|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What are you reading ?

Default What are you reading ?

June 1st, 2010, 17:58
My only disappointment so far w/ the Horus Heresy series is not so much that it's essentially the same story being told repeatedly from different angles. I'm fine w/ that, and I think that it's great how things that happened several books ago significant or otherwise are referenced now and the whole thing weaves together this ornate tapestry of a tale. It's a captivating story, and one of the only book series that i find hard to put down once I pick it up.

Unfortunately, my brief peeks into the future (10 novels forward) still dont portray THE pivotal event itself - that is the Emperor vs Horus cage match, happening anytime soon. I know that I'm being impatient, but come on! I'm dying to read about it already!

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

June 1st, 2010, 19:21
I'm reading a set of books by Sharon Shinn. They're basically light fantasies with a romance as the background of all the books. Nothing too spectacular, but fine for a summer's evening. You're not going to be thinking about these books much after you finish them. The magic users typically have one or two skills and they're being oppressed by a religious cult that abhors magic.

This would be a good series for a beginning reader of fantasy. They'd be fine for teen age audiences, especially females. There are no descriptive sex acts. Lots of political machinations.

First book-Mystic is a fire sorceress noble, with a commoner love interest.
2nd book-Mystic is a shape-changer who's attracted to a married noble.
3rd book-Royal Guard interested in a novice of the religious sect.
4th book-commoner mystic with empath powers romancing the heir to the throne.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I enjoy a little romance with my fantasy Not really into the kinky Terry Goodkind-type stuff though!

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

June 2nd, 2010, 15:29
Just finished Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, since everybody in the world 'cept me seems to have read it, and there's a game coming up based on it. Wasn't as impressed with it as some people, but it had its merits here and there.

I'll probably read Homonids by Robert Sawyer next.

Charles Stross's "The Atrocity Archives", mentioned higher up in the thread, sounds interesting. Will have a look into it.

RivianWitch

Keeper of the Watch

June 2nd, 2010, 23:17
You probably need to read the entire Ender series. Card is a bit preachy, but he does write some good stuff!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

June 3rd, 2010, 01:54
I just finished Dragons of the Dwarven Depths, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Basically, it fills in the gaps left by the original Chronicles. I'm starting Dragons of the Highlord Skies next.

It was the night before Hogswatch…

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe

azraelck

Me Grimlock

Send a message via AIM to azraelck Send a message via MSN to azraelck Send a message via Yahoo to azraelck Send a message via Skype™ to azraelck

June 3rd, 2010, 02:38
My condolences; I find Weiss and Hickman almost unreadable!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

RPGWatch Team

June 3rd, 2010, 03:49
I actually enjoyed the original Chronicles and Legends series. This one is written with too much knowledge of whats coming, and far far too much blatant foreshadowing. I hated the retcon War of Souls. And I didn't like the Deathgate books, or anything else they've written together.

It was the night before Hogswatch…

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe

azraelck

Me Grimlock

Send a message via AIM to azraelck Send a message via MSN to azraelck Send a message via Yahoo to azraelck Send a message via Skype™ to azraelck

June 3rd, 2010, 14:24
Travelling tomorrow due to a meeting in another city. Figured I could use some light-weight stuff that I'd be able to get through during a few flights (+ the mandatory waiting), so I decided to pick up Salvatore - The Ghost King, currently the final book of the Drizzt series.

Honestly, it sounds a bit over the top for me (especially the Ghost King entity, read a quick description of it), but the rest of the series is pretty decent - great for short reads where you want a beginning/end within a reasonable timeframe (i.e a brick of a book is too much).

If anyone is interested, I'll let you know what I think. I assume most here have either read it, or read enough Drizzt to realize they just don't like the series.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

June 3rd, 2010, 21:14
I'm thinking of buying the Chronicles series - the Legend series was OK by me. I am really at a bit of a loss for finding a new read. I can usually find new Sci Fi authors to followup on after reading an anthology like this, so I may go that route…

http://www.amazon.com/Years-Best-Sci…/dp/0312608985

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

June 5th, 2010, 18:11
The Ghost King was good, one of the better in the Drizzt series. If you like the series, you'll like the book. Otherwise, you won't. It's that simple really.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

June 5th, 2010, 20:04
I've read a few of the Drizzt series and the also the Cleric Quintet, and liked them, so I just may look into that.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

June 6th, 2010, 16:49
Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
Currently working on "Whitechapel Gods" by SM Peters. Steampunk stuff. Not really sucking me in as of the halfway point. We'll see if it gets better. Admittedly, I'm not all that into steampunk, but wanted to give it a swing.
Didn't really get better. Fans of steampunk might very well like like it a fair bit, but this book just wasn't for me.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

June 6th, 2010, 19:42
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
You probably need to read the entire Ender series. Card is a bit preachy, but he does write some good stuff!!
Will do - I've tracked them down at my local library (safer than buying, if you're not sure) but that's for later, I have Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson and The Historian by Kostova lined up before that.
Oh, and Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson.

I cannot make up my mind if I like Salvatore, btw..

RivianWitch

Keeper of the Watch

June 7th, 2010, 19:01
Salvatore… A bit too ponderous and introspective at times. When the action is up, though, he's very entertaining.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

June 7th, 2010, 20:43
Mary Wollstonecraft, A Vindication of the Rights of Woman.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

June 7th, 2010, 21:44
Originally Posted by RivianWitch View Post
Just finished Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, since everybody in the world 'cept me seems to have read it, and there's a game coming up based on it. Wasn't as impressed with it as some people, but it had its merits here and there.
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
If you didn't care for Ender's Game, I wouldn't bother with the rest. It's clearly the best of the series; Speaker for the Dead is still pretty good, but from there on out it goes downhill fast.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

June 7th, 2010, 23:54
I'd second that.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

June 8th, 2010, 02:54
Half way through the latest from Feist, 'At the Gates of Darkness'. Enjoyable easy read in the same vein as most of his later efforts. Perhaps not quite as dark so far.

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

RPGWatch Team

June 10th, 2010, 11:31
Originally Posted by Prime Junta View Post
If you didn't care for Ender's Game, I wouldn't bother with the rest. It's clearly the best of the series; Speaker for the Dead is still pretty good, but from there on out it goes downhill fast.
Thanks for the warning. I did actually enjoy the tension and the parts that dealt with how Ender would manage to cope with what was being thrown his way, but i found the parts dealing with his brother and sister a bit silly and far-fetched.

Since I'm rather curious to see how the "speaker for the dead" aspect is handled, i'll borrow that one from the library. (At some unspecified time in the future) .

I finished "The Reader" by Bernhard Schlink, some time back, and just now saw the movie as well, and now I feel that some of the book was left out in the movie.

I reckon it's inevitable that parts of a book will be changed and/or left out in the movie based on it, so I was wondering if it would work out better if one saw a movie first and only afterwards read the book…?

RivianWitch

Keeper of the Watch

June 11th, 2010, 14:31
I'm currently reading "The Turn of the Screw" by Henry James.
I wanted to read it since a few years ago when I somehow got my hands on a version of it which was so badly translated that I couldn't stand reading more than a few pages.
So now thanks to Project Gutemberg (which made the 300 euros I spent for my e-reader totally worth it) I'm finally reading it in its original english… and, even though it's comparatively short, it gives me a bit of a hard time due to the author's somewhat complicated style. If nothing else it's certainly good language practice!

"I am not interested in good; I am interested in new, even if this includes the possibility of it's being evil"
(LaMonte Young, 1962)

holeraw

V.G.A.

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What are you reading ?