|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » BioWare - Latest Game: Command & Conquer Generals 2

Default BioWare - Latest Game: Command & Conquer Generals 2

December 11th, 2011, 12:42
Not even vaguely RPG-related but we've tracked BioWare for the better part of 10 years, so we'll cover this latest announcement this once before moving on.
As promised, the latest "BioWare" game has been revealed at the VGAs: Command & Conquer Generals 2 - you can watch the debut trailer at Gametrailers. The development comes from a studio called Victory Games - freshly re-named BioWare Victory, so this isn't a BioWare-developed game beyond the new label - though RPG fans might be interested to know Jon Van Canegham (New World Computing, Might & Magic) heads up BioWare Victory.
Presumably EA thinks the BioWare label will add credence (or they think the RPG and RTS genres should be grouped together).
More information.
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,964

Default 

December 11th, 2011, 12:42
I know why they put Jon Van Canegham as the head of Victory and that is because they don't know the difference between a game like King's Bounty or Heroes of Might & Magic and and RTS like Command & Conquer. It would be better if they put him in control of making their RPG's and then maybe (if they game him enough control) they would actually release some good RPG's again.
guenthar is offline

guenthar

SasqWatch

#2

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,541
Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

Default 

December 11th, 2011, 13:08
EA reminds me of a headless chicken, aimlessly running around.
Ilkeros is offline

Ilkeros

Ilkeros's Avatar
Traveler

#3

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7

Default 

December 11th, 2011, 13:47
Bioware might be a brand name, sure. But only for role playing games. ( or games that are marketed as RPGs at least. ) Who's going to buy a RTS C&C title because it's labeled under Bioware's name anyway? I have this feeling that worldwide, C&C is a more well-know name than Bioware. Some totally non-gamers I know are familiar with this franchise and played at least one game from it. ( Mostly the original Generals. ) So it's kinda weird they use Bioware's name to promote the game.
Frozen Fireball is offline

Frozen Fireball

Frozen Fireball's Avatar
Trying to unfreeze

#4

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Iran
Posts: 196

Default 

December 11th, 2011, 15:23
Originally Posted by Frozen Fireball View Post
Who's going to buy a RTS C&C title because it's labeled under Bioware's name anyway?
Blind fanboys. Especially the younger members of the flock who don't know what they want in a game to begin with.

The only good part about this is Jon Van Canegham's attachment… but, honestly, what the hell is he doing in a C&C game?! This is all becoming one big cliche` EA joke.
Drithius is offline

Drithius

Drithius's Avatar
Misbegotten Alien

#5

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 2,348

Default 

December 11th, 2011, 15:24
Originally Posted by Frozen Fireball View Post
Bioware might be a brand name, sure. But only for role playing games. ( or games that are marketed as RPGs at least. ) Who's going to buy a RTS C&C title because it's labeled under Bioware's name anyway? I have this feeling that worldwide, C&C is a more well-know name than Bioware. Some totally non-gamers I know are familiar with this franchise and played at least one game from it. ( Mostly the original Generals. ) So it's kinda weird they use Bioware's name to promote the game.
Because Dragon Age and Mass Effect are better known than C&C, as is Baldur's Gate and Knight of the Old Republic. So suddenly you have the RTS name recognition from C&C, the RPG element of past Bioware games, and … profit?

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#6

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,326

Default 

December 11th, 2011, 15:29
Originally Posted by Ilkeros View Post
EA reminds me of a headless chicken, aimlessly running around.
It's not. I'm unsure if it's EA's doing or Bioware decided solely, but it seems that with each new move Bioware is more and more sucking up to players on aged consoles.
Good luck to them.
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#7

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,595

Default 

December 11th, 2011, 16:03
Today "Bioware" is what EA uses as less bad name

I would not be suprised that very soon they announce that EA is changing name to Bioware
Last edited by Twotricks; December 11th, 2011 at 16:25.
Twotricks is offline

Twotricks

Sentinel

#8

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 481

Default 

December 11th, 2011, 16:37
They paid lots for the name so of course they will "use it" as long as it has value.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke
zakhal is online now

zakhal

zakhal's Avatar
HomelyRebel

#9

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Europa Universalis
Posts: 2,968

Default 

December 11th, 2011, 16:42
Originally Posted by Twotricks View Post
Today "Bioware" is what EA uses as less bad name

I would not be suprised that very soon they announce that EA is changing name to Bioware
More like a shared name, like Activision-Blizzard, so that would make it
EA-Bioware.

