is varied gameplay rather than varied environments. I hope the devs are in alignment with me.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 26th, 2011, 02:06
I'm impressed by what I've seen of this game so far. It's almost hard to believe this is an indie title.. the monster animations are nearly AAA quality. I'm a little skeptical of how simplistic the combat appears to be though.

I'll be curious to see what the final game-length estimates are, and also how they're going to price it.

JDR13

SasqWatch

August 26th, 2011, 02:54
Originally Posted by zakhal View Post
My first dungeon crawler was ultima underworld 20 years ago and it was better than any of these block crawlers.
+1. Once i had played UUW there was just no going back to those games, the free- look and movement alone made up for it.. I think UUW1-2 in fact are the only dungeon crawlers that i've really enjoyed. EoB and DM were a total bore fest after while, extremely little variation both in level design and gameplay, at least as i remember it.

vurt

Serial Modderer

August 26th, 2011, 03:21
This is being made by a veterans of remedy(alan wake) and shattered horizons. These are not just new guys.

If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch

August 26th, 2011, 05:54
Somehow I think that guys who spit out AAA monster graphics on a weekly basis will also have more than one type of corridor in the game.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

August 26th, 2011, 11:49
All I have to say is why make the old mistakes again too?

You have to remember 4 shapes and enter them in a real time battle to cast a spell? Are they stupid?!

You got your warriors who only have to single click their axe and they're away…
Then to use your wizard you open up an onscreen keyboard (after finding the right code on a scroll first, which you've probably cast before but cant remember the code for, or maybe remembered the code from a previous playthrough), enter the ~4 digit code and hit enter and you get a firebolt…

It doesn't even save them for a quick reuse? Even Arx Fatalis let you pre-bake three spells. Gesture systems suck even if the gestures are a keypad of random shapes. Why not just make them numbers? Easier to remember? Oh, not magical enough? Runes, huh? Yeah, good one. its really immersing me in the lore…….

The problems with this system are obvious and could be a shadow of more awful design choices to come. Its fine to try to make a classic RPG but don't just remake it in 3D with no idea why it was good and why it was bad too.

If you add a feature think about how it impacts on the gameplay. Did I really have to say that?!

SirJames

Sentinel

August 26th, 2011, 11:54
I actually thought the spell system seemed involved and fun, different strokes I guess

Melvil

Super Duper Super Sweet

August 26th, 2011, 12:02
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
All I have to say is why make the old mistakes again too?

You have to remember 4 shapes and enter them in a real time battle to cast a spell? Are they stupid?!

You got your warriors who only have to single click their axe and they're away…
Then to use your wizard you open up an onscreen keyboard (after finding the right code on a scroll first, which you've probably cast before but cant remember the code for, or maybe remembered the code from a previous playthrough), enter the ~4 digit code and hit enter and you get a firebolt…

It doesn't even save them for a quick reuse? Even Arx Fatalis let you pre-bake three spells. Gesture systems suck even if the gestures are a keypad of random shapes. Why not just make them numbers? Easier to remember? Oh, not magical enough? Runes, huh? Yeah, good one. its really immersing me in the lore…….

The problems with this system are obvious and could be a shadow of more awful design choices to come. Its fine to try to make a classic RPG but don't just remake it in 3D with no idea why it was good and why it was bad too.

If you add a feature think about how it impacts on the gameplay. Did I really have to say that?!
Or, instead of ranting here, you could just give your feedback on their blog…

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Legend of Grimrock - First Gameplay Video