Diablo 3 - No PvP on Release

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Blizzard has announced they will hold back PvP from Diablo III to be patched back in the future. Apparently PvP isn't living up to their standards:
While we work on making sure PvP lives up to its full potential, we hope you’ll find some consolation in the fact that soon, you’ll be having a blast leveling characters, finding items, learning the classes, and perfecting builds…and that when the Arenas do arrive, you’ll be all the better prepared for battle.

As we’re counting down the days until we’re ready to announce a release date for Diablo III, we’ve come to realize that the PvP game and systems aren’t yet living up to our standards. Today, we wanted to let you know that we’ve made the difficult decision to hold back the PvP Arena system and release it in a patch following the game’s launch. After a lot of consideration and discussion, we ultimately felt that delaying the whole game purely for PvP would just be punishing to everyone who’s waiting to enjoy the campaign and core solo/co-op content, all of which is just about complete.
More information.

Boooo, I want the blood curdling "BORONG" that sounds when you are wondering about in a public HC game.

This is the second "core philosophy" that the current dev team has abandoned: go Blizzard!

PvP wasn't live on WoW's release either. Not sure how many patches came before it was. Not that I care, I hate PvP because I am terrible at it.

"We have also decided to drop dungeons from the game, as they aren't quite ready, and we don't want to launch with a feature that doesn't meet Blizzard's commitment to quality. The entire game, at release, will take place in towns. Limited combat options may be available at launch, depending on how the beta moves forward.
We hope to add dungeons and more robust combat options at a later date, hopefully with a patch, DLC, or expansion."

"We have decided to drop the whole game since it doesn't fit our commitment to quality."

I have a question that's a little off topic, and I'd like hear your opinions. How rare is the Collectors Edition going to be? Considering that it took many years to develope the D3 and the hype behind it all, I wonder how much people would be willing to pay for an unopened CE after the game is released.

PvP wasn't live on WoW's release either. Not sure how many patches came before it was. Not that I care, I hate PvP because I am terrible at it.

You could PVP on WoW's release, and a lot of the talents were designed for PVP. They didn't implement battlegrounds for like 6 months or more after release though.

There was no reason to PVP when WoW came out, other then to gank low level characters and make their lives miserable. But you did still technically have the ability to do it. It wasn't until significantly later that PVP was actually a real part of the game.

It's actually extremely common in all Blizzard games for a lot of features to just never make release. Sometimes it's because they aren't ready, and sometimes it's because they just didn't work out that well in practice.

You could PVP on WoW's release, and a lot of the talents were designed for PVP. They didn't implement battlegrounds for like 6 months or more after release though.

There was something about PvP beyond the battlegrounds issue. It seems to me there was an outcry because people on PvP servers couldn't PvP. I don't remember though.

You may be joking, but Blizzard has actually done that twice in the past for other games.

RIP
Original Starcraft (UGLY)
Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans
Starcraft: Ghost

You will be remembered.

I can imagine they are getting some pressure now to move to a release date, so dropping some features now, rework them and add after release seems viable to me. I rather have it this way than the other way around leading to a malfunctioning game mechanism.

Personally I don't do PVP and so it's more or less not relevant to me, but since I know a lot of people like PVP I hope it will be patched in soon after release.

As long as they ultimately implement meaningful PvP, I'm more than happy to get the game out sooner.

I've gone back and forth about this one for a long time, and it'd be nice to finally get to see if it's worth playing at all.

RIP
Original Starcraft (UGLY)
Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans
Starcraft: Ghost

You will be remembered.

Add the 1st Diablo 3 to that? It looked alot like D2 but much more grey, and went on in heaven. It was canned, and the D3 as we know it was made years after.

I think the original D3 was more of a test or experiment. It definitely wasn't in full blown production or anything like that.

I have a question that's a little off topic, and I'd like hear your opinions. How rare is the Collectors Edition going to be? Considering that it took many years to develope the D3 and the hype behind it all, I wonder how much people would be willing to pay for an unopened CE after the game is released.

I don't know, really, all I can say that there is a huge number of fans out there.

Besides, I sometimes even see a Collector's Edition of the last wow addition every now and then ...

We will be releasing PVP in about 6 months as a DLC, only an additional $5.

I wouldn't count on any shortage of collector's editions for Diablo 3. Blizzard tends to put out a lot. There were still copies of the Starcraft II CE sitting in stores 6 months after it was released.

Back
Top Bottom