|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Skyrim - Creation Kit and High Res Pack Texture Released

Default Skyrim - Creation Kit and High Res Pack Texture Released

February 7th, 2012, 21:16
Bethesda today released the Creation Kit via Steam. An excerpt:
Now you can easily discover, rate, and download Skyrim mods directly through Steam. The Steam Workshop makes it easy to browse the most popular, newest or highest-rated mods of all time, as well as searching for specific content via tags such as “Armor”, “Quests”, “Dungeons”, and more. You can even see what your friends have added to their favorites. Once you’ve found something awesome, click the “Subscribe” button. Be sure to check the mod description for any special instructions, such as which NPC starts a quest, or how to acquire new items. The next time you play Skyrim, the launcher will automatically install the latest version of any subscribed mods and configure Skyrim to run them.
They've also released the High Resolution Texture Pack via Steam.
A sample from the announcement:
Experience The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim as you’ve never seen it before with the Skyrim High-Resolution Texture Pack. Make sure your system requirements exceed Skyrim’s recommended specs before attempting to install, including Windows Vista or 7 operating system, a minimum of 4GB of system RAM and a DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with at least 1 GB of RAM and the latest drivers.
A tutorial on how to make mods and upload them on the Steam Workshop for this game can be found at the Beth blog. A sample:
The difficult part, of course, is creating your mod. To get started modding, install the Creation Kit — free through Steam to all Skyrim owners — from the Tools section of your Steam Library. The Creation Kit is a powerful and sometimes daunting tool, but the community wiki at www.CreationKit.com is a resource for modders of all skill levels, even the total beginner. When you’re ready to share your work with the world, simply choose “Upload plugin and archive to Steam” from the File menu within the Creation Kit. Here you’ll be prompted to choose a name for your mod, as well as any description, content tags and thumbnails. The Creation Kit will notify you once the mod has successfully been uploaded to Steam.
More information.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

February 7th, 2012, 21:16
That is awesome news! I haven't touched Skyrim in a while, so this is a good occasion to do it again.

Thaurin

SasqWatch

February 7th, 2012, 21:22
Just bought it,
Damn you non-existent impulse control.

C

Crilloan

Sentinel

February 7th, 2012, 22:04
Great news!

Dez

Keeper of the Watch

February 7th, 2012, 22:15
Well, the texture pack worked fine for me until my first fast-travel, upon which I had a CTD. Didn't see enough to determine the differences. I was playing on "High" everything before the improved textures… perhaps they were enough to tip it over the edge.

Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

February 7th, 2012, 22:24
HD powah!! http://piclair.com/data/vesgy.jpg

welcome to 1995!

some textures does look a bit better though, wood and clothing is more detailed.

vurt

Serial Modderer

February 7th, 2012, 22:30
Snow seems more detailed. Even the "flat" white-out snow on flat surfaces seems, err, bumpier, especially when you shine light on it. The change is hardly dramatic though, and my performance so far hasn't been affected - though that no-fast-travel problem I'm getting sucks. Hopefully it doesn't affect normal transitions into cities etc.

I'm going to have to do a bit of a run to see what other differences I can see.

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

February 7th, 2012, 22:36
Skyrim on sale @33% off this week too… they're trying their darndest to assimilate anyone that's resisted thus far.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

February 7th, 2012, 22:47
Meh, it appears that my system, though it meets stated requirements, is too crap for the texture pack. As soon as get to an outdoor area that has the higher end of textures (i.e. non-snow areas!) I get a CTD. No performance issues as all. Running along, everything looks fine, oh that looks pretty - BAM!
Pity

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

February 7th, 2012, 23:40
The Nexus offers better texture packs than this. I'll stick with what I have it looks better than the official version.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

February 8th, 2012, 00:09
Meh, the rock wall/boulders texture still seems crappy. WTF did they improve, anyway?

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

February 8th, 2012, 02:54
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Skyrim on sale @33% off this week too… they're trying their darndest to assimilate anyone that's resisted thus far.
Gonna work on me for sure. I've only just started Deus Ex but it won't be too long before I'll be ready for Skyrim. They might have another sale in the spring but if it's not until summer… yeah, time to pull the trigger.

Is my mod to change my favorite dragon shout into "There can be only one!" finished yet?

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

February 8th, 2012, 03:34
I've seen some comparison screenshots. Some nice improvements, nothing ground shaking, though the clothing and weapon textures are nice(r).

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

February 8th, 2012, 03:39
there's a http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/134…lick-to-learn/ detailed analysis thread of the texture pack over at the official forums for those interested

SonOfCapiz

Sentinel

February 8th, 2012, 04:41
I installed the texture pack. It all looks great for about 1 minute then I crash to desktop. Doesn't seem to matter where I am or what I'm doing. When I get in the game, a 60 second countdown starts and when it gets to 0, I'm back at the desktop.

Before I crash, I notice two other oddities. When I cast a spell, if I hit the ground with the spell, it leaves a texture-less square artifcat on the ground. Also, if I press and hold a spell cast, I seem to see through the bottom of the world.

With all the other problems with this game and considering how each patch has introduced new problems, I'm slapping myself because I really should have known better than to install this DLC on its day 1 rollout.

On the bright side, I have KoA so I guess I'll go play that game and give Skyrim another month to work itself out.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

February 8th, 2012, 04:44
@Son
Thanks!

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

February 8th, 2012, 05:57
re-installed skyrim with the texture pack as I was playing a highly modded version with nvida tweaks. Don't remember exactly what vanilla skyrim looked liked, but my modded version was significantly better. I had 2k textures, better trees, water , grass, signs, furniture, npc clothes and some more I can't think of right now.

So maybe it's not fair to compare but I will stick to mods. I do appreciate that they took the time to release it though.

sakichop

SasqWatch

February 8th, 2012, 06:48
I started getting repeated crashes when I entered a bandit camp. So I unselected the hi-res texture pack mods.
Last edited by Thrasher; February 8th, 2012 at 17:58.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

February 8th, 2012, 09:38
I'm surprised they didn't up more stuff, at least as optional textures. I mean, why NOT have the highest possible version - just for your archives. They most likely didn't plan to care about the PC version - and modders will do much better, I'm sure.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

February 8th, 2012, 10:58
Originally Posted by Crilloan View Post
Just bought it,
Damn you non-existent impulse control.

C
Best buy you made this year

Twotricks

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Skyrim - Creation Kit and High Res Pack Texture Released