|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What are you reading ?

Default What are you reading ?

September 22nd, 2012, 22:22
Rereading The Passage to get ready for The Twelve, next month. Great start to a series, and I hope it gets even better!!

-Carn

Carnifex

SasqWatch

September 23rd, 2012, 13:17
Is this D&D ? Because I know The Twelve only from DDO …

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

September 24th, 2012, 00:07
No, it's a relatively new series, the author is Justin Cronin. I believe The Passage came out about 2 yrs ago.

-Carn

Carnifex

SasqWatch

October 13th, 2012, 11:05
I'm halfway through Sanderson's Elantris. It's not hard to see the similarities to his later Mistborn Trilogy, but either way it's very entertaining once again and hard to put down.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

October 15th, 2012, 15:04
Finished Elantris. Had to read the last third in one sitting because I simply couldn't stop. Luckily it was Saturday night when I did that. Recommended.

Probably going to pick up Barry Hughart's The Story of the Stone next, which is a follow-up to Bridge of Birds.

There's another series, however, which I have never really read as far as I can recall: David Eddings' The Belgariad (and the Malloreon). I might have tried the first book, Pawn of Prophecy, about 15 years ago, but don't think I ever finished. Anyway: Which reading order would you guys recommend? There are two prequels to the main series, Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress — should I read them before the Belgariad (chronological order) or after the Malloreon (published order)?

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

October 15th, 2012, 15:33
Published order, most definitely. Belgarath and Polgara both work better with a dose of nostalgia since they're not really prequels so much as recaps of the series from a different viewpoint with additional info. They are wonderful books on their own merits, but familiarity with the settings and characters will make them far better.

The Elenium and Tamuli series are also quite good. The Dreamers series was really, really bad. The stand-alone Redemption of Althalus was decent.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

October 16th, 2012, 21:02
Could someone please name books similar to 2001 A Space Odyssey? In know Arthur C. Clarke has a theme with aliens and I plan on reading other books written by him, but except that…?

edit: I am reading Murakami's 1Q84. Great book.

When I was a child, my speech, feelings, and thinking were all those of a child. Now that I'm a man, I have no more use for childish ways.

bloodlover

Sentinel

October 16th, 2012, 21:27
Reading "lies of locke lamora". Good and easy reading. Eagerly waiting new book from Joe Abercrombie. "Red country" i think the name.

akarthis

Sentinel

October 21st, 2012, 17:19
Reading "The Twelve", sequel to "The Passage" br Cronin. So far, it's ok, I was really hoping it would be better. I'm halfway through and hoping it improves!!!

-Carn

Carnifex

SasqWatch

October 29th, 2012, 00:00
Onto "The Terror" now, a semi-historical/fictional account of the Franklin expedition back in circs 1850's. At least it is knocking the taste of "The Twelve" outta my mouth, if you enjoyed "The Passage", DO NOT read the sequel. I found it horrible, with the worse possible outcome as far as he could have taken the story, and the grammar reads like it was done by someone in elementary school. The combined prose is most likely from some toddler, I was really disappointed in the followup.

-Carn

Carnifex

SasqWatch

October 29th, 2012, 20:47
The Hydrogen Sonata - Iain Banks

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor

November 1st, 2012, 10:28
Has anyone read Blindness by José Saramago ?

edit: I finished Murakami's 1Q84. Great book

When I was a child, my speech, feelings, and thinking were all those of a child. Now that I'm a man, I have no more use for childish ways.
Last edited by bloodlover; November 1st, 2012 at 19:06.

bloodlover

Sentinel

November 2nd, 2012, 11:19
"Kalamuqs Schlund", a TDE novel.

Kalamuq is an ancient deity that's nowadays known only to some scholars in Aventuria and jungle tribes.

The female protagonist isn't lovable at all, imho, but the book reads relatively good. A 3+ in German school grades.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

November 6th, 2012, 09:38
Almost finished The Story of the Stone. It's every bit as witty and magnificent as the prequel. It's so full of little, wondrous stories within stories and enchanting adventures. I usually find it a bit hard to get used to the setting and style, but at some point the amazement settles in and doesn't stop.

On another note, it seems Mr. Sanderson has released a new book: The Emperor's Soul. It appears to be a stand-alone novella set in the same world as Elantris, although in a very different region. I'm going to pick this one up next, since Elantris is still so fresh in my memory.

Last edited by Arhu; November 6th, 2012 at 10:06.

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

November 7th, 2012, 07:02
David Byrne - How Music Works. Interesting read so far (80% of way through). Insights into his approaches, music industry in general and role of music in society. Probably helps that I am still a huge Talking Heads fan

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor

November 17th, 2012, 19:40
Finished Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination, one of the classics. Liked it. Basically it's a Sci-Fi version of Alexandre Dumas' excellent The Count of Monte Cristo, which I had watched in TV, and the people in it can "jaunte", which I had watched in the mediocre movie Jumper. So even knowing a lot about the plot and plot elements already, it was a fun ride.

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

November 20th, 2012, 14:08
Just read World War Z by Max Brooks. For those not familiar with the title, it's a collection of interviews following the zombie apocalypse. Interesting take on the genre and for the most part all the stories are compelling. The book examines all aspects of the Zombie War: psychological, sociological, geopolitical. I scoffed at this title for well over a year after my wife read it. But inspired by Season 3 of the Walking Dead I gave it a try and glad I did.

EvilManagedCare

Sentinel

November 21st, 2012, 20:39
Started World War Z last night. Its not bad at all but it is a bit dark. Tho, I can't stand horror movies so it may not bother you.

Toff

Sentinel

November 21st, 2012, 20:47
I'm reading the Aliens comic books

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

November 21st, 2012, 20:52
You know, ever since I got my iPhone, I surf and email during my reading time instead. It's really sort of caused a lifestyle change. Not sure if it's for the better.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What are you reading ?