|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Diablo - How it Saved the Computer RPG

Default Diablo - How it Saved the Computer RPG

January 25th, 2012, 09:17
Diablo saved the computer RPG genre?
An overrated statement for an overrated game, that's all.

I'm not a noob, I'm just differently skilled.

Ball_Breaker

Sentinel

January 25th, 2012, 10:19
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Drakensang was probably the very, very last non-Indie complex C-RPG.
And why is that? It's just one game made by a small studio that made games primarily for the German market. I guess before Drakensang you thought that NWN2 was the very, very last CRPG?

I'd say that given that there's only been 2 studios in the past 10 years that have made RPG's in that style (BioWare and Obsidian), and both of those have grown too large to make non-AAA games, you'd better give smaller studios a few years before you declare the genre dead forever. After all, there was nothing between 2003 and 2006 either (ToEE -> NWN2).

TheSisko

Watchdog

January 25th, 2012, 11:13
Wait what? Diablo RPG? haha. I always considered it to be a hack n'slash and nothing more.

When I was a child, my speech, feelings, and thinking were all those of a child. Now that I'm a man, I have no more use for childish ways.

bloodlover

Sentinel

January 25th, 2012, 11:28
Diablo never saved RPGs - it created a new genre (or sub genre), hack'n slash. Every game inspired by Diablo is extremely easy to identify, and follow the exact same recipe (Titan Quest, Sacred, etc).

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

January 25th, 2012, 12:13
Originally Posted by TheSisko View Post
I guess before Drakensang you thought that NWN2 was the very, very last CRPG?
NWN2 -> 2006
DRASA1 -> 2008
DRASA2 2 -> 2010

Okay, you are right in so far that DRakensang 2 was onl 2 years after NWN2.
Drakensang 2 was 4 years after NWN2, and this is the game I actually had meant with saying "the very, very las old school RPG".

Besides, you are twisting my own quote . I was NOT saying this :

the very, very last CRPG?
But INSTEAD I was saying this :

the very, very last non-Indie complex C-RPG.
Please note that I used the word "complex".

And with "complex" I mean the variety of skills, talents and overall means of character progression present in both Drakensang games.

Yes, you are right, NWN2 has it, too. But it was released BEFORE both Drakensang games.
I did use the wod "last" in my quote, you know ?!

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

January 25th, 2012, 12:24
NWN2 -> 2006
DRASA1 -> 2008
DRASA2 2 -> 2010

Okay, you are right in so far that DRakensang 2 was onl 2 years after NWN2.
Drakensang 2 was 4 years after NWN2, and this is the game I actually had meant with saying "the very, very las old school RPG".
I was just pointing out that, considering the low amount of such games during the past 10 years, you should perhaps wait a few more years before declaring the latest release as "the very very last ever". Or did you just mean it's the "latest" one, as in released most recently?

TheSisko

Watchdog

January 25th, 2012, 14:27
And while we are on the topic I would say that if anything "saved" the computer RPG and spawned a sort of renaissance after a period of staleness, that would be the early infinity Engine games starting with BG actually…

JonNik

SasqWatch

January 25th, 2012, 14:47
created the action rpg genre, maybe.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language…they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

Acleacius

SasqWatch

January 25th, 2012, 15:23
Baldur's Gate was the true savior of the genre, in my opinion. I've never finished BG, mostly because I'm not a big fan of Minsc, Jaheira, etc. Crpgs were getting fewer and fewer releases before BG reinvigorated the market. Diablo and MMO's killed our niche genre and turned it into something lesser for the unwashed masses.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

January 25th, 2012, 15:27
I would put Diablo in the 'roguelike' category. It was a good game, though.

Sir Markus

Keeper of the Watch

January 25th, 2012, 15:29
I'm curious as to where TES modding will take us. We've seen with Nehrim that you can use Bethesda's construction sets to make very deep games. Supposedly, the new creation kit is even more powerful and you've got a team already assembled that will attempt to make a full-blown game with it. Will this be the next big thing? It's already massively huge, but if somebody can earn a living making games with Bethesda's kit, then that might be the next evolution of the genre. Whether this is for better or worse remains to be seen. I loved aspects of Nehrim (dungeon design/world design) immensely and I really like FNV too. Imagine if SureAI had made a few million off their game…..

