|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Risen 2 - Antigua @ Official Site

Default Risen 2 - Antigua @ Official Site

December 23rd, 2011, 19:08
The news at the Risen 2 site is promoting a page for Antigua, so I assume this is new content at the official site:
Antigua is firmly in the pirate hands. On this picturesque island in the Southern Seas, the pirates have built up a main supply harbour that they use as a base for attacking the Inquisition and unsuspecting trade ships and raiding them for booty. So it’s no wonder that the trade office is the largest building in Antigua.
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 23rd, 2011, 19:08
I'd rather to know about this stuff when I am playing the game. Not before its release. I wish there were more updates about game-play features rather than character and lore give-away. ( Which sometimes turns out to be a semi spoiler. )

Frozen Fireball

Trying to unfreeze

December 23rd, 2011, 23:48
I do find myself very much looking forward to this game. Between Risen 2, KoA, Mass Effect 3, and Skyrim expansions and mods I might end up looking a bit like an albino by the end of 2012.

jhwisner

SasqWatch

December 24th, 2011, 00:49
Originally Posted by Frozen Fireball View Post
I wish there were more updates about game-play features rather than character and lore give-away. ( Which sometimes turns out to be a semi spoiler. )
Well, the latest issue of the German print mag Gamestar has an(other) exclusive Risen 2 preview. The mag will be out next week on 12/28 but as usual subscribers got their copy as early as today. So here's a bit from the German forums (this is someone's snips and summary so there's no guarantee about the accuracy of the info):

- Character development system: XP is used to level up in five talent categories, each of which contains three sub-categories:

1) Blades
- Cut and thrust weapons: Determines the character's strength in fighting with sabres and muskets w/o bayonets
- Piercing weapons: Determines the character's strength in fighting with rapiers and muskets w/ bayonets
- Throwing weapons: Increases the damage of throwing darts and daggers

2) Firearms
- Musket: Increases the accuracy of muskets
- Shotgun: Enhances the damage from shotguns
- Pistols: Determines the accuracy of one-handed pistols and the damage dealt by lead shot pistols

3) Toughness
- Blade Absorption: Increases melee defense
- Bullet-proof: The hero takes less damage from gun fire
- Intimidation: Increases the chance to intimidate someone in a conversation

4) Cunning
- Dirty Tricks: Increases the accuracy and damage of dirty tricks attacks
- Thievery: Increases the chance of success when picking locks and pockets. Both skills first need to be taught by a trainer.
- Silver Tongue: The hero is more likely to persuade someone in a conversation

5) Voodoo
- Black Magic: Determines which enemies may be bewitched via scepters and increases the effects of curses
- Necromancy: Determines the strength of conjured wraiths
- Ritual: Enhances the power of magical potions

Some more random snips:

- Voodoo: You can apparently craft Voodoo dolls and scepters using a variety of resources. Via thought control you can then use these techniques to manipulate other characters, e.g. make them attack each other
- Voodoo dolls work like scrolls (one time use) while scepters are permanent reusable runes
- There are only two factions: The Inquisition and the native Tonka tribe. The latter have close ties to the local pirate boss so this is effectively the pirate faction.
- Not an all new revelation but it has once again been confirmed that you will have a monkey sidekick that can distract enemies and steal stuff for you
- Some criticism in the article is directed at the dated tech. The game is supposed to appear a little behind the times compared to The Witcher 2 and Skyrim.

So… there's some new features info fer ya…

Moriendor

Spielkind

December 24th, 2011, 08:12
"Dankeschön" for the Information.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

December 24th, 2011, 10:06
Thank you very much for the info. That was exactly what I wanted to know about the game.
It's interesting to see they added persuasion to the game. I'm sure it will make the game look different compared to the previous PB titles, because the fact that you always received the same result by choosing a certain dialogue option in those games was one of the notable features ( or limitations ) compared to other prime RPGS like Interplay D&Ds, Fallout 1&2, etc.

Frozen Fireball

Trying to unfreeze

December 24th, 2011, 11:41
Out of curiosity, do we still have to join one faction only in Rise 2 to progress (just like in Risen 1) or can you mix and match or go alone like in the previous Gothic games?

Thanks in advance.

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch

December 24th, 2011, 18:34
5) Voodoo
- Black Magic: Determines which enemies may be bewitched via scepters and increases the effects of curses
- Necromancy: Determines the strength of conjured wraiths
- Ritual: Enhances the power of magical potions
The magical options outlined above seem very limited. One thing I liked about Risen was the range of magic options: light (utility spells), protection, combat boosting/buffs, summons, elemental damage, levitation, beast form transformations (esp Ashbeast!). Excluding alchemy (which is not really voodoo), the possibilities seem quite limited. Levitation in particular added some interesting possibilities for puzzle solving and exploration. I really hope they haven't thrown out everything familiar just to differentiate themselves from 'the competition'.

booboo

Keeper of the Watch

December 24th, 2011, 19:52
Great read, I think this gaming is moving to the front of the herd for me in '12. I keep hearing good things!

-Carn

Carnifex

SasqWatch

December 24th, 2011, 20:39
Sounds pretty good, a concern though since it is not even released yet, is dated visuals. Also, doesn't seem to be a lot of skills?

If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch

December 24th, 2011, 22:40
Magic sounds like a bit of a letdown. Might be the first PB game I do not start as a mage.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

December 25th, 2011, 05:27
The voodoo mechanics sound like a lot of fun! Loving the concept as it is quite a departure from typical fantasy RPG magic.

How long has this game been in development?

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch

December 25th, 2011, 06:43
It seems there just trying to force you to play as a pirate and nothing else. I'm open to new things but the game is taking way to many liberties with the world setting.

First technology somehow advances rapidly and now magic is gone and we have just voodoo. I probably will still play the game Im just disgruntled with the changes the more I hear.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

December 25th, 2011, 07:20
Hopefully those 5 char dev stuffz encompass variety of developing around.
Voodoo thief seems like the most interesting way to go so far .
Uncompromising world design, please.
Last edited by DeepO; December 25th, 2011 at 08:10.

DeepO

deep outside

December 25th, 2011, 12:14
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
It seems there just trying to force you to play as a pirate and nothing else.
Can't agree with this. Summon wraith (instead of summon Fred) is not really a pirate thing, right?

Besides, those things listed up there are subcategories. There is no list of actual skills, and from subcategories we learn there is pickpocket and pick locks, and my favorite: dirty tricks attacks.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Risen 2 - Antigua @ Official Site