|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Mass Effect 3 - Casey Hudson Interview

Default Mass Effect 3 - Casey Hudson Interview

March 14th, 2012, 23:02
BioWare's Casey Hudson has answered some questions about Mass Effect 3 over at Digital Trends. Fan input, romances, the DLC controversy and, of course, the ending are discussed:
What are your thoughts on the reaction to the game’s endings?
I didn’t want the game to be forgettable, and even right down to the sort of polarizing reaction that the ends have had with people–debating what the endings mean and what’s going to happen next, and what situation are the characters left in. That to me is part of what’s exciting about this story. There has always been a little bit of mystery there and a little bit of interpretation, and it’s a story that people can talk about after the fact.
…and I thought I'd toss in Matt Barton's feelings on the ending:
GROW UP, GAMERS. Every friggin' game can't end with the Ewok cuddle patrol dancing and chanting "You sure are special, kid!"
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 14th, 2012, 23:02
I was more annoyed by the game's poor beginning (corny dialog, poor drama attempt with the airvent kid, magical mcguffin and convoluted plan) than the ending.

The Matt Barton article gets the facts wrong about what endings are available.

People seem to be bitching about the ending for all sorts different reasons, some wanted a hollywood ending, others wanted an epilogue, others wanted the original ending that involved dark energy.

The common point seems to be that mass effect fans are vocal whiners, from throwing a shitstorm about the game's original script and ending and getting those changed(how did that work out for ya?) to gay romance to origin all before the game even came out, to now bitching about the endings; they have to be some of the most whiny fans the genre has, I'd chalk it up to the soap opera/melodrama nature of the series.
Last edited by KapitanUnterhosen; March 14th, 2012 at 23:19.

KapitanUnterhosen

Sentinel

March 14th, 2012, 23:07
What I have heard about the ending reminds me of Divinity 2 (plain vanilla, no DKS or Add-On).

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 14th, 2012, 23:14
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
What I have heard about the ending reminds me of Divinity 2 (plain vanilla, no DKS or Add-On).
Yeah I still remember that ending. You lose after everything you do but thankfully Larian made an expansion to flesh it out. I doubt Bioware will do the same.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

March 14th, 2012, 23:23
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Nothing of the sort.

KapitanUnterhosen

Sentinel

March 14th, 2012, 23:25
But the effect is the same :

Use a bad ending as a means to stay in the memories of the people forever.

Even when the ME series might perhaps one day be fully gone (just imagine; I doubt that this will happen anytime soon) - such an ending is something people will remember. Forever.

The impact of the Negativity is really a great emotional impact, no matter how you look at it. And bad things are often remembered much, much, much better than good things.

Someone might have said : "good endings, Disney-style ? Forgettable ! Let's unleash all available Negativiry to create the biggest emotional impact EVAR !" Ahem.

Well, it seems clear to me that some people really don't like good endings, Disney-style or whatever.

It's like … Heavy Metal music. Heavy Metal music isn't negative (except maybe Death Metal), but it isn't "Disney-style" either.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 14th, 2012, 23:46
Personally, I don't really care about "bad" or "good ending". It's not a happy ending, I seek, it's a ending that makes sense. There are plotholes you could fly the Destiny Ascension through - and this is even if you don't consider it simply badly written, as a Deus Ex Machina probably was considered a lame conclusion when it was invented by the ancient greeks. And of course, the ending for a trilogy that started out as a single player game should not depend on you playing multiplayer or not. It's nice that Multiplayer is there, mindless fun for people who see Mass Effect as a shooter, but making it a requirement for any kind of single player ending is simply a slap in the face to all the fans who were there long before ME3 with its multiplayer.
Oh, yes, and it would have been nice if any decision you made would have any consequence for the ending, but in the end, nothing you did mattered.
Spoiler

Again, a Deus Ex Machina is NOT a conclusion, even if it comes offering you three choices that have nothing to do with what happend until then. That doesn't make the game dramatic or dark or gritty or something… Just confused and badly written.

