|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dishonored - First In-Game Footage

Default Dishonored - First In-Game Footage

March 12th, 2012, 21:49
Bethsoft recently held a press event for Arkane's Dishonored, so expect a flurry of previews. For the moment, however, GameSpot has exclusivity on the first in-game footage with a 6-minute video interview featuring several gameplay segments. From the accompanying preview:
Between each mission, you're dropped into a hub world where you can upgrade your equipment and powers—and boy, are there a lot of powers to choose from. You can launch fire and ice attacks, summon a plague of rats, instantly teleport over short distances, possess people and animals, slow down time Max Payne-style, see through walls, and master a range of weapons including a crossbow, pistol, and the deliciously gory Spring Razor. This range of powers is combined with a level design that does its best not to restrict you in any way; if you see a great sniping spot on top of a roof or a distant vent that would simply be part of scenery in a lesser game, chances are you can get there and use it.
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 12th, 2012, 21:49
I found their reaction to people finding ways to get places they weren't supposed to be able to get to somewhat interesting. Instead of reworking the levels so that clever power usage didn't allow players to skip over large areas or get into places meant to be unreachable - they kind of went with it and seemed pleased that players came up with things they didn't realize were possible themselves.

jhwisner

SasqWatch

March 12th, 2012, 22:19
Looks awesome. I get the impression that this game will have somewhat similar game-play to the Deus Ex games.

GuybrushWilco

Pirate Janitor

March 12th, 2012, 22:42
It strikes me as Thief meets Hitman blended with Steampunk. I was hoping to see more in-game footage, but I'm definitely interested nonetheless.

Also, it's ironic that they mention Max Payne because that was the first thing I thought of when I heard the music at the start of the video.

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 12th, 2012, 23:07
Most anticipated game right now. Finally another immersive sim with emergent gameplay ! I hope it will be properly visceral and will blow me away! (gotta love these buzzwords)

Paul

Watchdog

March 13th, 2012, 01:20
I like their attitude. I noticed however they are calling the Game a first person action game not a shooter RPG. But if this game is as good as Riddick or Bioshock (which it looks like it may be ) then I can hardly wait.

Dajjer

Keeper of the Watch

March 13th, 2012, 01:22
The ambiance seems nice.

Von Paulus

Sentinel

March 13th, 2012, 05:27
I didn't listen to the interview. I watched the video with the sound off, but it looks like it's steeped in style. I'll probably get the game just for that reason.

Dug the Thief-esque mission briefings with still images.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

March 13th, 2012, 05:40
I too would have liked to see more in game footage. I wonder how they keep it balanced with all those powers? Also what are the rpg aspects of the game?

sakichop

SasqWatch

March 13th, 2012, 07:45
Intense feeling of Deja Vu there (especially on some outside scenes)…

Interested.

JonNik

SasqWatch

March 13th, 2012, 09:09
yeah, some people need to see something with their own eyes to understand it, while others just click . You should consider what that says about you

thumbs up for the best designers out there. and RIP for the old minds who lost their way.

borcanu

muist

March 13th, 2012, 09:21
Originally Posted by borcanu View Post
yeah, some people need to see something with their own eyes to understand it, while others just click . You should consider what that says about you

thumbs up for the best designers out there. and RIP for the old minds who lost their way.
Umm, Care to elaborate?

Edit: Do you perchance mean that we should automatically fall on our knees in abject worship from this little bit (HL ripoff scenes aside) they gave us instead of wanting to know more about the meat of the game first and if we don't then there is something wrong with us?
Last edited by JonNik; March 13th, 2012 at 09:33.

JonNik

SasqWatch

March 13th, 2012, 10:56
I am not really into assassination as primary gameplay goal, but creative power usage and freedom of movement combined with a strong story in an atmospheric environment: sounds interesting and bears following!

coyote

Sentinel

March 13th, 2012, 13:15
Assassin's Greed in Steampunk Universe ?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 13th, 2012, 17:52
I'm not liking the art style - and I think some of the powers sound like they were designed to stand apart, rather than to be particularly great for gameplay. Much like I'm getting a vibe from Bioshock Infinite - in terms of being desperately different. Sometimes, you don't have to be different to be truly great - but that's me.

But given the style and the Deus Ex/Thief type gameplay in Dishonored - I'm very interested despite the above reservations.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

March 13th, 2012, 18:09
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Assassin's Greed in Steampunk Universe ?
In a sense. But Arkane's own Dark Messiah wasn't that far off that vibe, either.

I'm curious how this will turn out.

Turjan

Sentinel

March 13th, 2012, 18:32
Doesn't look very steampunkee to me.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

March 13th, 2012, 20:30
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Doesn't look very steampunkee to me.
To me neither, but perhaps some of the equipment, "gadgets", will have a steampunk vibe.

BlackHarmo

Watcher

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dishonored - First In-Game Footage