|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Xbox One v PS4

Default Xbox One v PS4

September 26th, 2014, 12:18
I was planing on buying Xbox controller to play PC games on the TV (steam streaming via laptop) and now I am thinking might as well buy a console as well!

However I am really torn between PS4 and Xbox One. They both looks pretty good now given that they cost about the same. I mainly play RPGs and 2 of the games I am looking forward to are DAI and Witcher 3. However I am also thinking of branching out to FPS type games as well.

What consoles people here have?

Also which controller is better and easy to use/learn? Once I tried PS3 controller and I wasn't big fan of the analog sticks and I gave up after a couple of days. Xbox one controller has d-pad and analog stick and I assume the analog stick is for camera movements?

lostforever

Keeper of the Watch

September 26th, 2014, 12:20
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
I was planing on buying Xbox controller to play PC games on the TV (steam streaming via laptop) and now I am thinking might as well buy a console as well!

However I am really torn between PS4 and Xbox One. They both looks pretty good now given that they cost about the same. I mainly play RPGs and 2 of the games I am looking forward to are DAI and Witcher 3. However I am also thinking of branching out to FPS type games as well.

What consoles people here have?

Also which controller is better and easy to use/learn? Once I tried PS3 controller and I wasn't big fan of the analog sticks and I gave up after a couple of days. Xbox one controller has d-pad and analog stick and I assume the analog stick is for camera movements?
Go PS4.

It's so far ahead of the race and there's no way MS can compete now. It's also more powerful, but that's really beside the point.

The key is always what platform is the most popular among publishers and developers, and PS4 is most definitely the one.

That's not to say Xbox won't have most of the games as well, but they'll all be inferior - because it's not the lead platform for development.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

September 26th, 2014, 12:51
Oh, as for the controller - I prefer the Xbox 360 controller over the PS3 controller. I haven't actually tried the Xbox One controller, but I hear it's better than the 360, which is otherwise the best I've tried.

The PS4 controller is better than PS3 in terms of comfort and features, but it has a very short battery life - which is REALLY stupid. I think it's something like 8 hours.

So, if we're talking controllers exclusively, I think it's a pretty safe bet that Xbox One wins out here.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

September 26th, 2014, 13:02
Thanks Dart for your answers.

I am not too bothered by battery life but how easy is it use the controllers? You see I have not played any games on consoles since SNES! So I need to learn to use controllers again and develop my muscle memory. Few months ago my brother lent me his PS3 and I tried to play some games and gave up mostly because I wasn't too good with the PS3 analog stick. I press to move and I move too much etc. Also I wan't very comfortable with using the analog stick to move the camera etc.

I don't really blame the PS3 controller as such since I think I might have same issues with xbox controller as well since the problem is my muscle memory. So the question really is, which one is easy and intuitive to learn muscle memory?

lostforever

Keeper of the Watch

September 26th, 2014, 13:14
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
Thanks Dart for your answers.

I am not too bothered by battery life but how easy is it use the controllers? You see I have not played any games on consoles since SNES! So I need to learn to use controllers again and develop my muscle memory. Few months ago my brother lent me his PS3 and I tried to play some games and gave up mostly because I wasn't too good with the PS3 analog stick. I press to move and I move too much etc. Also I wan't very comfortable with using the analog stick to move the camera etc.

I don't really blame the PS3 controller as such since I think I might have same issues with xbox controller as well since the problem is my muscle memory. So the question really is, which one is easy and intuitive to learn muscle memory?
Well, I can't exactly tell you how easy it is, because that's entirely subjective.

My own personal experience with the PS3 controller is that it was uncomfortable to hold for extended periods of time. My hands felt cramped - and I don't have big hands.

The PS4 controller is better and I've yet to experience a problem, beyond the battery life.

The Xbox controllers tend to be larger - and I think they're very comfortable. They also have LONG battery life - and I prefer their "triggers" - because they have more "leeway" for the analogue position.

As for actually controlling games, that very much depends on the kind of game we're talking about, and your experience (obviously).

Shooters, for instance, are horrible with a controller if you compare it with mouse/keyboard. However, most console games are designed with that in mind, so they tend to be lenient and have a measure of "auto-aim" - so I've found that playing singleplayer shooters isn't a problem. The only real problem here is if you're sniping or any kind of long-distance shooting. It's simply not precise enough for me.

However, for driving games or most "arcade" games - the controller is more comfortable. I also tend to prefer using a controller in games with melee combat, because it feels better and they often use vibration to indicate impact and what not.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

September 26th, 2014, 13:35
There is no choice really. Ps4 has won this generation overwhelmingly. Just in the last weeks ps4 destiny sold nine times more than the xboxone version in germany. Overall X1 sells less than wiiu on almost every country in the world except USA where it still selling way less than ps4.

PS4 is the number one console in every country in the world (except japan who like wiiu more) for the coming generation. Think ps2 big.

X1 is worse in almost all ways. Its more expensive, bigger, uglier, heavier, ps4 gpu is 50% better, PS4 has faster memory, X1 has less games, worse graphics, infact there is almost no reason to buy X1 that I can think of. Maybe if you really must get halo X when it releases in distant future.

Microsoft really screwed up this time. So much infact that I doubt if they can recover. They need to release the next generation console as soon as possible. Sony dominates this generation.

Apart from good pc I have ps2, ps3, xbox360, wiiu and vita slim which I bought week ago. All ps4 games can be played remotely with vita allthough Im not getting ps4 until next year. Most if not all good ps4 games are released for pc too so there is no need to get it now. And vita has over 700 games more than enough to play for now. No need for ps4 games yet. Im currently playing final fantasy 7 and borderlands 2 on vita.

Thanks to wiiu gamepad I started to prefer handheld gaming over anything else. Next year Im going to get new 3ds with Xenoblade Chronicles port (best wii rpg). 3DS is the best selling console platform in the whole world.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke
Last edited by zakhal; September 26th, 2014 at 13:51.

zakhal

HomelyRebel

September 26th, 2014, 16:34
PS4 all the way. Sony always seems to have more (and better) exclusive titles on their systems.

JDR13

SasqWatch

September 26th, 2014, 18:27
Even though many probably would be hard pressed to notice the difference it really must hurt Microsoft a lot every time a developer says there game will run 1080p on PS4 while only 900p on XB1.

stealth

Sentinel

September 26th, 2014, 18:45
As a current Xbox 360 owner that has been happy with it I will go PS 4 for sure this time around.

MS annoyed me with the the lockdown they tried to do, with less performance and the Kinect I wasn't interested in. I buy a console to play games, everything else is fluff.

Now if your only going to buy a controller then my 360 one is pretty comfortable.

Toff

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Xbox One v PS4