Irian

Atheistic Pirate

March 14th, 2012, 23:53
Yep, definitely gives me the DA2 vibe - this is the choice we made for you, your actual choice didn't mean a thing.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

March 15th, 2012, 00:03
I don't need ewoks dancing in the streets - ehm - forest - ehm - wrong movie/game. Or that there is cake, drinks and celebrations and bonfires. As I said in the other thread many people on the BSN ME3 forums have argued politely, meaningfull and calmly that the endings make no sense at all. And they do mean at all. They feel the whole Mass Effect universe's terminology about the mass relays, why people can trek into the star systems, the starry sky etc. all went out the Normandy's windows… And got handwaved away…

Or as Anders says at a point in DA2: - a wizard did it…

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

March 15th, 2012, 00:04
Perhaps this link is enlightening for some people who seem to think that it's about "happy endings"… It never was.

http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect…ans-are-right/

Irian

Atheistic Pirate

March 15th, 2012, 10:37
Originally Posted by KapitanUnterhosen View Post
The common point seems to be that mass effect fans are vocal whiners, from throwing a shitstorm about the game's original script and ending and getting those changed(how did that work out for ya?) to gay romance to origin all before the game even came out, to now bitching about the endings; they have to be some of the most whiny fans the genre has, I'd chalk it up to the soap opera/melodrama nature of the series.
Maybe you should try to grow up and stop insulting people just because you do not agree with them? And besides, we are paying customers unsatisfied with the product we have bought, and which has been advertised in misleading way (there is no problem finding quotes of developers and producers saying things that are in complete contradiction to what we got), so we have every right to express our concerns. Despite what corporate apologetics think. In fact if we manage to create a unified front here, it would be really awesome to change the balance of power in gamers to publishers relations. And maybe then games will not be so often dumbed down or remade as first/third person shooters against player wishes, because marketing thinks it will sell more.

fungus

Watchdog

March 15th, 2012, 13:33
Originally Posted by aries100 View Post
I don't need ewoks dancing in the streets - ehm - forest - ehm - wrong movie/game. Or that there is cake
Speaking of cake, the ending to Portal was one of the most satisfying and emotional experiences from a game since years for me.

Thaurin

SasqWatch

March 15th, 2012, 19:59
More fuel for the fire: (SPOILERS)

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to…ndex/9999272/1

Spoiler

Ashindai

Watcher

March 15th, 2012, 20:11
Originally Posted by KapitanUnterhosen View Post
I think that this is actually wanted by Bioware. They have their customers in an emotional bind. The whole web is abuzz. So much free advertising! Bioware will now be able to sell a juicy bit of DLC for a relatively high price. And everyone will be happy ever after.

Turjan

Sentinel

March 15th, 2012, 22:07
I have watched the ending on youtube. It is indeed very beautiful and calm to look at. If you follow the link Iranian posted, you'll get to a comment that links to the youtube video. In this video questions are asked - but not answered. Also the person behind posting the link to the youtube video suggests something…..

But first let me recap Bioware's dream sequences in games: In BG1 and BG2, there were dream sequences, in DA: Origins and DA2, we had to enter the Fade e.g. a dream state. If you look closely and watch what is happening in the end sequence shown on youtube, you'll notice how similar the ending looks to the dream state end in the Fade.
If the music played during the end scene (as shown on youtube), this should also give you a good idea about what the ending(s) suggest. The endings seem to ask, albeit implicitly, what is reality and what is virtual reality, e.g. A.I. i.e. artificial Intelligence.

However, the ending(s) also suggest that someone has watched I, Robot and the Spielberg movie, A.I, to many times, it seems.

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

aries100

SasqWatch

March 16th, 2012, 10:00
Honestly, you're really bad at reading names, aren't you? :-) And I wouldn't mind a dream sequence, but the ending should be AFTER you awaken.

Irian

Atheistic Pirate

March 16th, 2012, 18:01
Yes, sorry about that I think I need new glasses ….

I'm pretty sure that the somehow it could be a dream sequence….the thing that convinced me was the music. Listening to it transports your clearly into another realm…

aries100

SasqWatch

March 16th, 2012, 21:08
Yes, sorry about that I think I need new glasses ….

I'm pretty sure that the somehow it could be a dream sequence….the thing that convinced me was the music. Listening to it transports your clearly into another realm…
To me it seemed like Shepard was being indoctrinated. Like the saying goes assuming control all hail the next harbinger.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

March 16th, 2012, 21:25
I'm not sure what this indoctrinated mean - (as I'm currently a decade away from ME3 gaming due to real life interfearing with my gaming ) - the point I was trying to make was the ending seemed like a illusion to me…

aries100

SasqWatch

March 16th, 2012, 22:17
I'm not sure what this indoctrinated mean - (as I'm currently a decade away from ME3 gaming due to real life interfearing with my gaming ) - the point I was trying to make was the ending seemed like a illusion to me…
That's what indoctrinated means, The reaper overlord harbinger is taking over his mind with visions and illusions. Its how they assimilate you to there side of thinking. Just look at the illusive man for an example.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Mass Effect 3 - Casey Hudson Interview