|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » JA: Back in Action - Tactical Gameplay Trailer

Default JA: Back in Action - Tactical Gameplay Trailer

January 25th, 2012, 01:23
Kalypso sent us a press release announcing a new trailer to show off the Plan & Go tactical system in Jagged Alliance: Back in Action (link at the end of the release):

Jagged Alliance Goes Tactical in New Gameplay Video

Video showcases new ‘Plan & Go’ system of unit control

Bracknell, UK, 24th January, 2012 - Kalypso Media is dropping players into the thick of tactical combat today with the release of a new trailer for Jagged Alliance: Back in Action. In today's video, viewers will learn firsthand how the innovative new "Plan & Go" system works when it comes to managing troops on the battlefield. Along with a new 3D graphics engine, Plan & Go is one of the key new features in Jagged Alliance: Back in Action, and will challenge players to craft the ultimate battlefield strategies as they coordinate actions between mercenaries and mercenary teams, as they fight to free the island of Arulco. Kalypso Media will release Jagged Alliance: Back in Action in the UK on 10th February, 2012 for Windows PC.

- Stream the trailer (Youtube)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-2K8Ca6FpQ
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

January 25th, 2012, 01:23
Wow, im sorry but this looks mind numbingly boring. I like turn based combat, but this is a weird turn-based\ real-time\ super slo-mo mess.

sakichop

SasqWatch

January 25th, 2012, 01:37
Just another attempt at "improving" turn based combat by making it real time.

quasimodo

Watcher

January 25th, 2012, 02:00
Looks quite underwhelming to say the least.

I'm also a little surprised at how dated the visuals look. If they're trying to appeal to a wider audience, as the gameplay changes would indicate, then why not update the graphics a bit more as well?

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 25th, 2012, 05:30
No line of sight = no go for me.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

January 25th, 2012, 05:45
What do you mean, "no line of sight" ?

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

January 25th, 2012, 05:56
No proper line-of-sight restrictions. They're showing all enemies all the time.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

January 25th, 2012, 06:06
Ah, you mean that fog of war thing. FoW was implemented, but they cut it out because it would have slowed the game down more than they were willing to accept.

Line of sight is in while calculating hits. Enemies in the sector are always visible, except for the ones inside buildings. Those are marked red, but it's not clear what they're actually doing.

I have to say I don't really care. Not that important.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

January 25th, 2012, 06:21
To be honest it looks better than I expected as I had very low expectations. The gameplay even looks like it could be fun.

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

January 25th, 2012, 06:28
Well, I'm glad I can't shoot through walls, but I'd rather not be able to see through them either.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

January 25th, 2012, 08:05
I only scanned through the video but there are things that I like such as the simultaneous resolution of combat. Interrupts were still good for turn-based but were still exploitable. Only actual playtime will tell if it works.

I would also prefer line of sight and should be an option even if disabled by default. Night raids just wont be the same when you know where everyone is on the map ahead of time.

Just hoping that modding it isn't a giant pain in the neck as I see it requiring some community love to make it compete against 1.13.

figment

Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » JA: Back in Action - Tactical Gameplay Trailer