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

January 25th, 2012, 15:34
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Baldur's Gate was the true savior of the genre, in my opinion. I've never finished BG, mostly because I'm not a big fan of Minsc, Jaheira, etc. Crpgs were getting fewer and fewer releases before BG reinvigorated the market. Diablo and MMO's killed our niche genre and turned it into something lesser for the unwashed masses.
I agree completely about Baldur's Gate. Betrayal at Krondor was another game from that period that made an impact, IMO.

Sir Markus

Keeper of the Watch

January 25th, 2012, 18:26
I was just pointing out that, considering the low amount of such games during the past 10 years, you should perhaps wait a few more years before declaring the latest release as "the very very last ever". Or did you just mean it's the "latest" one, as in released most recently?
Well, looking at how the RPG genre has evolved within the last years, I personally find a lesser and lesser probability (spelling ?) that complex games will come out in the future.

Mass Accessibility (MA or ME ?) is the direction where this game genre is turning towards nowadays. And more and more action-oriented gameplay.

I just see it as a matter of probabilities. The probability of actio RPGs is very, very high nowadays, of "RPG Llight" also, and the more complex the game is, the smaller the probbility of it being produced and mrketed is, in my eyes.

It's like cloning : Everyone saw how Blizzard's games sold - and many tried to repeat that Mass Success (MA = ME = MS).

I have the impression that nowadays Bioware tries to go this route : compolex -> accessible/action
And others try this route : action -> complex

Bot no-one realy tries to do a complex game alone. It is lways tampered with action/accessibility.

Besides, my use of the word "accessibility" doesn't mean that I find accessibility alone a bad thing. (Example : Blade Of Destiny compared to Startrail.)
What I find bad is when *everything* is sacrified for it -> aka "dumbing down" a game.

Whereas the term "to dumb a game don" can both be applied to accessibility and/or to gameplay.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

January 25th, 2012, 18:30
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
You could set up a multiplayer game and make all your own characters and only take as many companions as you want or none.

sakichop

SasqWatch

January 25th, 2012, 18:48
I wasn't swayed by turn based strategy games. Diablo didn't do nothin' for me either.

This article is the result of Activision/Blizzard sending the author free pizzas for a year or something. Bullshit PR posing as "journalism".

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

January 25th, 2012, 23:34
in the voice of Xardas: Balderdash!

Melvil

Super Duper Super Sweet

January 26th, 2012, 05:39
Originally Posted by Sir Markus View Post
I agree completely about Baldur's Gate. Betrayal at Krondor was another game from that period that made an impact, IMO.
Do you mean Return to Krondor? BaK was released in 1993 during the golden age of the crpg - when all the big series were in full swing i.e. Ultima, Wizardry, Might and Magic etc. Those were the days…

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

January 26th, 2012, 23:49
darksun RPG's(sands of time and wake of the ravager) i think were in 1992, also great, great fun games and RPG's.

also fallout kicks baldur's gate's arse..i LOVE BG but fallout is ahead of it even.

rikus

Watchdog

January 27th, 2012, 20:57
It made a difference, because it became incredibly popular - and made investors realise the potential of the genre if handled in a certain way.

By itself, it was a deceptively simple game - with a very strong execution.

Best part of all, was the cooperative multiplayer aspect. I don't think I've ever had a finer time in gaming than playing Diablo with my brother and a mutual friend.

It's literally the only game in existence that ever made me forget about the outside world completely - while playing.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

January 28th, 2012, 04:23
Originally Posted by rikus View Post
also fallout kicks baldur's gate's arse..i LOVE BG but fallout is ahead of it even.
You mean in your opinion BG was way ahead of fallout in my opinion and I'm sure there are lot out there who would agree with me, and also with you.

BG2 fan girl
BG2: Eowyn & Anomen
IWD: Orhlanna & Korin
ME: Shepard & Garrus

purpleblob

Princess

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Diablo - How it Saved the Computer RPG