|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » MMO's

Default MMO's

January 19th, 2015, 00:11
People like what people like that is a given. For the most part I can get my head around most things when it comes to entertainment. The one thing I can not is RPG MMO's.

What is the attraction to them? I love playing a great RPG game getting lost in the game at my pace. The same with a good book or to a lesser degree a movie.

Though there seems to be no end of these games or companies added this feature on to their up and coming games.

Sure I will play the odd game of NHL or Madden with my boys on their PS4. For awhile back in the late 90's I was into counter strike for a bit.

Anyways maybe I have had to much free time this weekend to play games, read and think which I am not use to.

CelticFrost

Sentinel

January 19th, 2015, 01:51
The primary attraction IMHO is the ability to play with a group of friends. I won't play in PUGS, but I do enjoy playing DDO with the group from here at the Watch. I've played a couple of others briefly with my son, but they are not usually great as an SP experience. May I suggest if you have the time available that you download DDO (it's free), roll up a character on Khyber server, and then get in touch with us here via the Team Corwin thread in OT and then you can play with us and see what fun group play is like.

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
+1:

January 19th, 2015, 03:24
In theory they could grant us the experience of a PnP Group at home at the computer - I loved the few occasions when a RP-Quest-Group got together in WoW. Unfortunatly most of the players wanted either to roleplay or play the game, on german servers it was very unpopular to combine both.

and the Gameplay of MMOs is usually a stupid grind…

The Germans are a cruel race. Their operas last for six hours and they have no word for "fluffy".

Captain Blackadder

Fenris

Proto-Nerd

January 19th, 2015, 03:48
People just want to socialize without having an obligation or responsibility what they'll say.
And MMOs are a great media for that, better than spying social networks.

It's bad to rage at home, insult friends or others caring for in RL.
It should all go online because online… Who cares if someone starts bitching?
I love League of Legends community.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

January 19th, 2015, 04:00
You can experience a deep, engrossing story, atmosphere, and lore with a good MMO. My favorite would be Asheron's Call, and Lord of the Rings: Online. Both of those games you can simply get lost in. Exploring Middle Earth and seeing familiar places, names and faces is a great feeling. Participating in a real economy that fluctuates based on players is amazing fun. Having intensive character customization is a boon. You can do all these things to a very high degree in a good MMO. They offer a lot more content than most single-player games, and you never feel lonely in the world.

I know that was a lot of random ideas and rambling, so I apologize. But I hope you get the idea.

Fluent

The Nameless Hero
RPGWatch Team

January 19th, 2015, 06:19
It's mostly playing with friends for most people, but I really loved coordinating boss fights with large numbers of people. High level progression raiding is it's own unique challenge that isn't duplicated well in other genres.

Usually the stories aren't great when compared to single player games (except maybe SWtoR which is very well written, though linear). There's also a lot of options for a variety of game play.

The main problem is end game is almost always a gear treadmill which gets old quite fast. If you don't enjoy running new characters through the same/similar content all the time it gets old.

greywolf00

Keeper of the Watch

January 19th, 2015, 11:04
Originally Posted by CelticFrost View Post
People like what people like that is a given. For the most part I can get my head around most things when it comes to entertainment. The one thing I can not is RPG MMO's.

What is the attraction to them? I love playing a great RPG game getting lost in the game at my pace. The same with a good book or to a lesser degree a movie.

Though there seems to be no end of these games or companies added this feature on to their up and coming games.

Sure I will play the odd game of NHL or Madden with my boys on their PS4. For awhile back in the late 90's I was into counter strike for a bit.

Anyways maybe I have had to much free time this weekend to play games, read and think which I am not use to.
Personally, the primary thing I enjoy about MMOs is multiplayer coupled with a persistent world.

To me, any fantasy that's shared feels a lot more real than one you experience for yourself only.

That's probably also a big reason I participate on forums, to share my thoughts and experiences related to games.

Playing games alone without the ability to share that experience, somehow, is a lonely feeling at length. Well, it is to me.

MMOs implicitly have a strong cooperative component and they take place in a shared world - and that's the primary appeal.

I do tend to dislike a lot of how developers actually go about making them, but that's not about the concept in itself.

That said, MMOs never went in the direction I originally thought and hoped for. WoW was simply too powerful and had too much of an impact, and the entire genre was sidetracked for the most part.

I'm still hoping that developers will give up trying to appeal to everyone and try to be creative again, without losing the ability to develop with a significant budget.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

+1:

January 19th, 2015, 16:27
I loved MMOs before the WoW clonage started. My best computer playing experiences came when I played Everquest and City of Heroes. First thing I did when I connected was join or form a group and go at it. Working in a team to overcome challenges, that's what it's all about for me. I never played solo, I never PvP, always in a team, most of the times as a support character (cleric in Everquest, controller in City of Heroes, etc). No single player game has come near the fun times I had in those games.

Unfortunately, World of Warcraft changed all that, with their 'play alone until max level then raid the same dungeon over and over to complete the Pink Unicorn armor set' gameplay which almost all MMOs since then have copied.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

January 19th, 2015, 17:18
Yep, for me it's all about overcoming challenges in the game alongside a group of like-minded people/friends. I too haven't had as much fun in games as I did once upon a time in EQ/CoH; unfortunately, it's mostly all about soloing these days in the current MMO game space.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

January 19th, 2015, 19:25
Usually I love to play how I want whenever I want, so I prefer SP RPGs to MMORPGs. But if I can't have an SP RPG in a certain setting (or have already played them all), I might play MMORPGs.
For me, story mode is for going solo, roleplaying is for MP. My real life p&p RPG gamemaster and I, for example, have immense fun playing a duo of SWTOR troopers (he's a DD, I'm a ranged tank) who always wear the same armor (though with different colors) and raid bars to dance with Jedi .

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

Meet my wonderful MX.
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

January 20th, 2015, 19:24
Me, I'm playing SWTOR because it is Star Wars.

However, the game as such rather plays like an Action-RPG with some (in some parts good, in other parts rather bad) story thrown in.

People call this an "theme park MMORPG", and I really wish nowadays I had seen the original "Star Wars Galaxies".

Out from thinking about that I developed the ultimate wish for an offline RPG :
An offline RPG (preferrably singleplayer), half sandbox, half theme park, with the sheer size and scope of an full-blown MMORPG !

That's my dream game !

But that won't happen, because it would bind me for years. And the industry doesn't want that. They want my cash instead.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

January 20th, 2015, 23:47
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Me, I'm playing SWTOR because it is Star Wars.

However, the game as such rather plays like an Action-RPG with some (in some parts good, in other parts rather bad) story thrown in.

People call this an "theme park MMORPG", and I really wish nowadays I had seen the original "Star Wars Galaxies".

Out from thinking about that I developed the ultimate wish for an offline RPG :
An offline RPG (preferrably singleplayer), half sandbox, half theme park, with the sheer size and scope of an full-blown MMORPG !

That's my dream game !

But that won't happen, because it would bind me for years. And the industry doesn't want that. They want my cash instead.
I've heard there is a project somewhere where you can play Star Wars Galaxies as it was originally conceived. Let me Google that real quick… http://www.swgemu.com

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » MMO's