|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » XCOM: Enemy Unknown - First Screens and Details

Default XCOM: Enemy Unknown - First Screens and Details

January 9th, 2012, 22:44
I don't know if we'll follow this in the long run but GameInformer has the first screens and some details on the XCOM re-imagining. Head over for three screens and here's a snip from the FAQ-like information:
Is this a remake of the original?
Kind of. Re-imagining is probably a better term. Firaxis' XCOM: Enemy Unknown doesn't directly copy the underlying game systems – for instance, soldiers have different stats than they did in the 1994 original – but the concepts are still here. Players still have to manage multiple resources and threats on a global scale in a seemingly hopeless war against extraterrestrial forces with far better technology and capabilities.
Is this going to be dumbed down for the "wider console audience"?
Firaxis is undeniably streamlining aspects of the game and removing no small amount of micromanagement, but from what I've seen I wouldn't call it "dumbing down" the game so much as getting rid of tedium and uninteresting mechanics. Soldiers still die permanently, fog of war and line of sight are hugely important in combat, and you absolutely can lose the game if you screw up too badly.
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

January 9th, 2012, 22:44
and you absolutely can lose the game if you screw up too badly.
WoW. This is huge news. We may lose. We should thank these guys. I didn't know you could do that in games of current console generation.

blackcanopus

Dark Sun

January 9th, 2012, 23:00
That ingame screenshot looks pretty crappy to me, I'm sorry to say.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

January 9th, 2012, 23:44
Firaxis is undeniably streamlining aspects of the game and removing no small amount of micromanagement, but from what I've seen I wouldn't call it "dumbing down" the game so much as getting rid of tedium and uninteresting mechanics.
Ah yes… I'm sure we haven't seen this before. Also, would be interesting what the "tedium and uninteresting mechanics" are… And of course, if the writer of the article has even played the old games while making such a comment, hehe.

Starwars

Watchdog

January 10th, 2012, 00:23
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
That ingame screenshot looks pretty crappy to me, I'm sorry to say.
I agree. Even by Xbox standards, it looks outdated.

I love how one of the questions asked is "Does it look awesome?"

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 10th, 2012, 00:31
It's been a long time since I played the original X-Com, but I don't remember a lot of micromanagement. I remember that the tactical battles could sometimes get a little tedious when you were just mopping up the last enemy or two but that's about it. Perhaps I'm forgetting something, but I'm usually one of the first to denounce excessive micro.

fadedc

Keeper of the Watch

January 10th, 2012, 01:45
I actually like the look of the game…I wonder if it is all destructable like the first game. That would be pretty cool.

If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch

January 10th, 2012, 04:23
Combat is turn-based. Wow. Didnt expect that. Good news.

Lemonhead

Keeper of the Watch

January 10th, 2012, 04:35
Yes, the phrase "undeniably streamlining" scares the hell out of me these days. Therein lies the rub for me. What parts do they consider tedium? I think my definition of micromanagement differs from the mainstream. Taking some time to gear up and train my people, as well as outfitting the crafts, are what make me feel connected to characters in a game, even if they're just Xcom soldiers that are thankfully named, as well as the game itself.

I was, however, pleased to read this:

"The real-time element of XCOM is confined to the global view, where the player keeps track of known UFOs and abductions going on around the world. Managing research and development at the XCOM organization's secret base can be done at the player's leisure, and all combat is completely turn-based."

Good news there.

Edit: And the game looks just fine to me. Much better than fine. I see hexagonal outlines. Awesome….
Last edited by Capt. Huggy Face; January 10th, 2012 at 04:41. Reason: Parting thought

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

January 10th, 2012, 06:26
Anytime I hear the word "streamlining" in an upcoming game, I cringe. Seems like every new game or sequel uses the dreaded word. It could be good thing or a bad thing but from past experience it's usually a bad thing.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

January 10th, 2012, 09:58
streamlined not dumped down , lol i have listen the same sentence for tens of times and it always mean the second.

the interior screenshot remind me of X2 station interior

Tragos

Otinanist

January 10th, 2012, 15:56
There was a lot of tedious micromanagement in the original XCom. God help you if you forget to reload everyone's rifles *by hand* before you went on a mission.

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator

January 10th, 2012, 16:31
I heard this morning that they've done away with the "time units" mechanic and squaddies now can either make two moves, or a move + action. Like D&D 3.x. That will streamline a lot right there, and I'm not entirely convinced that's a terrible thing. My problem in the original was that there was never enough time units to both pull the pin AND throw the hand grenade in a single turn, and the aliens inevitably targeted the guy holding the live grenade on their turn.

RampantCoyote

Sentinel

January 10th, 2012, 20:04
I liked the Time Units mechanic, and it was certainly not something I felt required micromanaging. On the other hand, I think this system sound good too, so I won't bitch about it.

What I really hope they'll keep is the huge amount of possible things to research, and make all the research worthwhile, so that it's an actual strategic decision to choose which path to follow, and not just a matter of queing everything up. And the Interceptor fights could actually use a bit more action (I never thought the day would come when I ask for more action in a game, but there you have it). Since the battles are tactical turn-based, and the globe view strategic pausable real-time, why not make the interceptions a simulation you can choose to auto-resolve.

Gunning down a huge UFO with only your original machineguns would be fun. But it should only possible with say ten or so Wingmen to sacrifice…

tomasp3n

Watchamacallit?

January 10th, 2012, 20:36
Originally Posted by Starwars View Post
Ah yes… I'm sure we haven't seen this before. Also, would be interesting what the "tedium and uninteresting mechanics" are… And of course, if the writer of the article has even played the old games while making such a comment, hehe.
Exactly my thoughts. With the questions that were asked, I can't help but wonder if the author has even heard of XCom, let alone played it.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

January 10th, 2012, 20:46
I hope they can get rid of the "last alien hiding in the tiny bathroom" hunts.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

January 10th, 2012, 21:03
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I hope they can get rid of the "last alien hiding in the tiny bathroom" hunts.
Yeah, that's actually one of my few gripes with the original. Would be nice to have the same kind of system that JA2 has, when you have real-time until you spot an enemy.

tomasp3n

Watchamacallit?

January 10th, 2012, 23:05
That only happened a a couple times with me in me first and only playthrough. I'm having a hard time remembering anything else that was even remotely tedious. I liked equipping each soldier before each mission. It would be nice if the game remembered what he equipped before, and used it as a default, though.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

January 11th, 2012, 02:58
I could deal with that. It might make moving your squad up as a group much less painful because there wouldn't be so much incentive to move by as little as possible every turn to conserve action points for firing.

Originally Posted by RampantCoyote View Post
I heard this morning that they've done away with the "time units" mechanic and squaddies now can either make two moves, or a move + action. Like D&D 3.x. That will streamline a lot right there, and I'm not entirely convinced that's a terrible thing. My problem in the original was that there was never enough time units to both pull the pin AND throw the hand grenade in a single turn, and the aliens inevitably targeted the guy holding the live grenade on their turn.

fadedc

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » XCOM: Enemy Unknown - First Screens and Details