|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » EA releases subscription-supported Tetris

Default EA releases subscription-supported Tetris

December 2nd, 2011, 12:37
No, just no:

A new version of Tetris has been released by EA on iOS that offers additional features for those willing to subscribe.

EA’s previous Tetris game has been removed from the Apple App Store.

The new 69p game allows users to sign up for a premium subscription called the ‘Elite Tetris Fan Club’ for either $2.99 a month or $29.99 for the year.

In returns users get access to exclusive content, discounts on DLC and faster in-game levelling.

As well as a new ‘Marathon One Touch Mode’, the game also includes something called the ‘Tetris Log’ – this offers a steady stream of new challenges and a persistent Tetris profile that can be shared amongst devices.

The Market for Computer and Video Games

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

December 2nd, 2011, 12:45
TETRIS? What the… ? DLC on a tetris game?

This is confusing.

When I was a child, my speech, feelings, and thinking were all those of a child. Now that I'm a man, I have no more use for childish ways.

bloodlover

Sentinel

December 2nd, 2011, 13:41
Mini-Transactions. The new way to make money. That's why they bought PopCap et. al. before.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

December 2nd, 2011, 16:20
This isn't mini-transactions. This is flat out subscription based gaming. It's even a horrible subscription based scheme since it only offers one game. At least Big Fish let's you play a bunch of different games if you subscribe……I think they do in any case. My mom is always using them. But this…this is just fracken weird.

What were they smoking when they thought this up and where can I get me some of that?

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

December 2nd, 2011, 16:48
"EA. Sanity is for chumps."

I expected something stupid from their buyout of PopCap, but this outdoes my imagination.

Menigal

Keeper of the Watch

December 2nd, 2011, 17:45
*hrmp* This looks like an excellent opportunity to announce my subscription-based Tetris game! After being completed 10 years ago during the golden age of DHTML, it is finally ready for release! Featuring among other things: a scoreboard, shaking screen (the more blocks cleared, the bigger the shakes!), and a reset button! All this directly in your webbrowser using only certified html, css, and javascript!
Attached Files
File Type: zip tetris.zip (83.3 KB, 3 views)

hishadow

Level N+1

December 3rd, 2011, 09:53
Faster in game levelling? How the heck do you level up in Tetris in the first place?

Fnord

Keeper of the Watch

December 3rd, 2011, 14:11
… Good question. I never knew there were levels in it at all.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » EA releases subscription-supported Tetris