Well, Riticello (sp?) used to be the head of Biowares co-op with Pandemic (through the fund Elevation Partners).

With companies like EA it seems entirely up to management what happens to a studios name. At one point they like 'individual' studio names (Westwood Studios, Bullfrog etc.). The next moment every studio is rebranded into EA Whatever. Now with Bioware it seems they are going for an in-between. Instead of renaming acquired studios "EA Whatever", it's gonna be "Bioware Whatever".

That is untill a change of management happens and the new management gets different ideas in their heads.
JuliusMagnus is offline

JuliusMagnus

Indulgent Wastrel

#10

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 400

Default 

December 11th, 2011, 16:43
It. Is. Not. Sports. It. Is. Not. Shooter. It. Must. Be. A. Role. Playing. Game. With. Statistics. Do. Not. The. Little. Tank. Things. Have. Statistics? Why. Yes. They. Do. So. We. Must. Group. It. With. The. Other. Role. Playing. Games. Yes. We. Must.


Also: http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20111207
Bedwyr is offline

Bedwyr

Sentinel

#11

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 298

Default 

December 11th, 2011, 16:45
Originally Posted by Bedwyr View Post
It. Is. Not. Sports. It. Is. Not. Shooter. It. Must. Be. A. Role. Playing. Game. With. Statistics. Do. Not. The. Little. Tank. Things. Have. Statistics? Why. Yes. They. Do. So. We. Must. Group. It. With. The. Other. Role. Playing. Games. Yes. We. Must.


Also: http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20111207
I loved that comic this week …

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#12

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,326

Default 

December 11th, 2011, 17:07
Originally Posted by JuliusMagnus View Post
More like a shared name, like Activision-Blizzard, so that would make it
EA-Bioware.

Well, Riticello (sp?) used to be the head of Biowares co-op with Pandemic (through the fund Elevation Partners).

With companies like EA it seems entirely up to management what happens to a studios name. At one point they like 'individual' studio names (Westwood Studios, Bullfrog etc.). The next moment every studio is rebranded into EA Whatever. Now with Bioware it seems they are going for an in-between. Instead of renaming acquired studios "EA Whatever", it's gonna be "Bioware Whatever".

That is untill a change of management happens and the new management gets different ideas in their heads.
They are not going to use EA anymore. Thats the point.

EA became associated with BAD

Bioware, people not following gaming , dont even know where and what they are now. They only remember the good things done when Bioware was independent canadian studio
Twotricks is offline

Twotricks

Sentinel

#13

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 481

Default 

December 11th, 2011, 18:42
Just using the name 'bioware' got the game posted on this site for free. EA score.
kalniel is offline

kalniel

SasqWatch

#14

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,877

Default 

December 11th, 2011, 18:44
I'll copy what I said on the other topic.

They basically just renamed Victory Games as Bioware (we've know for a while they would be handling C&C), and presented their work as a Bioware game. That is just dumb. I just don't get the logic. I can somewhat see the logic behind making Bioware a RPG Brand (hence Bioware Mythic and such)… but C&C does not belong there.

That say while I'm not presuming anything about Victory Games' quality (it's lead by Jon Van Caneghem after all), I'm totally uninteressed - I hate C&C Generals.

-Sergorn
Sergorn is offline

Sergorn

Watchdog

#15

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 205

Default 

December 11th, 2011, 19:03
After what EA did to Origin and Westwood nobody here should be shocked or surprised by what is happening to Bioware.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch

#16

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,935

Default 

December 11th, 2011, 19:09
But nothing is "happening" to the Bioware itself - they're just using the Bioware label everywhere against all logic.

-Sergorn
Sergorn is offline

Sergorn

Watchdog

#17

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 205

Default 

December 11th, 2011, 19:15
Heh funny thing, but I'm not shocked about this latest Bioware drama. Something like this was expected to happen sooner or later. Good whoring EA

Also: http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20111207
Great comic
Dez is offline

Dez

Dez's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#18

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,110

Default 

December 11th, 2011, 19:16
Originally Posted by Sergorn View Post
But nothing is "happening" to the Bioware itself - they're just using the Bioware label everywhere against all logic.

-Sergorn
If you think "nothing is happening to Bioware itself " … you haven't been following the last several years …

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#19

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,326

Default 

December 11th, 2011, 19:19
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
If you think "nothing is happening to Bioware itself " you haven't been following the last several years
…or played Dragon Age II.
ChaosTheory is offline

ChaosTheory

Sentinel

#20

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 467
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » BioWare - Latest Game: Command & Conquer Generals 2
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:29.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch