|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Deep Shadows Games » Boiling Point: Road to Hell (Xenus) » Boiling Point review on Moby games

Default Boiling Point review on Moby games

September 23rd, 2011, 14:45
Thanks for the link Wesp5. Those look like they're mostly just additional missions and such, but I might still give them a try if I take a serious run at Boiling Point.

JDR13

SasqWatch

September 24th, 2011, 13:12
I checked my files for Boiling Point and besides the SDK I have a mod that increases view distance, 2 vegetation texture replacers, and a content mod called Renegade Storm. I can upload if anyone wants them.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

September 24th, 2011, 13:59
Hi guenthar, I'm interested in the view distance and texture mods please.

badmofo

Tired but happy

September 24th, 2011, 14:39
I think you should upload the Renegade Storm mod too, before it dissappears forever…

Wesp5

Unofficial Patcher

September 26th, 2011, 07:22
I am uploading all of the mods I have (including an alternate map mod that I had also) and I am creating a new thread for that. I am going to copy the post linking to the mods Wesp posted over to the new thread for easy access.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

September 30th, 2011, 13:57
The only patch required is the European Retail patch. iirc it was 192 Mb.
Link: http://www.shacknews.com/file/7078/b…il-patch-20-eu
That was about a three hour download for me in 2005, on dial-up!

Don't worry with any of the other patches. Believe me!
The bugs in the unpatched version were pretty hilarious, but not game breakers.
The size of the moon was one bug they fixed…no big deal.
You could destroy the police station with crossbow bolts.
The jaguars used to *fly*, and grannies would attack you with grenades.
I played though once unpatched just for the fun of it. Though I would not recommend it to anyone now. After playing modern games, you have to be a die-hard to play unpatched BP. The MAIN problem unpatched was the driving controls. And as driving is such a major part of BP gameplay, it was very unpleasant.

Renegade Storm MOD by ShadowMoses was the only playable MOD I came across. There was talk of another playable mod back in the day but it was incomplete/buggy/not generally released, at least I never got to play it. But Renegade Storm was almost to the same commercial standard as Boiling Point itself, props to Shadowmoses!

Unfortunately most of the magazine reviews at the time were made on the first released/unpatched/buggy version of BP, which lead to the commercial/marketing failure of the game. By the time the European Retail patch was released, the world had already moved on. Except for people like us, eh?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2007…e-of-the-moon/

Another bit of useless trivia from the old days, some fourteen-year-old discovered that the moon in BP was just a series of jpgs, which he replaced with pictures of naked chicks. The thread where he announced this at xenus-hq.net had the most number of views there, by about twenty thousand!
Similar thing happened at the DeepShadows forum where there was a thread titled something like "Topless Babe" on the White Gold board that 50 000 views, whereas most other threads topped out at about 1 000.

< insert smart comment about nudity in video games>
Last edited by VET; October 1st, 2011 at 02:53.

VET

Witcher

September 30th, 2011, 16:10
Originally Posted by VET View Post
That was about a three hour download for me in 2005, on dial-up!
You were still using dial-up in 2005?

JDR13

SasqWatch

October 1st, 2011, 02:52
I am ten k from the exchange, via ancient copper cable network. Half my neighbours still can't get broadband! I have ADSL 2+ now, but speeds are still barely above dial-up, it is a joke! Still, it is nice living out of the city, at least I don't have whores and drug addicts fighting in my front yard lol.
It typically takes three days to download a 5Gb torrent! But at least we have fresh air, no traffic, no crime.

Oops! I better say something on-topic! Last time I saw BP on sale, it was going for AU$7.99. What a bargain! But I bet none of that made its way back to DeepShadows. Pity they did not do what CD Red Project did with The Witcher 2 - set up their own on-line distribution company so that 100% of revenue went to the devs.

VET

Witcher

October 1st, 2011, 07:28
i assume the devs sold their soul to the devil (Atari) and were not allowed to set up their own on-line distribution channel.

lfc

Traveler

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Deep Shadows Games » Boiling Point: Road to Hell (Xenus) » Boiling Point review on Moby games