|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Lands of Lore - 1 and 2 Released on GOG

Default Lands of Lore - 1 and 2 Released on GOG

November 16th, 2011, 07:45
Remember Lands of Lore? SveNitoR sends word both 1 and 2 have been released on GOG as a combined package for $5.99.
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

November 16th, 2011, 07:45
Now that takes me back…

(Quickest impulse buy in recent memory btw)

JonNik

SasqWatch

November 16th, 2011, 08:03
I still have my boxed editions for all three games. Great to see GOG putting them up and keeping the banner flying.

Whilst I never did beat the second or third game, I replayed the classic original with all of the main characters. Even my sister got into Lands of Lore and beat it and she wasn't much of an RPG'er. That's how much fun it was.

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards

November 16th, 2011, 08:15
I loved all three (I recall #3 was not very popular but I thought it was amazing for its time). But I never played them more than once.

I got a severe fit of nostalgia after seeing the newsbit (almost strong enough to forgo DE:HR that I have queued for after Skyrim in favor of these).

Only part three is still currently in my possession in its original form. I wonder how easy it is to get it running on my macbook's XP partition…

JonNik

SasqWatch

November 16th, 2011, 09:18
One of the few RPG series I've never played at all. I'll probably pick this up seeing as how they're compatible with Windows 7 64 bit.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 16th, 2011, 10:19
Well, if you think this is cool, then you are probably interested in the fact that ScummVM now supports Lands of Lore 1!

Play LoL1 inside the most comfortable shell you can imagine. The thing I like the most about it is the possibility for me to play LoL 1 (lying on the couch) on my PS2!

http://www.scummvm.org/

blackcanopus:
Steam is out of question. It's not convenient, it's not easy to use, it's not simple and fast. It's terrible.
"Where STEAM fails, the PHOENIX rises"

Sir_Brennus

Planeswalker

November 16th, 2011, 10:33
Ooo! Got the boxes by my computer already, but if they've got them compatible with win 7 x64 I'm tempted.

kalniel

SasqWatch

November 16th, 2011, 12:07
LOL 1 was one of the first fully voiced games I played. It was great.

I remember seeing the box on display over at Software ETC with big bold letters saying that Patrick Stewart was in the game. 10 seconds later I was headed home with it.

Great game. I didn't care too much for the second one, but the first one was a lot of fun.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

November 16th, 2011, 14:02
This was actually my very, very firstt role-playing game on the PC … even before the Realms Of Arcania … I aquired a boxed release two or three years ago in a second hand shop, kind of a flea market in form of a shop.
My original version of Lands Of Lore 1 was from a magazine - when this was an extraordinary thing.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

November 16th, 2011, 16:00
Brick and mortar stores showed their worth in the day. I was just browsing games when the assistant asks if he can help - I explained I what kind of games I liked and he fished out Lol and said I'd like it. He was right

kalniel

SasqWatch

November 16th, 2011, 16:17
Lands of Lore was totally inspirational for me. Loved it, beginning to end. Clever and beautiful.

Michael Dean

Watchdog

November 16th, 2011, 16:54
Land of Lore 1 was like might and magic in that there were grids. One of the weird things you could do was shot an arrow and it would fly to the next grid. If a monster happened to be in the next grid your arrow would get him.

In addition to one of the first RPGs with voice overs (added later btw) it was also one of the first games with weather and it also had monsters that crawled and attacked from ceilings. A lot of great stuff in that game. I too still have the boxes for all three games but I'm tempted to get the Win 7 ready version for 6 bucks.

Dajjer

Keeper of the Watch

November 16th, 2011, 17:09
I think I should just admit reality - I'm gonna buy every RPG GOG.COM puts up, unless I already own a copy. And oftentimes even then. I think there's only a half-dozen on their list that I don't have already.

RampantCoyote

Sentinel

November 16th, 2011, 18:22
Give in to the GoG. You'll never regret it ….you may never actually get to play them all, but it's always nice to know you can at any time. At least that's the way I look at my purchases.

Wish they'd get LoM to work though. When I first played that game I stopped playing that game because my computer was too slow. It took forever and a day for the enemies to do their turn. I'm hoping with this super-uber computer of mine that is no longer a problem. Just need to get it to run

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

November 16th, 2011, 18:48
LOL - Throne of Chaos was my first RPG and fucking ACE! Good mood, pretty dark and hard to solve at some points IMO. Great they released it on GOG because I was too lazy to make it run on my PC by myself (dosbox and all this).

yllaettaevaet

Watchdog

November 16th, 2011, 19:47
Nice, this is one of the old games i can get into.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

November 16th, 2011, 22:07
LoL2 is still not properly supported by any decent glide wrapper. It is an ugly game under software mode.

Dark Savant

Sentinel

November 16th, 2011, 22:52
How can two games from 1993 have 1.8gb? O.o I have not played any RPG's that are as old as these but it seems a little too much space for the time.

When I was a child, my speech, feelings, and thinking were all those of a child. Now that I'm a man, I have no more use for childish ways.

bloodlover

Sentinel

November 16th, 2011, 23:16
Originally Posted by bloodlover View Post
How can two games from 1993 have 1.8gb? O.o I have not played any RPG's that are as old as these but it seems a little too much space for the time.
LoL2 is 1997 so comparable to BG2 (2.3GB, 1999).

Swords and Sorcery - Underworld and Sovereign
OlderBytes.com

Charles-cgr

Sentinel

November 16th, 2011, 23:43
Loved the first, didn't care much for the second so never bought the third!! My old floppies won't fit in my DvD drive, so I might get this!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Lands of Lore - 1 and 2 Released on GOG