|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Skyrim - 360 Achievements Revealed

Default Skyrim - 360 Achievements Revealed

October 5th, 2011, 14:04
The Achievements for Skyrim have been unveiled at Xbox360Achievements - as usual, these can be potentially spoilery, so be warned.
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

October 5th, 2011, 14:04
The story related ones are interesting, especially the "Join the Stormcloaks or the Imperial Army". There is 3 achievements related to that duality. Could it be that Skyrim's storyline is as much about the local politic than fighting dragons?

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

October 5th, 2011, 14:26
Achievements will be one of the first things I mod out when I play Skyrim.

JDR13

SasqWatch

October 5th, 2011, 14:53
I generally like Achievements if they're done right. I don't like them tied to game scores or for them to give bonuses. I just like it when they pop up with a little title and fanfare and then go away. Getting Pacifist feels like a real achievement in Deus Ex, for example. Eschalon Book II did them the wrong way, where your end game score totally depended on which achievements you set out to earn. I thought that was a terrible mechanic.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

October 5th, 2011, 15:04
There are some minor spoilers in there…

I don't really mind achievements unless they are intrusive during game play in a big way.

lostforever

Keeper of the Watch

October 5th, 2011, 17:00
So far there is only one game I really appreciated Achievements, Alpha Protocol. As far as I can tell, in the majority of games 90%+ they are useless as the ones here. Too bad. One can only hope other game companies can/will learn to turn this console bs into something useful.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language…they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

Acleacius

SasqWatch

October 5th, 2011, 17:34
I can't stand useless achievements. I really don't care will some achievement tell me if I did something this or that way - like I don't know it already. Oh, mybe I'm too stupid to know how I did a thing in the game so there MUST be an achievement, and not just one, but unbelievable 360 of them!

Either remove them completely from the game or add some (minor!) bonus to them.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

October 5th, 2011, 17:48
I imagine these will transfer 1 to 1 over to Steam achievements. Apparently with Steam, if you disable the overlay you never see the achievement popups. You still get them but it's transparent to you. Playing in offline mode or with a cheat mode turned on (even if you don't use it) should disable them completely.

Motoki

Keeper of the Watch

October 6th, 2011, 02:38
What's the point of achievements? If you are going to put them in there then give some kind of reward within the game for getting them. Something….anything would make them mildly interesting.

Say what you will about Dungeons, but when it came to achievements they did it right. Each map has certain things you need to do in order to receive bonuses at the end of the map. I really liked that and strived to get all of the bonuses I could.

Or Painkiller. Each map has one type of goal in mind like finding all the secrets or not getting hit or using only a certain weapon. If you do this then you receive a special…..card (spell). I did some maps over and over again just to get that stupid card and when I got it I felt like I really "achieved" something.

They give no motivation at all to get these things other than bragging rights. Who the hell wants to brag about getting achievements in a game?

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

October 6th, 2011, 02:45
I'm pretty indifferent about achievements, but I do find them interesting when they give you something for completeing them. Like in Kings Bounty, if you lit a certain number of enemies on fire you got a bonus to fire damage.

fadedc

Keeper of the Watch

October 6th, 2011, 02:57
I don't tend to like achievements that much. It's kind of a "get your arcade high score measurement notions out of my RPG" feeling for me. However, there have been some exceptions.

I quite liked them in Alpha Protocol and New Vegas, where I think they tended to really assist in the feeling of reactivity in those games.

Of the other few I actually like, one would have to be from Risen:

IDIOT: Fell to death 3 times.

That's telling it like it is PB! Cracked me up when I got it.

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards

October 6th, 2011, 09:45
I do like it that there are apparently 6/7 (with 2 being mutually exclusive) groups you can join - the circle, companions, college of winterhold, theive's guild, dark brotherhood, stormcloaks, and imperial army. I'm also liking the 15 daedric artifacts ahceivement - confirmation for the people worried about whether or not they'd be back this time around.

jhwisner

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Skyrim - 360 Achievements Revealed