Quantcast
Do you Prefer Voice Acting or Text in RPGs? - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Polls & Comments » Do you Prefer Voice Acting or Text in RPGs?

View Poll Results - Do you Prefer Voice Acting or Text in RPGs?

Voice Acting 11 14.29%
Text Only 18 23.38%
Both Voice & Text 48 62.34%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Default Do you Prefer Voice Acting or Text in RPGs?

January 19th, 2015, 01:29
Another short poll to see if our members prefer Voice Acting or Text in your RPGs? I know opinions on the topic will differ, but I prefer both if done right.

So vote on the poll and share your opinion below.
--
Check my Google+ page for more news as I update everyday.

"All my flamers & detractors can kiss my behind."

Couchpotato

Retired News Editor

January 19th, 2015, 01:35
I voted for both, but only if I can slip over it fast if by hitting a key on the keyboard if I want too.

Sometimes when it is getting late it is just easier to listen..

CelticFrost

SasqWatch

January 19th, 2015, 01:41
I say text only for 3 reasons

1. Money spent on high profile actors are better spent on game content
2. I usually read faster than they talk, and therefore skip the rest of their lines.
3. It's really bad when not done properly. Example: Oblivion.

And one more thing: In games where there really is no voice acting except for a greeting, the greeting is quite often completely unrelated to the context of the encounter. Example: you're returning the 7 thingies the NPC asked for and he greets you by "why are you disturbing me".

pibbur who is not entirely sure he agrees with everything he said
--
d++a60e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

pibbur who

Number 13
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

January 19th, 2015, 01:49
If it's well done, voice acting can be a nice feature. But it also can limit dialog and choices. So I would choose text for that reason, at least in rpgs, I'd rather have more dialog and choices to pick from, than everything being voiced and limited because of it.

And I'm also old school, in that I like to read. (gasp)

I have noticed the youth often seem to hate to read these days, a great pity (for them).

Arkadia7

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

January 19th, 2015, 01:58
Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
I have noticed the youth often seem to hate to read these days, a great pity (for them).
I was at Chapters Friday night with my 11 year old helping him pick out a new book. I was surprised how many young people were in there on period never mind on a Friday night.

CelticFrost

SasqWatch

January 19th, 2015, 02:07
Originally Posted by CelticFrost View Post
I was at Chapters Friday night with my 11 year old helping him pick out a new book. I was surprised how many young people were in there on period never mind on a Friday night.
That is good to hear. The youth I have observed look upon reading as a chore, they treat it like homework.

And I have watched video games being played on you tube, and very often, the young people will just skip through the dialog without even reading it.

Hopefully, this dislike of reading will change, and more youth will pick it up like in your experience at the book store.

Arkadia7

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

January 19th, 2015, 02:09
It's not important for me - but voiced games usually don't have that much dialogue.
--
The Germans are a cruel race. Their operas last for six hours and they have no word for "fluffy".

Captain Blackadder

Fenris

Proto-Nerd

January 19th, 2015, 02:17
I like having both. I tend to read faster than the voice acting and skip through it a lot, but there are times where I'd rather just sit and listen.

greywolf00

Keeper of the Watch

January 19th, 2015, 03:01
If there are not enough funds, I say don't cut out ideas and designs, cut out VO and keep it text only.
Other than that…
Option #3 from me.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

January 19th, 2015, 04:15
Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
… But it also can limit dialog and choices. So I would choose text for that reason, at least in rpgs, I'd rather have more dialog and choices to pick from, than everything being voiced and limited because of it.
This. Now I've got one more reason for voting text only.

pibbur who can read and sometimes write without typos.
--
d++a60e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

pibbur who

Number 13
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

January 19th, 2015, 05:21
Actually the last option should read Voice and/or Text.

A full voice acted RPG does more easily put you in the world, but the smaller developers should concentrate on game and story first. When their credibility is such that they can get a big development funds, that's when they go for full voice.

Dajjer

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor

January 19th, 2015, 09:35
Both. I love good voice acting, but it gets frustrating if I can't skip it, as I tend to replay games a lot.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

January 19th, 2015, 10:11
I definitely prefer voiced dialogue - though I don't particularly care if my own character is voiced or not.

