|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Skyrim - Three Hours of Skyrim Previews

Default Skyrim - Three Hours of Skyrim Previews

October 18th, 2011, 04:25
Last week Bethsoft held a press event where journalists got to play Skyrim for three hours, and a slew of previews have now been released (all X360, by the way). None of the articles reveal much and most of the journalists seemed determined to run off in a random direction, leading to a number of hunting anecdotes but not much insight into the quality of quests. Here are the ones we've spotted so far.
Rock, Paper, Shotgun has two short parts up, starting with The Bad Vegetarian:
I was barely out of character creation (I was playing a female Khajiit, partially because I find the see in the dark racial ability incredibly useful but mostly because I own a female cat) when I saw him. Well, I heard his dog first and thought ‘oh, a dog! How cute!’ Then I saw the dog’s owner, a poacher. I saw his bow raised aloft. I saw the hand released. I saw the arrow fly. I saw the arrow thwack into the side of an already-fleeing fox. And I saw myself, before I entirely knew what I was doing, plunge a knife into Poacher’s back.
Why did I do that, I asked myself, already knowing the answer. I did it because I am a lily-livered, animal rights-supporting vegetarian, and my first experience of this wonderful world being someone being a bit of a dick to an animal was rather distressing. On the other hand, I was impressed that the game featured NPC poachers and animals who were frightened of NPC poachers. Still, this was going to be my world, and I wasn’t go to stand for that kind of thing. It was in my power to make it a better place, and so I would. Take that, poacher. No more poaching for you, poacher. Yes, I was aware of the irony of being a murderer in order to prevent murder. But this appeared to be the only way I could stop him. So, I felt bad about my dark deed, but good that the world was down one rotter.
Part Two is titled Zombie Torturer.
VG247:
Heading through the undergrowth I switch to third-person to get a feel for how this more alien viewpoint fits the game. It’s a view that I return to several times over the period of the three hours, in order to see how those who like their action viewed from above and behind will be served. Happily, the sense of connection with the environment is much improved over Oblivion’s feeling of gliding steps and floaty jumps, though I still can’t imagine wanting to play the entire game this way.
IGN:
While chasing a deer near a river bank, I noticed dragonflies buzzing around my head. I tried to snatch them out of the air, failed, and realized the deer had sprinted entirely out of view. In a nearby waterfall fish jumped from bottom to top, and by standing on a rock in the midst of the rapids I was able to pluck one out. I let the moving water carry me downstream, where I found the deer again, killed it, and watched its corpse float along with the current, bumping into rocks along the way.

You may think this type of thing is pointless, but for me it's the perfect example of why I'm so drawn to Elder Scrolls games. Skyrim feels like a real place, from the way the wind kicks up snow from the edges of rocky cliffs to the way the surface of ponds ripples under a light rain. It's packed with structured content, but also filled with plenty more reasons to explore.
CVG:
The talent trees themselves are represented by gorgeous, swirling constellations in the heavens above Skyrim. Proficiencies are unlocked by lighting different stars within them, and they're shaded according to ability - red for physical combat, blue for magic and green for social and crafting skills.

They're also structured in such a way that cunningly prompts the player to explore their character's potential by offering the chance to specialise in different weapons in a certain class. If you're fond of your two-handed hammer, for example, the corresponding constellation will offer you the chance to expand your two-handed repertoire to include edged weapons, such as swords and battle-axes.
Destructoid:
[quote]
I asked Alvor the blacksmith if he had any work for me to do, and he offered to teach me the smithing sy…More information.
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,968

Default 

October 18th, 2011, 04:25
I haven't read any of the previews posted here (only skimmed through a few), but do these all pertain to the 360 version?

I notice that the Eurogamer article commented "In some ways, the game doesn't look that dramatic a graphical leap forwards from Oblivion", so I'm thinking they were restricted to a 360 preview only.

~Watching since 2007~
Ragnaris is offline

Ragnaris

Ragnaris's Avatar
Watchdog

#2

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: California, USA
Posts: 154

Default 

October 18th, 2011, 05:22
Those articles remind me a lot of the hands-on Oblivion previews when every journalist told us a tale of their adventures and no two stories ever seemed to be the same. To me that's what's truly unique about TES. No other open world game really offers that amount of freedom where you can have dozens of people playing the same game and each one ends up coming up with a unique experience of their own character and what they did first and where they headed first and so on.
That's RPG goodness at its finest and if Skyrim doesn't have any flaws on the level of "Scalinggate" then it ought to be a strong contender for RPG and game of the year awards by the dozen.

