|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Polls & Comments » Setting for an Obsidian crowd-founded game?

View Poll Results - What setting should Obsidian use for an original crowd-funded RPG?

Fantasy 588 31.58%
Historical 66 3.54%
Modern 39 2.09%
Steampunk 515 27.66%
Cyberpunk 196 10.53%
Sci-fi 158 8.49%
Post-apoc 75 4.03%
Technofantasy 82 4.40%
Western 66 3.54%
Horror 77 4.14%
Voters: 1862. You may not vote on this poll

Default Setting for an Obsidian crowd-founded game?

February 12th, 2012, 19:19
My opinion:

I don't care about the setting as long as the game is part of an IP Obsidian owns and can keep*. Just make an RPG inspired by the classics and create it in an environment in which you don't have to ask anybody for permission - especially not some marketing suits.

* This rules out sequels to games they were involved in before, unless they can aquire the IP from its owner or at least get a long term license for many years.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

February 12th, 2012, 19:30
I picked Fantasy because a game always feels like it's lacking something without a magic system to me. I do like the Victorian Sci-Fi idea though.

Philistine

Watcher

February 12th, 2012, 21:23
Originally Posted by Crilloan View Post
Voted before I read (voted Sci-fi)
But a victorian sci-fi!
Jungles of venus and dying kingdoms of mars.

O boy!

C
Right on yeah!

Thinking of Martian Dreams and Space 1889…

Victorian Sci-Fi could even have some fantasy and magic as it involves exploring other planets. The natives of those planets could be at a medieval tech level and / or have magic use of a sort. And as Arthur C Clarke famously said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Anything is possible in this setting and it could be expanded pretty much infinitely. The more I think of it I really want someone to make a game like this!

Myrkrel

Sentinel

February 13th, 2012, 00:16
How in the world is fantasy catching up… you'd think with 95% of RPG's being fantasy-based, people would get their fill!

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

February 13th, 2012, 00:56
Well then, they'll just have to make it Steampunk Fantasy so they can please both sides.

Myrkrel

Sentinel

February 13th, 2012, 00:57
Anything but more medieval trope with elves and magic.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

February 13th, 2012, 01:18
Went with Technofantasy as it certainly isn't all that common period, let alone wrangled in such a way as to have lasting power.

getter77

Sentinel

February 13th, 2012, 01:53
What is Technofantasy defined as? Any game or non-game examples? I'm not familiar with the term… Is it like science fantasy?

Myrkrel

Sentinel

February 13th, 2012, 02:39
Didn't actualy played it but saw somewhere this title called,does description defines what you had in mind?

Igor

Watchdog

February 13th, 2012, 03:12
There aren't many cyberpunk rpgs on the market..so if obsidian decided to make one, i'd be thrilled And its bizarre that fantasy theme is so pupular…i mean every second rpg released has a fantasy setting of some sort.

Dez

Watcher of The Keep

February 13th, 2012, 03:36
Considering that Tim Schaefer's Doublefine was able to raise 1.6 million in under two days (with 28 days of fund-raising left to go) I think this could actually be a real possibility.

jhwisner

SasqWatch

February 13th, 2012, 05:28
I would love to see a Lovecraft-inspired horror game, perhaps set in early 20th century New England or 19th century London.

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch

February 13th, 2012, 06:02
I went steampunk. Thinking Arcanum here. Liked the interplay between magic and technology. Dug my dwarf crashing on a dirigible, only to dust off his Victorian suit to begin a long career of crafting gadgets. Nice crafting system. Pistols in plate mail. If anyone remakes Arcanum, let me control my companions, please. A full party would also be nice.

Like the idea of Jules Verne-style sci fi, which is a bit steampunky in its own right. Also like Lovecraft horror. Waiting for that iPhone turn-based tactical game to be ported to the Android.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

February 13th, 2012, 06:21
Sci-fi. I believe it is vastly under utilised as a crpg genre. I can only think of a handful of true sci-fi crpgs. Turn based with tactical combat.

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

February 13th, 2012, 10:41
Cyberpunk. No memorable games since Neuromancer from 1988…

srabuseen

Watcher

February 13th, 2012, 15:24
I can't answer this poll. I would want a combination of two or more. For examle, horror sci-fi (like Event Horizon), horror western (I guess we have the Red Dead Redemption expansion for that), historically-inspired fantasy with post-apocalyptic and steampunk elements. Just combining two or more of the listed settings gives me tons of ideas for interesting worlds to develop.

I'm also reminded of The Longest Journey where two parallel worlds, one modern and technical and one magical, collide.

Thaurin

SasqWatch

February 13th, 2012, 15:28
I'd prefer a sci-fi setting akin to the Alien universe.

If not that, then a Shadowrun type setting.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

February 13th, 2012, 16:43
Originally Posted by Myrkrel View Post
I voted for Steampunk - but ideally it would be a hybrid. Steampunk + Fantasy (like Arcanum) or Steampunk + Lovecraftian Horror would be great.

Also a Steampunk + Weird West (like the tabletop Deadlands RPG) combo would be very interesting.

I'd also love to see a Jules Verne Victorian sci-fi type of setting - which of course would have steampunk elements as well.

If they did pure fantasy I would hope for it to not be Tolkienesque / dwarves and elves style as this is so done to death by now. We don't need another traditional fantasy IP.
You described perfectly what I would like Myrkrel. Jules Verne yeah, now that would be the ticket.

Warmark

Sentinel

February 13th, 2012, 18:58
I voted Historical as soon as I saw it, and Bedwyr made me proud that I'd done so. There's such a treasure trove of stories stranger than fiction, waiting to be plundered. Maybe in the bargain, some people would actually get interested in reality again, too. Anything but fantasy sounds ok, tbh. It's not that I hate magic -in a new setting or paradigm, it can still be interesting - but man, anything but "fantasy". None of that crap is even fantastical anymore.

qpqpqp

Watcher

February 14th, 2012, 00:26
I'd love a fantasy aztec setting. Or actually pretty much anything on the list if CA's getting to go nuts with it in old school style.

Benedict

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Polls & Comments » Setting for an Obsidian crowd-founded game?