|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Daggerfall - Mods and Ends @ RPS

Default Daggerfall - Mods and Ends @ RPS

November 19th, 2011, 10:06
Rock, Paper, Shotgun's Adam Smith writes about running Daggerfall these days with mods or via the XL Engine, which we've discussed before:
Then thereís the XL Engine, which is the main reason for this post if you discount the nostalgic warbling that follows these two paragraphs. If you havenít heard of the XL Engine already, itís a custom-built framework to run old games. Essentially, it totally overhauls them, with all sorts of visual enhancements and improved modding support, so itís almost as if they are being ported onto modern systems. Daggerfall XL is far from finished yet but itís a hugely intriguing project, which is seeing steady progress.
It goes without saying that Daggerfall is never going to look like Skyrim, but the results, even in the current 0.199 version, are impressive. As with so many mods, the work that has gone into this is astounding. The assets for the games arenít publicly available so they have been rebuilt from the ground up. And in Daggerfallís case thatís a lot of ground.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

November 19th, 2011, 10:06
I've been waiting to replay Daggerfall with XL since… forever? I hope this gets done at some point.

When I was a child, my speech, feelings, and thinking were all those of a child. Now that I'm a man, I have no more use for childish ways.

bloodlover

Sentinel

November 19th, 2011, 10:29
Originally Posted by bloodlover View Post
I've been waiting to replay Daggerfall with XL sinceÖ forever?
You and me both, and it's still a long way from being finished. The problem, imo, is that he needs to concentrate on one game at a time so he can actually get something finished.

Didn't know he started working on an XL version of Blood as well. That's an old favorite of mine.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 19th, 2011, 17:16
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
You and me both, and it's still a long way from being finished. The problem, imo, is that he needs to concentrate on one game at a time so he can actually get something finished.
Yeah, when he announced Blood and Outlaws a lot of people were happy but I was like "man, finish a game first and then do more." DaggerXL could literally take 5 years to finish at this point.

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words

November 19th, 2011, 17:26
Never heard of DaggerXL before today, but I think if I ever replay Daggerfall I'll just do the Daggerfall setup that RPS recommended and play it through dosbox.

I've seen a lot of projects like this disappear. People take on too much, get bored and it becomes vaporware.

Anyone remember the dozens of Ultima mods that were being made about….oh 7 or 8 years ago? Most never went anywhere. Some actually did finish them like Lazarus, but most of them (especially the more ambitious ones) never were completed.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

November 20th, 2011, 13:40
I hope it gets finished as well. There has been at least one other attempt at a modern Daggerfall engine, and it was abandoned. I actually bought an old win95 box at a local "pc junk store". It even had an ISA soundblaster! It runs Daggerfall natively far better than my regular desktop using dosbox.

CrazyIrish

Keeper of the Watch

November 20th, 2011, 18:56
I think he will finish it, he has been going a long time and seems very dedicated. It's just taking a really long time because he won't seek help and he keeps adding new goals.

DoctorNarrative

Patroling Written Words

November 20th, 2011, 23:17
oh glot, why bother…

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

November 21st, 2011, 11:11
Actually most of the Ultima remakes got shut down by EA and the only ones they didn't go after were the ones made as mods for other games. A few of those died but many are either done or are still going.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

November 21st, 2011, 12:56
The guy doing Dagger XL seems competent and dedicated, so I am quite hopeful it will eventually be released in actually playable form. However with such projects its generally not much use to "wait" for their conclusion - just enjoy, if it ever gets there.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Daggerfall - Mods and Ends @ RPS