Bring it on!
Moriendor is offline

Moriendor

Moriendor's Avatar
Spielkind

#4

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Schland
Posts: 1,988

Default 

October 18th, 2011, 06:02
My god what is Bethesday's marketing budget now?

I remember when they were small….

Is marketing like 50% of their budget now?
Saxon1974 is offline

Saxon1974

Saxon1974's Avatar
Sentinel

#5

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 332

Default 

October 18th, 2011, 06:39
Originally Posted by Ragnaris View Post
I haven't read any of the previews posted here (only skimmed through a few), but do these all pertain to the 360 version?
Unfortunately Yes ~ there has never been a preview or video released for the PC ver yet, other than Todd Howard commenting several times that the PC ver looks much better but refuses to show us.

25 days til release and all Bethesda keeps showing off is the damned XBox 360 ver as-well-as previewing the same content from the video during E3 and still not even a measly screenshot for the PC ver.


Its driving me nuts too! I mean its like yeah I know it'll look better, and be far superior to that of the console versions, especially once the player mods take off,{which usually take a few months before the really good ones appear} but come on, why no PC love!?
Khalus is offline

Khalus

Khalus's Avatar
Whatever…

#6

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 158

Default 

October 18th, 2011, 07:24
Originally Posted by Moriendor View Post
Those articles remind me a lot of the hands-on Oblivion previews when every journalist told us a tale of their adventures and no two stories ever seemed to be the same. To me that's what's truly unique about TES. No other open world game really offers that amount of freedom where you can have dozens of people playing the same game and each one ends up coming up with a unique experience of their own character and what they did first and where they headed first and so on.
Well put. At first, I was disappointed that these previews really didn't have any substance - in terms of having anything that is specific or relevant - but the real strength of The Elder Scrolls is in exactly what these previews inadvertently displayed: Each player's journey is defined by their freedom and becomes entirely unique compared to another player's experience (within the limits of reason, of course). Some might complain about a lack of dialogue quality, memorable characters, a striking storyline, ect., and that's completely understandable; I've always greatly enjoyed RPG's that place a major emphasis on these elements, and I typically prefer such things compared to an open-world. However, an open-world game with an atmosphere that comes with an invitation to simply explore can create its own stories, and Bethesda pulls this off very successfully. So long as the player is willing to invest some imagination into the experience, The Elder Scrolls is a blank canvas waiting for the player to fill with their own tale, and that is why I am looking forward to playing Skyrim, warts and all.
Nerevarine is offline

Nerevarine

Nerevarine's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#7

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 853

Default 

October 18th, 2011, 08:03
Wonder why the Watch never gets a preview? Must be a PC bias!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
Corwin is offline

Corwin

Corwin's Avatar
On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

#8

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,678
Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

Default 

October 18th, 2011, 10:34
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Wonder why the Watch never gets a preview? Must be a PC bias!!
Small potatoes
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#9

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

October 18th, 2011, 10:55
Originally Posted by Nerevarine View Post
Well put. At first, I was disappointed that these previews really didn't have any substance - in terms of having anything that is specific or relevant - but the real strength of The Elder Scrolls is in exactly what these previews inadvertently displayed: Each player's journey is defined by their freedom and becomes entirely unique compared to another player's experience (within the limits of reason, of course). Some might complain about a lack of dialogue quality, memorable characters, a striking storyline, ect., and that's completely understandable; I've always greatly enjoyed RPG's that place a major emphasis on these elements, and I typically prefer such things compared to an open-world. However, an open-world game with an atmosphere that comes with an invitation to simply explore can create its own stories, and Bethesda pulls this off very successfully. So long as the player is willing to invest some imagination into the experience, The Elder Scrolls is a blank canvas waiting for the player to fill with their own tale, and that is why I am looking forward to playing Skyrim, warts and all.
Nerevarine (great nickname btw ), I couldn't find better words. Thank you very much, because you reminded me why I love the TES series: it's not about the story, the characters, etc. as you pointed out, but much more like "how about being this? Or doing that? And if I go there, what happens?". In a certain way, it's the opposite of a 'true' RPG, like Torment, or The Witcher (just to stay in the ARPG genre), where you follow the story of an already defined character: but I admit that I've always enjoyed this type of approach .
And now I'm curious again about Skyrim, and I'll try to enjoy it as I did in the past with Morrowind and OB despite their flaws.
Also, the big plus of the series is modding, which is a sort of meta-game, and I'm sure that even this time we'll have some beatiful story-driven mods by the community .
Ball_Breaker is offline

Ball_Breaker

Ball_Breaker's Avatar
Sentinel

#10

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Europe's Boot
Posts: 341

Default 

October 18th, 2011, 11:29
And so the hype has begun. It hasn't been as bad as Oblivion so far, but the next three weeks are going to get ugly..
Maylander is offline

Maylander

SasqWatch

#11

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen
Posts: 5,677
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

Default 

October 18th, 2011, 11:29
Originally Posted by Saxon1974 View Post
My god what is Bethesday's marketing budget now?

