|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dawn of Magic - Character Morphing Press Release

Default Dawn of Magic - Character Morphing Press Release

March 8th, 2007, 15:18
Deep Silver has sent out a press release on the "character morphing" system in Dawn of Magic (Blood Magic, The Bloody Magic):
Basingstoke, 6th March 2007 – Dawn of Magic holds a lot of surprises and unexpected turns in store for its players. One of them is the extensive character morphing system, which gradually adapts each avatar's appearance to the acquired skills and the spells the player has employed.

Thus, a mage dealing with Earth Magic will sprout twigs from his shoulders later in the game, until he ends up looking like a walking tree. A wizard who uses Lightning spells, on the other hand, may turn into a crackling metal suit of armor showering all around him with sparks. In extreme cases, sorcerers may even grow the legs of a spider or the wings of an angel. These effects can be combined in many different ways and not only have visual results, but also directly affect the game, bringing with them bonuses and penalties specific to certain spells. A magician who is experienced only in dealing with electricity may have an advantage when it comes to Air Magic, but his resistance to Water Magic will be low. This sort of interplay is abundant in the game, and guarantees numerous possible game combinations.

More details on the game can be found at http://dom.deepsilver.com.

Dawn of Magic is scheduled for release in the first quarter of 2007.
You can check out the 62 screens accompanying the release at Worthplaying.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 8th, 2007, 15:18
Definitely sounds "innovative," but also slightly goofy.
I like the idea of playstyle impacting the game, but if twigs are going to grow out of my shoulders, it's going to make it difficult to get in and out of my +3 mage robes. And what about fire mages? Bursting into flames at the local inn could be awkward.

No doubt I'm oversimplifying. At least they're trying a different approach.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch

March 8th, 2007, 15:49
I kinda agree with this. I really don't want my beautimous mage chick to become a twiggy monster. I want her to stay the luscious babe I originally created I don't fantasize about trees!

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

March 8th, 2007, 16:08
I think it is very interesting and can't wait to see how it plays out. It is sort of like in KotOR where your appearance reflected your Force alignment and Fable where you could start to glow and charm people on sight with your goodness.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

March 8th, 2007, 18:08
In principle a nice idea (not so new, though, Fable did it already), but subtlety would have been a virtue, IMHO.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

March 8th, 2007, 23:28
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
It is sort of like in KotOR where your appearance reflected your Force alignment and Fable where you could start to glow and charm people on sight with your goodness.
America's next model ?

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dawn of Magic - Character Morphing Press Release