Subtitles/text is a must, though.

I find "real voices" much more immersive than reading when it comes to dialogue - especially if the game is otherwise going for immersion and world simulation.

If it's a more tactical "bird's eye view" type of game, the voice acting becomes less important to me, because I'm not really playing for total immersion in that case.

On a more general note, I tend to find pure text-driven games overly verbose and often see writers losing their way trying to make an impression. I find that writers who understand the value of focusing on realism and plausible exchanges are rare, and most of them want to demonstrate their ability to use a lot of words in a sentence. Which is fine, I guess, if you're playing to experience the prose itself and not simply a story with interesting characters.

This is probably also why I can have a hard time getting into books - more so than I had in the past. It seems to me that the story often gets kind of lost in the battle of words.

DArtagnan

January 19th, 2015, 10:36
I like having both, for this reason:

If it's well done, voice acting can be a nice feature. But it also can limit dialog and choices.
Best example is BG2 I loved how first lines are usually voiced, but the rest of the lines are just texts. I don't think Irenicus would have been such memorable villain without excellent voice over.
--
BG2 & IWD1 fangirl
BG2: Eowyn & Anomen
IWD: Orhlanna & Korin

purpleblob

Princess

January 19th, 2015, 10:59
I can't really vote.

I like have voice acting, but I don't mind text-only (when - like DA says - writers don't end up writing books and walls of text).

I also think that what Fallout did is a lost art. Picking and choosing a select few interesting characters and giving them voice-over, instead of full voiceover.

I still remember Harold, the mutant with the tree and the old woman protecting the sanctuary who keeps a very condescending attitude towards you.
And who can forget bone in nose man.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Original Sin Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio

January 19th, 2015, 11:17
Well, I think for key moments or key characters, voice is good, but for games with walls of text or such, fully voiced is not worth it from a budget perspective, I usually skip and read ahead instead because voice is slow.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

January 19th, 2015, 12:10
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
Well, I think for key moments or key characters, voice is good, but for games with walls of text or such, fully voiced is not worth it from a budget perspective, I usually skip and read ahead instead because voice is slow.
Yeah, but just having walls of text isn't too good either in my opinion.
It's ok when the situation calls for it, but if it's just there all the time then it's not good.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Original Sin Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio

January 19th, 2015, 12:47
I agree, if I wanted walls of text I'd read a book normally.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

January 19th, 2015, 12:56
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I definitely prefer voiced dialogue - though I don't particularly care if my own character is voiced or not.

Subtitles/text is a must, though.

I find "real voices" much more immersive than reading when it comes to dialogue - especially if the game is otherwise going for immersion and world simulation.

If it's a more tactical "bird's eye view" type of game, the voice acting becomes less important to me, because I'm not really playing for total immersion in that case.

On a more general note, I tend to find pure text-driven games overly verbose and often see writers losing their way trying to make an impression. I find that writers who understand the value of focusing on realism and plausible exchanges are rare, and most of them want to demonstrate their ability to use a lot of words in a sentence. Which is fine, I guess, if you're playing to experience the prose itself and not simply a story with interesting characters.

This is probably also why I can have a hard time getting into books - more so than I had in the past. It seems to me that the story often gets kind of lost in the battle of words.
I was going to write something, but I noticed that I would be repeating DArtagnan. That's it. Except the part about books, those may be verbose, it depends on what you are reading. But walls of text in games, no way. Text only RPGs usually have ridiculously long dialogues. It's unrealistic. So, voice acting, of course (it doesn't have to be really good, just not lousy acting) but always with subtitles.

MigRib

Sentinel

January 19th, 2015, 15:04
I was always perfectly happy with the BG approach - text dialogs, but with bits of recorded VO at key moments to add character.

I would tend to favour text, in part because I like modding. Making quest mods is a much bigger pain if you have to sort out voice actors, and adding or changing scenes with existing characters becomes impossible to do well.

And, in terms of the original game development, you just know that huge chunks of time and budget are swallowed up by VO, that might have been better spent.

Ripper

May savage salesmen

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Polls & Comments » Do you Prefer Voice Acting or Text in RPGs?