|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The last really good sci-fi movie you saw in a theater

Default The last really good sci-fi movie you saw in a theater

March 8th, 2012, 21:44
I've been trying to brainstorm some rental ideas… and I just can't recall any recent good sci-fi.

Sunshine, District 13… isn't there anything more recent?

Where are the Bladerunners of this generation? Hell, I'd settle for a Total Recall.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

March 8th, 2012, 22:18
I liked Source Code, actually. I'm not sure I would call it REALLY good - but it was definitely interesting and entertaining.

For the pure spectacle - I think Tron Legacy was quite an experience in the theater, even though the actual movie is pretty bad. But visuals and sound were amazing. It's an experience that will stick with me forever, I think.

Inception was very good as well.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes was above average.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

March 8th, 2012, 22:23
I don't know Dart - of the four you listed, the only one I'd truly label sci-fi would be Inception. I like my sci-fi to be plausible in some sense; else, it's just fantasy with technobabble

That one scene in Inception with the street/city curling over itself truly reminded me of what a live-action Sigil would look like Thanks for reminding me!

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

March 8th, 2012, 22:40
I recently found out about Ridley Scott's upcoming sci-fi movie. In case you haven't heard about it yet, here is a trailer.

Let's hope it is in the same league as Blade Runner and Alien.

Asdraguuhl

Sentinel

March 8th, 2012, 22:45
Originally Posted by Asdraguuhl View Post
I recently found out about Ridley Scott's upcoming sci-fi movie. In case you haven't heard about it yet, here is a trailer.

Let's hope it is in the same league as Blade Runner and Alien.
Alien prequel. It will be "good" because it it Scott. Hopefully it will be great!

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

March 9th, 2012, 01:17
Yes, I can't wait for Prometheus! I've always thought that the "derelict spacecraft" in Alien(s) offered up so much potential… potential squandered for the sake of telling a linear story involving Ripley.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

March 9th, 2012, 07:05
Moon
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Pandorum

Really looking forward to Prometheus, even though his Robin Hood is one of the worst movies i've seen in a theatre :/

vurt

Serial Modderer

March 9th, 2012, 07:14
I rarely watch movies in theather but what I would call real good scifi is something like original star wars trilogy and alien 2.

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

zakhal

HomelyRebel

March 9th, 2012, 07:48
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
Alien prequel. It will be "good" because it it Scott. Hopefully it will be great!
I am not sure where you heard that it is an alien "prequel". To quote ridley scott:

While Alien was indeed the jumping off point for this project, out of the creative process evolved a new, grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place. The keen fan will recognize strands of Alien's DNA, so to speak, but the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative. I couldn't be more pleased to have found the singular tale I'd been searching for, and finally return to this genre that's so close to my heart.

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

March 9th, 2012, 08:11
Originally Posted by bjon045 View Post
I am not sure where you heard that it is an alien "prequel". To quote ridley scott:
Have you seen the trailer?

Even if the Xenomorphs aren't the primary focus in Prometheus, it's still obviously a prequel to Alien.

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 9th, 2012, 08:50
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
it's still obviously a prequel to Alien.
edit: looks like I am wrong. Ignore me I wrote the bit below before I did a bit of googling Seems like some of the cast did confirm it.

edit2: Actually seems pretty conflicting. Take this quote from Idris Elba (Feb 2012):

It captures all the great DNA stuff of ‘Aliens,’ that’s all in this film as well. But it’s a different film altogether.
And:

http://www.prometheusforum.net/discu…rometheus-faqs

A prequel would have to exist in the same time line and as far as I am aware we have not had any confirmation of that. Despite the similarities I think you are leaping to the conclusion that it is a prequel. Ridley Scott is playing it very close to his chest and almost no plot details have yet emerged. Pretty much the only thing he has said is that it is an "original story".

Yes it very much looks like it could be, and I am certainly not ruling it out that it is one, but I think we have to wait till it hits the cinemas to find out the truth. Any yes, I have seen the trailer at least 20-30 times

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.
Last edited by bjon045; March 9th, 2012 at 09:03.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

March 9th, 2012, 09:02
I'm not sure what they mean by same time line, but there's obviously a direct connection as far as the location is concerned, and it takes place prior to the events in Alien. That's enough to be considered a prequel to me, even if the events that take place don't directly effect what happened in Alien.

Scott is blowing a bit of a smoke in an obvious attempt to heighten the sense of mystery surrounding the project, which is fine by me. I'm pretty sure the "original story" claim is to cover his tracks as far as any retconning is concerned.

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 9th, 2012, 11:16
Another thumbs up for Rise of the Planet of the Apes…

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio

March 9th, 2012, 12:13
Oh, please, not another sequel/prequel or whatever again … I really want something *original* …

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 9th, 2012, 12:29
I think the Alien movies are original enough, we get like one horror sci-fi movie every 5-6 year or so on an average, so i wouldnt say we're exactly spoiled with this genre.

vurt

Serial Modderer

March 9th, 2012, 12:42
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Yes, I can't wait for Prometheus! I've always thought that the "derelict spacecraft" in Alien(s) offered up so much potential…
I fully agree. Of course, the derelict ship has always been a mistery and many people have probably let their imagination run wild regarding its origins. Consequently, the danger of a total "screw up" and disappointment will be present.

Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Oh, please, not another sequel/prequel or whatever again … I really want something *original* …
Apparently, the "Aliens" are present but are secondary so I do suspect that the focus of the movie will be original.

Just out of curiosity, would you say the same thing if a new Drakensang were to be announced?

Asdraguuhl

Sentinel

March 9th, 2012, 14:14
I think that anything becomes boring it became expanded too much, so to say.

Star Wars, for example. Okay, sure, each part of it tells a new story. But all in all it becomes like … a thing thar's been kind of repeated … It doesn't look "new" anymore. That's what I mean.

Telling new stories within a given setting might be okay, but telling too many of them kind of lets the impression of "newness" and "originality" decay or at least erode over time …

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 9th, 2012, 14:46
There have been four Alien movies and two Aliens vs Predator spin-offs so you can argue that the theme has lost its originality. However, IMO only the first two movies are of relevance as the others are nothing but crap and garbage and are thus "non-existant" as far as I am concerned. I just hope that the new Prometheus captures the "feel" of the orginal movies and becomes worthy of being he "third" movie.

Asdraguuhl

Sentinel

March 9th, 2012, 14:52
Originally Posted by Asdraguuhl View Post
There have been four Alien movies and two Aliens vs Predator spin-offs so you can argue that the theme has lost its originality. However, IMO only the first two movies are of relevance as the others are nothing but crap and garbage and are thus "non-existant" as far as I am concerned. I just hope that the new Prometheus captures the "feel" of the orginal movies and becomes worthy of being he "third" movie.
Completely agree about AvP being garbage, but Alien 3 and Resurrection weren't totally horrible imo. I recently watched the "Assembly Cut" of Alien 3 and thought it was quite good.

I think Alien Resurrection is the weakest of the series, but it's still significantly better than the AvP films. I actually think it's a pretty good movie for the first 3/4 of the film.

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 9th, 2012, 15:00
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
I don't know Dart - of the four you listed, the only one I'd truly label sci-fi would be Inception. I like my sci-fi to be plausible in some sense; else, it's just fantasy with technobabble

That one scene in Inception with the street/city curling over itself truly reminded me of what a live-action Sigil would look like Thanks for reminding me!
So taking drugs to share dreams is plausible, but zapping yourself inside a super computer is not?

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The last really good sci-fi movie you saw in a theater