|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » InXile Entertainment - Interview with Fargo on Venture Beat

Default InXile Entertainment - Interview with Fargo on Venture Beat

February 23rd, 2012, 19:58
Venture Beat has an interview with Brian Fargo on crowd-funding and how it may help mid-size developers. A quote from Fargo about this:
InXile has a variety of properties that could use funding and 15 employees. Fargo shopped Wasteland around to publishers, but they were risk averse and really wanted to games that had a chance to rake in $1 billion in sales. If he does the project on his own, Fargo can make the game edgier, with a gritty world full of moral dilemmas for the players. “The game industry has separated itself into the huge blockbuster companies and the independent developers in their garages,” Fargo said. “But it’s pretty hard to be in the middle. Is there any business model left standing for the mid-size developers?”
More information.

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

February 23rd, 2012, 19:58
if he does the project on his own, Fargo can make the game edgier, with a gritty world …
*slaps face* oh no. I can only hope he's putting words in Fargo's mouth here.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

February 23rd, 2012, 20:09
It's way too cold in my garage. I prefer the living room.

Swords and Sorcery - Underworld and Sovereign
OlderBytes.com

Charles-cgr

Sentinel

February 23rd, 2012, 20:18
Gritty….Edgy…..Blah Blah Blah.

I would like to hear a developer passionate about making great tactical TB combat.

quasimodo

Watcher

February 23rd, 2012, 20:44
Can't see the reason for the negativity. He is completyl right if you are a US based company.

European publishers are a different breed, but they are much smaller.

blackcanopus:
Steam is out of question. It's not convenient, it's not easy to use, it's not simple and fast. It's terrible.
"Where STEAM fails, the PHOENIX rises"

Sir_Brennus

Planeswalker

February 23rd, 2012, 21:33
I'm totally agree with Fargo. This business model can be the ultimate savior for middle-sized, independent developers. Maybe this way we can see new PsTs, Wizardrys, Might&Magics, BGs and IWDs or their spritiul successors. Fargo has my full support both morally and financially.

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch

February 23rd, 2012, 21:34
Don't get me wrong I'm all in favor of finding a way to fund games between indie and AAA. If Fargo comes up with a good proposition I'll back it. But gritty and edgy are buzz words much overused by mainstream US developers lately.

quasimodo

Watcher

February 24th, 2012, 07:41
Wasteland, Fallout 1, and 2 ARE gritty and edgy compared to modern games. Murdering children and selling your wife are pretty god damn dark options.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx

PegasusOrgans

Watchdog
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » InXile Entertainment - Interview with Fargo on Venture Beat