I remember when they were small….

Is marketing like 50% of their budget now?
Flights aside, it doesn't cost that much to set up a bunch of X360s in one room somewhere. Standard demo practise and most publishers do the same.
kalniel is offline

kalniel

SasqWatch

#12

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,877

Default 

October 18th, 2011, 11:42
Originally Posted by Saxon1974 View Post
My god what is Bethesday's marketing budget now?

I remember when they were small….

Is marketing like 50% of their budget now?
Probably more like 10%, but if you consider how big the budget for AAA tiles is these days, thats still a lot of money.

http://www.forbes.com/2006/12/19/ps3…peed=undefined
GhanBuriGhan is offline

GhanBuriGhan

GhanBuriGhan's Avatar
Wose extraordinaire

#13

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,507

Default 

October 18th, 2011, 11:48
Originally Posted by Khalus View Post
Unfortunately Yes ~ there has never been a preview or video released for the PC ver yet

PC Gamer did a quite detailed review based on their experience playing the game on a desktop i7-980x with 7200RPM HDD and NVIDIA GTX 470 at 1680x1050 resolution. (Dec 2011 PCGamer)
CountChocula is offline

CountChocula

CountChocula's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#14

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chocovania
Posts: 1,478

Default 

October 18th, 2011, 12:41
Originally Posted by CountChocula View Post
(Dec 2011 PCGamer)
! We're only half way through October!
kalniel is offline

kalniel

SasqWatch

#15

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,877

Default 

October 18th, 2011, 14:30
11.11. The day when German carnival begins.

Then I'll laugh about Bethesda (indirectly) presenting not many PC previews.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#16

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 16,062

Default 

October 18th, 2011, 15:40
Originally Posted by TheBadVegetarian
I was barely out of character creation (I was playing a female Khajiit, partially because I find the see in the dark racial ability incredibly useful but mostly because I own a female cat) when I saw him. Well, I heard his dog first and thought ‘oh, a dog! How cute!’ Then I saw the dog’s owner, a poacher. I saw his bow raised aloft. I saw the hand released. I saw the arrow fly. I saw the arrow thwack into the side of an already-fleeing fox. And I saw myself, before I entirely knew what I was doing, plunge a knife into Poacher’s back.

Why did I do that, I asked myself
That is one spooky furry.
KapitanUnterhosen is offline

KapitanUnterhosen

Sentinel

#17

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 527

Default 

October 18th, 2011, 15:46
Originally Posted by Moriendor View Post
"Scalinggate"
Haha! I like that one. Kudos to yourself though and Nerev' for eloquently expressing the joys to be found in Bethesda's open world experiences. I'll try to keep a lid on my own enthusiasm for now, but the next few weeks on the Watch are going to be very interesting.

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
Pessimeister is offline

Pessimeister

Pessimeister's Avatar
Living Backwards

#18

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 996

Default 

October 18th, 2011, 16:48
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
And so the hype has begun. It hasn't been as bad as Oblivion so far, but the next three weeks are going to get ugly..
Exactly my thoughts. I'm ashamed their hype still works on me as it'll only lead to disappointment.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.
Kostas is offline

Kostas

Kostas's Avatar
Dormant Watcher

#19

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dear Green Place
Posts: 1,666

Default 

October 18th, 2011, 17:22
I got a kick out of this guy's timeline:

3:57 PM – I’m off to face the dragon outside of Whiterun.

4:02 PM – I find the dragon. He kills me.

4:06 PM – I die to the dragon.

4:09 PM – I die to the dragon.

4:14 PM – I die to the dragon. Demo’s over.

Nice to see that you're not going to easily kill a dragon within 3 hours of starting the game. One guy did kill a small dragon in the demo, by getting it to follow him to an area where the dragon couldn't turn around He used tactics to win a battle that he had no chance of winning otherwise.

'nut
crpgnut is offline

crpgnut

crpgnut's Avatar
Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

#20

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Louis, Mo USA
Posts: 3,977
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Skyrim - Three Hours of Skyrim Previews
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:35.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch