|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Twin Peaks Returns

Default Twin Peaks Returns

October 11th, 2014, 06:52
Hey all.

Seems like one of my favorite tv-shows of all time is returning after 25 years.
David Lynch and Mark Frost are both involved in it, and it will air on Showtime, with 9 episodes planned so far.

I'm pretty curious how that will work. I bet the original cast are either old or probably won't want to reprise their roles. It's going to be interesting.

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/n…2016-showtime/

Anyone else excited for this?
danutz_plusplus is offline

danutz_plusplus

danutz_plusplus's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#1

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,140

Default 

October 11th, 2014, 08:26
I've yet to see the first one.

Does it hold up?

I'm not a fan of typical Lynch and his deliberately obscure style, so if it's one of those "imagine your own explanation" shows - I'll take a pass.

But so many people have said so many good things about it, that I'm curious.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#2

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,812

Default 

October 11th, 2014, 10:28
I've also been curious about it. The original series is on NetFlix (Or at least it was the last time I checked) so I might finally give it a try.

I'm just not sure if I'll "get it" 24 years later. I know a lot of people hold it in high regard, but the 90's was a different era.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#3

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 18,018

Default 

October 11th, 2014, 11:25
Well, I didn't see it when it aired originally, and saw it at least 10-15 years later.
And I believe it aged very nicely. It didn't age at all imo. It's timeless.

It's very much in Lynch's style, but I love his style. For example, Remedy used Twin Peaks as a strong influence for Alan Wake, so if you like that narative, you'll love this one. It does have obscure things, and plenty of symbolism and weird stuff, which is very usual in a Lynch movie. But it also has good humor, very likable characters. It's very dream-like and eerie.

I'd highly recommend it. And they also made a tie-in movie, Fire Walk with Me, which fills in some other unexplained things. Unfortunately, the series was cut short after 2 seasons, and plenty of stuff remained unexplained, which, from what I hear, they plan on filling in.

Good thing is, the storyline in the new series will also take place 25 or so years later. So they don't have to resort to trickery for the aging actors. Plus, they have the main actor already signed in.
danutz_plusplus is offline

danutz_plusplus

danutz_plusplus's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#4

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,140

Default 

October 11th, 2014, 11:30
I saw it a few years ago and liked it a lot. The first season was better than the second though. So for me they still worked. I am however not a fan of most of the David Lynch movies, so I have some reservations on whether this is a good idea.

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#5

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 4,434

Default 

October 11th, 2014, 11:39
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
I saw it a few years ago and liked it a lot. The first season was better than the second though. So for me they still worked. I am however not a fan of most of the David Lynch movies, so I have some reservations on whether this is a good idea.
I love or like most of his movies. Loved Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway and Twin Peaks. Liked Wild at Heart, Blue Velvet and Dune, and I disliked Inland Empire (very slow-paced and weird as hell, with almost no explanation. I think I didn't even make it through it all). I also kind of liked Eraserhead, but that's got to be one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen.

I highly recommend Lost Highway. It's one hell of a thrill ride.
danutz_plusplus is offline

danutz_plusplus

danutz_plusplus's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#6

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,140

Default 

October 11th, 2014, 12:16
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Anyone else excited for this?
I saw the series when it first aired and was immediately hooked. I bought Twin Peaks books and magazines. I also got the soundtrack, Julee Cruise recordings and anything from Angelo Badalamenti that was available at that time. I dreamed of marrying the Log Lady.

That said, I tried watching the series again a couple of years back and I had to stop. Somehow the magic was gone. I couldn't figure out why I liked it so much years before.

So, I don't know how to feel about this. Part of me is all Yay! and the other part is skeptical. Guess I'll have to wait and see where Lynch is taking this.
Darkion is offline

Darkion

Darkion's Avatar
Watcher

#7

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 29

Default 

October 11th, 2014, 14:17
I remember remarking to a roommate once that I'd have liked the Harry Potter movies more if they'd been directed by David Lynch.

I like his style, and I've never seen Twin Peaks, or even know what it's about. But since I like DL so much, I'm curious.

"A woman's perfume tells more about her than her handwriting." - Christian Dior

Columnist, RPGWatch.
Aubrielle is offline

Aubrielle

Aubrielle's Avatar
Scribbler
RPGWatch Team

#8

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 537

Default 

October 11th, 2014, 22:22
We used to watch this religiously in my college dorm room sophomore year.

I want you, rockin' back inside my heart
I want you, rockin' back inside my…



"But if it's a battle," he said, "Which side is which?"
"If it's a battle," said Lilac.
Last edited by RedSocialKnight; October 12th, 2014 at 17:19.
RedSocialKnight is offline

RedSocialKnight

RedSocialKnight's Avatar
the stronger, slower one

#9

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 245

Default 

October 11th, 2014, 22:37
Twin Peaks is only the greatest television show of all-time …

Amazing series. I bought the complete box set on VHS about 6 or so years ago and watched it through with my mom. We were absolutely hooked after the first episode and it just got better and better.

I love everything about that show. It's weird, it's creepy, it's got beautiful women in it and the music by Angelo Badalamenti is incredible.

Overall, it's a must-watch. Masterful stuff, really.
Fluent is offline

Fluent

Fluent's Avatar
RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

#10

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,318

Default 

October 13th, 2014, 10:53
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I've yet to see the first one.

Does it hold up?

I'm not a fan of typical Lynch and his deliberately obscure style, so if it's one of those "imagine your own explanation" shows - I'll take a pass.

But so many people have said so many good things about it, that I'm curious.
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I've also been curious about it. The original series is on NetFlix (Or at least it was the last time I checked) so I might finally give it a try.

I'm just not sure if I'll "get it" 24 years later. I know a lot of people hold it in high regard, but the 90's was a different era.
I watched it all when it was originally on, and was a fan of Lynch's work already … but my wife also enjoyed it (she is NOT much of a Lynch fan).

I rewatched a few episodes while traveling a couple of years ago (bought it on Amazon Instant Video), and recently have been watching it among with my kids … and am amazed at how well most of it holds up over the years. There is a lot that was more striking 25 years ago because it hadn't ever been done before, but most of that remains interesting.

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#11

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,473

Default 

October 13th, 2014, 12:08
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
I watched it all when it was originally on, and was a fan of Lynch's work already … but my wife also enjoyed it (she is NOT much of a Lynch fan).

I rewatched a few episodes while traveling a couple of years ago (bought it on Amazon Instant Video), and recently have been watching it among with my kids … and am amazed at how well most of it holds up over the years. There is a lot that was more striking 25 years ago because it hadn't ever been done before, but most of that remains interesting.
Thanks.

Maybe I should have phrased my question better, though.

Is it "typical" Lynch, in that I have to make my own sense of it - or is there a plot that holds everything together if you look for it?
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#12

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,812

Default 

October 13th, 2014, 12:15
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Thanks.

Maybe I should have phrased my question better, though.

Is it "typical" Lynch, in that I have to make my own sense of it - or is there a plot that holds everything together if you look for it?
Yes.

I would say it shares more with 'Blue Velvet' than most of his other stuff … there is plenty of 'wild-ass-crazy-shit' to be had for Eraserhead fans, but there was also plenty of character and plot development going on that made it much more popular than anything else he did … LOADS of people who had never heard of Lynch were talking about it back in 1990 …

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#13

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,473

Default 

October 13th, 2014, 12:31
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Yes.

I would say it shares more with 'Blue Velvet' than most of his other stuff there is plenty of 'wild-ass-crazy-shit' to be had for Eraserhead fans, but there was also plenty of character and plot development going on that made it much more popular than anything else he did LOADS of people who had never heard of Lynch were talking about it back in 1990
Cool… Guess I'll check it out
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#14

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,812

Default 

October 13th, 2014, 18:56
I pretty much worshipped this show for years. I was a big Lynch fan long before the show, and that has never wavered. Movies like Blue Velvet paved the way for Twin Peaks, and several afterwards kept some elements in play. I even went to two of the fan meets and greets back in the 90's.

As long as Frost and Lynch are at the helm, all should be good. It just needs to be more like series one, as opposed to series two. The most recent dvd release does a great job of bringing a new viewer up to speed, imo.
Carnifex is online now

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#15

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, CA
Posts: 1,749

Default 

October 15th, 2014, 19:06
It was only a matter of time. Too many re-boots / re-makes - re-thingies these days …

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#16

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 16,002

Tags
twin peaks returns
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Twin Peaks Returns
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:03.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch