|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Warhorse - CryENGINE 3 Licensed

Default Warhorse - CryENGINE 3 Licensed

February 9th, 2012, 22:04
You may recall we revealed Warhorse Studios a few weeks back - a new Czech studio with games like Mafia under the founders' belts who are now working on an RPG. Warhorse has announced they have licensed CryEngine 3 for an "open-world experience":
Prague (Czech Republic) / Frankfurt (Germany), February 9, 2012 – Crytek GmbH (Crytek) and Warhorse Studios are happy to announce that they have closed a licensing deal for Crytek’s proprietary all-in-one game development solution CryENGINE®3. Warhorse Studios is working on an unannounced role-playing game (RPG). The debut title for the studio will combine open-world experience with a rich story and innovative gameplay elements.
Martin Klima, Executive Producer at Warhorse Studios commented: “We looked at every major technology out there and CryENGINE 3 suits our needs perfectly. We are confident it will allow us to make the vision for our game come true.”
“The team at Warhorse Studios consists of industry veterans from AAA classics such as the Mafia franchise and Operation Flashpoint. We’re excited by their vision for an innovative RPG and we are looking forward to working with them to help them achieve that vision with CryENGINE 3.”, said Carl Jones, Director of Global Business Development CryENGINE.
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

February 9th, 2012, 22:04
I am super curious about this game. Its lead designer dislikes a LOT of elements in Skyrim and is incredible nitpicking perfectionist, wants to make realistic open world RPG, and has backing of billionaire behind him (thus they can afford CE3 engine). This could be very interesting.
It also helps that Mafia 1 is pretty much the best third person shooter ever made and he was its lead designer as well.

Paul

SasqWatch

February 9th, 2012, 22:18
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I am super curious about this game. Its lead designer dislikes a LOT of elements in Skyrim and is incredible nitpicking perfectionist, wants to make realistic open world RPG, and has backing of billionaire behind him (thus they can afford CE3 engine). This could be very interesting.
It also helps that Mafia 1 is pretty much the best third person shooter ever made and he was its lead designer as well.
What elements did they dislike? But yes this seems very interesting..

vurt

Serial Modderer

February 9th, 2012, 23:48
"Warhorse" ? Probably named after the (new) movie ?

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

February 10th, 2012, 01:41
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I am super curious about this game. Its lead designer dislikes a LOT of elements in Skyrim
can you give some link to that info? I would love to compare my negative impressions - if it was close to my hear it would be for me a great positive for his project xD

Misha

SasqWatch

February 10th, 2012, 02:17
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
"Warhorse" ? Probably named after the (new) movie ?
That's what I thought. No seriously, the movie is spelled War Horse so probably not.

JuliusMagnus

Indulgent Wastrel

February 10th, 2012, 02:21
Originally Posted by Misha View Post
can you give some link to that info? I would love to compare my negative impressions - if it was close to my hear it would be for me a great positive for his project xD
I did a google search, you should try it some time.

This is what I found.

Anyway, he gives a nice long list we can hold him accountable for with his own game.

JuliusMagnus

Indulgent Wastrel

February 10th, 2012, 07:46
I'm looking forward to seeing what other studios can do with CryEngine 3. Crysis 2 was a huge disappointment for me.

JDR13

SasqWatch

February 10th, 2012, 09:42
Should be interesting, but I think it's kinda silly for a would-be developer to start out by listing what you hate about other successful titles.

Well, unless you're REALLY talented

Otherwise, you should probably do something of note - and THEN explain why it's so much better.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

February 10th, 2012, 10:38
I agree, though he did make one of my all-time favourite games.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

February 10th, 2012, 10:41
If you're talking about Mafia, I agree

One of the very, very few driving/action games I absolutely love. No more than a handful of games have achieved that level of storytelling and world immersion.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

February 10th, 2012, 11:05
Originally Posted by JuliusMagnus View Post
I did a google search, you should try it some time.

This is what I found.

Anyway, he gives a nice long list we can hold him accountable for with his own game.
Very curious about the statement made by that guy.
Now all i need is a translation for the link mentioned above.

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

February 10th, 2012, 11:46
Originally Posted by ikbenrichard View Post
Now all i need is a translation for the link mentioned above.

http://translate.google.com/translat…_Stiskni_ENTER

JDR13

SasqWatch

February 10th, 2012, 11:52
"Skyrim has yellow teeth from his mouth stinks, is completely stupid and has gonorrhea. And I am tired of imagining the monsters instead of pleasing curves blonde Helga."

Big words and utterly retarded comparisons from someone who was a Lead Designer for Mafia 2, i could easily find 100+ reasons why that game sucked.. come again when you've released a true open world RPG yourself and someone might take you seriously?
Funny how he couldnt manage to make Mafia 2 a better game than Mafia 1 imo, he's obviously quite clueless.

vurt

Serial Modderer

February 10th, 2012, 14:21
I'd love to see him mod skyrim and see what he can come up with. That could prove to people he's got things figured out

SonOfCapiz

Sentinel

February 10th, 2012, 15:06
An open world RPG in support of Cry Engine 3. Now that is something I like to see. And play too.
Obviously it is going to be a high budged game. Lots of hard work.
We shall see,I hope. How it turns out.

Black Rune

Watcher

February 10th, 2012, 15:39
The MMO ArcheAge is using the same engine. Supposedly, it looks good and performs well - but it's only in closed beta atm.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

February 10th, 2012, 15:50
Hmm an rpg based on the CryENGINE 3 sign me up as interested. That he is ambitious and wants to make a game better than skyrim makes me more interested.

"Frankly Sir /Madam I don't give a damn about your opinion."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

February 10th, 2012, 19:45
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
"Skyrim has yellow teeth from his mouth stinks, is completely stupid and has gonorrhea. And I am tired of imagining the monsters instead of pleasing curves blonde Helga."

Big words and utterly retarded comparisons from someone who was a Lead Designer for Mafia 2, i could easily find 100+ reasons why that game sucked.. come again when you've released a true open world RPG yourself and someone might take you seriously?
Funny how he couldnt manage to make Mafia 2 a better game than Mafia 1 imo, he's obviously quite clueless.
Just an FYI, he left 2K about year and a half before Mafia 2 was released because he was unhappy with the direction of the game (for example he wrote branching story with 4 endings but it all got scrapped by 2K producers).
His Skyrim Hate article is completely over the top and not to be taken seriously, but some of his criticism is spot on.

Paul

SasqWatch

February 10th, 2012, 22:51
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
http://translate.google.com/translat…_Stiskni_ENTER
I don't mind people who speak their mind, but this article does not speak well for the maturity of it's author, although I must admit that Mafia I was a great game. I hope he has not lost it, like Peter Molyneux.

Time will tell, I guess.

coyote

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Warhorse - CryENGINE 3 Licensed