|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature: Dishonored First Looks

Default RPGWatch Feature: Dishonored First Looks

August 29th, 2011, 14:11
At Gamescom we had the opportunity to check out Arkane's latest game, Dishonored. Here's an excerpt from Myrthos' preview, discussing a quest to kill a lawyer:
Once you arrive at the house of the lawyer there is nothing holding you back from going through the front door and shooting and killing your way to the lawyer, but you might also consider there are less deadly ways to enter that building. Like from the sewers, from one of the other sides of the house - or the rooftop. Each entry point has its own advantages but might also have disadvantages. You can use your superjump or teleport powers to travel over the rooftops. Sneak around to avoid the guards and pickpocket one of them for the key to the lawyer’s room. Then, you could peek through the keyhole and quietly open the door, freeze time, sprint to the lawyer, unfreeze time, kill him and jump out of the window. Or you could just assassinate the guard, take the key, open the door and shoot, maim and kill everybody in the room. And for those with a more pacifist nature there is also the option not to kill him if that is more fitting to your style.
Read it all here.
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

August 29th, 2011, 14:11
The preview makes the gameplay sound potentially great, and the visuals definitely have a lot of style. It does sound very interesting indeed.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

August 29th, 2011, 14:12
Like Larian this studio seems to produce good work; though not so many titles While normally I dislike buyouts (esp via ea) I was actually happy to see Bethesda buyout of arkane because I had hoped they would improve the product (mostly via funding) rather than destroy or streamline the product. Hopefully this will be the case

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor

August 29th, 2011, 14:20
I still don't quite get it what this game is actually about.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 29th, 2011, 14:53
It is about an assassin that has to complete missions in order to advance in the game. There is a large freedom in completing these missions, allowing for different playing styles and potential different outcomes.
This large freedom makes it more difficult to attach a label to the game, so if you are looking for that I can't help you.

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

August 29th, 2011, 15:52
The game is similar to Deus Ex, but with magic and more freedom (the city is all open).

I kind of see this as Deus Ex meet the Elder Scrolls.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

August 29th, 2011, 17:02
Assassinations ? Kind of an "Dishonoured Assasin with a greed" ?

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 29th, 2011, 18:35
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
The game is similar to Deus Ex, but with magic and more freedom (the city is all open).

I kind of see this as Deus Ex meet the Elder Scrolls.
sweet mother of god!

Vagrant

The Wanderer

August 29th, 2011, 18:59
I imagine it will draw from the strengths of Arkanes previous games like Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah. The stealth aspect of DM was very well done so this game is pretty sure to be awesome.

SirJames

Sentinel

August 29th, 2011, 19:13
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
sweet mother of god!
What? You just ….. ;-)

I too got the deus ex feeling.

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

August 30th, 2011, 00:06
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
This large freedom makes it more difficult to attach a label to the game, so if you are looking for that I can't help you.
That right there is encouraging.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

August 30th, 2011, 00:59
If Dishonored even comes close to being as good as Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I'll be happy.

JDR13

SasqWatch

August 30th, 2011, 02:18
Let's cross… our fingers.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 30th, 2011, 04:09
Visual style looks awesome! I don't think this game is going to appeal to me much though - didn't feel inspired by the lack of story details. I'm a person that always has to have a reason to be doing something, not just doing it for the sake of doing it. I've never been able to get into open world sandbox games because of that.

..& so they take the fiction all out of the Jabberwock & I recognize & accept him as a fact. - Mark Twain, May 30, 1880

Jabberwocky

True Synaesthete

August 30th, 2011, 06:44
theres an article on ign about this game. Apparently you are an ex-bodyguard who is on the run and framed for murder. They also say you can complete the game without killing anyone. Sounds cool.

sakichop

SasqWatch

August 30th, 2011, 10:08
Yes you were the bodyguard of a princess who was murdered and you are framed for it. But from how they mentioned that it didn't appear to be playing a role in the game.

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

August 30th, 2011, 11:39
For those of you that like this kind of game, I think you'll get a great game from Arkane. After I heard of their merger with Bethesda I was really hoping their next game would be Arx Fatalis 2 or a game similar to Arx Fatalis but with an overworld. Ah well, maybe next time.

IT MAKES ME MAD ARKANE STUDIOS HASN'T MADE ARX FATALIS 2

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

August 30th, 2011, 13:40
This is the official game overview taken from the official website:

You are the once-trusted bodyguard of the Empress. Framed for her murder and driven by revenge, you must become an infamous assassin, known only by the disturbing mask that has become your calling card. As you navigate a world torn apart by plague and oppressed by a government armed with strange new technologies, the truth behind your betrayal is as murky as the waters surrounding the city. The choices you make will determine the fate of the world, but no matter what happens your old life is gone forever.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

August 30th, 2011, 22:25
Apparently it is playing a role then

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

August 30th, 2011, 22:51
To me, it still sounds rather like Hitman or like Assassin's Greed.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature: Dishonored First Looks