|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Xcom: Enemy unknown discussion

Default Xcom: Enemy unknown discussion

September 25th, 2012, 19:42
I'll need to wait until I get my new laptop with Windows 7, I guess, since it won't run on XP?

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

September 25th, 2012, 22:05
The Demo is way too short, especially considering the size of the download. I don't feel like it showed me enough to decide whether or not I'm going to purchase it. I'm also annoyed that you have to play through the tutorial mission every time you start the demo.

Visuals and atmosphere seemed pretty good. Gameplay seemed solid enough, although a bit simplistic for this type of game. I wonder what the max size of your squad will be in the full game though.

JDR13

SasqWatch

September 25th, 2012, 22:50
After Xenonauts alpha demo I don't have as big expectations for this game anymore.With Xenonauts we are getting remake that is more true to original so I am hoping that Xcom:enemy unknown will be different than original(which it will be based on demo let's just hope it's in good way).I pre-ordered both games already so I am hoping for best.

Nameless one

Keeper of the Watch

September 26th, 2012, 13:22
Originally Posted by JDR13
I wonder what the max size of your squad will be in the full game though.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that it's 6+1, the "+1" being your combat robot thingy (what was it called? SHIV?), which you can add as extra to your squad — or maybe it was 6 in total with the robot. Umm, can't recall the source, so this is all from my shaky memory, i.e. take it with a grain of salt.

Originally Posted by Nameless one
With Xenonauts we are getting remake that is more true to original so I am hoping that Xcom:enemy unknown will be different than original(which it will be based on demo let's just hope it's in good way).I pre-ordered both games already so I am hoping for best.
Likewise. I have preordered both games and fully expect them to offer completely different experiences, but still enjoying both (hopefully!). While the Firaxis game is a lighter, more streamlined (not being snarky here) take on the original XCOM with nice spiffy graphics and other modern bells and whistles; it's with Xenonauts that I'll get the truer XCOM experience in all its inventory fiddling, squad micro managing, action point counting glory.

"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Lurking Grue

Random Encounter #23

September 26th, 2012, 15:31
Y'all really need to take a took at UFO:Extraterrestrials. Such a faithful re-creation of X-Com that they should have been sued…

UFO:ET2 got pushed back again (UFO:ET1 got pushed back about 2 years, but was pretty well bug-free and well-balanced when released), but it's still listed for Christmas, here.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

October 1st, 2012, 03:43
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
I'll need to wait until I get my new laptop with Windows 7, I guess, since it won't run on XP?
Nope, no XP. I'm not real certain why that is because it isn't using high end DirectX graphics. Maybe it's using non-graphic DirectX features only found in 10+? Or maybe they just don't want to mess with ancient OS's.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

October 1st, 2012, 15:09
Guess that's one game that won't be added to my backlog for a while. Unfortunate, I was actually interested.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

October 6th, 2012, 12:29
XCOM remake is available as preload on Steam for all of us who preordered it.

12.3Gb… My C: partition suddenly feels too small.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

October 8th, 2012, 14:11
Uh ? http://www.tomshardware.com/news/X-C…ter,18044.html

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

October 8th, 2012, 19:38
Xcom is now fully pre-loaded…..please be good like the '94 game was, and do not suck!!

-Carn

Carnifex

Keeper of the Watch

October 8th, 2012, 20:20
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Uh ? http://www.tomshardware.com/news/X-C…ter,18044.html
Different game.

JDR13

SasqWatch

October 10th, 2012, 21:30
Word of warning: I've been playing on Ironman mode which means you only have one savegame file which writes over itself after every round. Basically you can't cheat the system by reloading if one of your squad members die. I've put a solid 10 hours into the game and I'm really enjoying it until… my savegame file is corrupt and I have to start all over. Really really frustrating. With a mode like Ironman and one savegame file you would have hoped for better stability.

Lemonhead

Keeper of the Watch

October 10th, 2012, 22:06
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
Word of warning: I've been playing on Ironman mode which means you only have one savegame file which writes over itself after every round. Basically you can't cheat the system by reloading if one of your squad members die. I've put a solid 10 hours into the game and I'm really enjoying it until… my savegame file is corrupt and I have to start all over. Really really frustrating. With a mode like Ironman and one savegame file you would have hoped for better stability.
does this mean its released?

how about the concerns of repetitive cities (which is also somewhat of an issue in the original) that were found in the demo?

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

October 10th, 2012, 22:41
Huh? What iron whatever mode are you talking about? On my Steam preload it says two more days for a release? Did I miss something?

[EDIT]
Scratch that, seems the game was released on Amazon 2 days ago… Well, next time I'm preordering there!
http://www.amazon.com/2K-Games-41071…+enemy+unknown

Lemon, thanks for the warning, I won't use that mode. At least till it's patched.
Last edited by joxer; October 10th, 2012 at 22:51.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

October 10th, 2012, 23:23
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
does this mean its released?

how about the concerns of repetitive cities (which is also somewhat of an issue in the original) that were found in the demo?
It was released on steam in North America on october 9.

I haven't played far enough to determine if repetition will be a problem or not. So far so good.

Lemonhead

Keeper of the Watch

October 11th, 2012, 00:52
Yep - check the Steam forums, lots of info in there. PC Gamer has a review out plus a game guide. A few interesting easter eggs have been found, too.

There's also some sort of bug making the FMV play back the 720p versions. I'm hoping that gets fixed when the European version gets released.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

October 11th, 2012, 02:33
I'm playing on classic mode with no problem yet, but now I'm using backup saves as well between missions. Gotta say the game is a blast, finally making some headway and progress, ET is going home alright….in a body bag!!!

-Carn

Carnifex

Keeper of the Watch

October 11th, 2012, 08:09
What's "classic mode", and how is it different from the normal game?

JDR13

SasqWatch

October 11th, 2012, 09:23
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Yep - check the Steam forums, lots of info in there.
Thanks for the pointing that, I opened one random thread and I'm already LMAO. A quote from there (http://steamcommunity.com/app/200510…99976099547/):
If your using the steam forums to complain about xbox/ps3 copies, Ha, i laugh at you and your controller.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

October 11th, 2012, 16:54
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
What's "classic mode", and how is it different from the normal game?
The difficulty modes are:
Easy
Normal
Classic
Impossible… or similar wording.

I'm not sure how the difficulty scales, more, tougher aliens probably that do more damage.
Then you can apply Ironman mode to any one of these difficulty settings. Ironman only uses one savegame so you can't reload of your prized soldiers die in combat. Perma death essentially.

Lemonhead

Keeper of the Watch

Tags
xcom
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Xcom: Enemy unknown discussion