|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Good Old Games - Anachronox Now Available

Default Good Old Games - Anachronox Now Available

March 15th, 2012, 22:50
GOG has released Tom Hall's classic, Anachronox:
Anachronox is charming, intelligent, witty, fun, and entertaining from the very first minute you start until the final lovingly-crafted moments of the engaging story. The game is not simply an RPG: it combines Japanese-style elements (like fairly linear story, cinematic direction, and turn-based non-random battles) with Western-like side quests, dialogues, and sense of humor, mixing in some puzzles and a story straight from an adventure game for good measure. Yes, the game was known to be kind of buggy at launch, but a pair of official patches and a later pair of fan-made patches have taken care of that and you can play it with virtually no issues. The most important thing is that the story flows like an entertaining novel—light-hearted, bizarre, and humorous, but at the same time the gameplay is addictive and challenging.
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 15th, 2012, 22:50
Always wanted to try this one out. Good news!

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

March 15th, 2012, 22:55
Finally they've added it!
One of the best RPGs ever if not one of the best games overall. Underrated, underplayed, everything under for no rational reason.

Go GOG!!!

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

March 15th, 2012, 22:56
I remember finding the characters a bit weird for my taste, but being on GOG might lead me to giving it another chance.

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 15th, 2012, 23:02
The game is full of bizzare characters and even more bizzare areas, but I won't be spoiling it! Grab it, it's worth every penny.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

March 15th, 2012, 23:41
I quite liked Anachronox for the adventure and humor, but remember never finishing the game due to a ridiculously hard (at least to me) arcade bit involving meteors. I hate turret sections and such. Especially in an adventure game or RPG. Latest offender would be Dead Space, a quite good atmospheric shooter that I also never finished due to a ridiculously hard arcade bit involving meteors…

Mr Smiley

Watchdog

March 15th, 2012, 23:49
I finished the game and enjoyed it overall, but it's definitely a mixed bag. When you got to explore a non combat area and interact with people I enjoyed the game quite a bit. But the combat system was tedious, pointless random encounters were frequent, and the game features no character customization at all. So in general I loved the game when I was in town, exploring and talking to people, but I hated the game when I went into a "dungeon" and actually had to fight things.

Overall it plays out kind of like an old school JRPG, but with Western characters and influence.

fadedc

Keeper of the Watch

March 16th, 2012, 00:01
I played and finished Anachronox when it was released in 2001. Great story, interesting characters and places to explore, great soundtrack. This game also has a turn-based combat borrowed from Japanese RPGs. System works well, rewarding and tactical. Also you can see the monsters and no random encounter is a plus. I also remember long and beautifully crafted special attack animations like in JRPGs. Only drawback is the graphics, which was below the standarts even back then (Quake 2 engine).

Too bad Ion Storm couldn't live long to make a sequel to this game. I think it was the Daikatana disaster to blame for this.

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Gokyabgu

Sentinel

March 16th, 2012, 02:29
Originally Posted by Gokyabgu View Post
I think it was the Daikatana disaster to blame for this.
I completely forgot about that, yes, it's possible that ppl disappointed into that crap decided not to risk another IonStorm release. Too bad.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

March 16th, 2012, 02:47
Originally Posted by fadedc View Post
pointless random encounters were frequent
Originally Posted by Gokyabgu View Post
Also you can see the monsters and no random encounter is a plus.
Which is it? This game's on my backlog of games to get back into but I loathe random encounters.

KapitanUnterhosen

Sentinel

March 16th, 2012, 03:14
Originally Posted by fadedc View Post
no character customization at all
What? No character building?

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

March 16th, 2012, 03:23
No. But you assemble a team, unlock skills and… Well… There is a special way of making some more skills, I've never seen anything like it in any other game and it rocks.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

March 16th, 2012, 04:23
You can get xp and level up, and like Joxer said, sometimes you unlock new skills. But you have no choices, no skill points or any kind of customization. Even back when the game was released, that part of it seemed really out of date. Now it's one part which will definitely not hold up well.

But the crazy characters and the humor….those will definitely still hold up. To this day it features the most creative and original party member that I have ever seen in a RPG. If you play it, you are definitely going to play it for the exploration/story/humor and not for the game mechanics.

Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post

fadedc

Keeper of the Watch

March 16th, 2012, 05:36
I loved this game and still think I have the disks so no need to go to GOG but nice to have the option. Very jRPG-like but with the western sensibilities. I seem to recall that it was somewhat out of date graphically when it first came out so that probably hasn't improved.

figment

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

March 16th, 2012, 15:54
Excellent. Haven't played this in ages. Well worth getting again, even if just for the Win 7 x64 compatibility/

VarleyD

Traveler

March 16th, 2012, 17:03
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
The game was modeled after JRPGs, so character building would be limited. I haven't played yet, but based on what I've seen, I would assume that it would have the old-school Final Fantasy type battle system, maybe with some added twists.

I'll have to check this out now that its on GoG, I missed it the first time around, and I don't think it was Win 7 compatible until now, though I could be wrong. That's one of my favorite things about GoG - the way they make games easy to play without having to jump through a lot of OS compatibility hoops

dpc76

Watchdog

March 16th, 2012, 18:01
I'll probably pick it up on sale or something. I already have an infinite backlog….

killias2

Disastrous Fate
RPGWatch Team

March 16th, 2012, 18:05
Actually most JRPGs have significantly more character building then Anachronox, even back when the game came out. Combat is a bit like FF, though more basic and tedious (which is saying a lot given that JPRG combat was often tedious to begin with). But the story is way better then any FF game (at least to me).

Originally Posted by dpc76 View Post
The game was modeled after JRPGs, so character building would be limited. I haven't played yet, but based on what I've seen, I would assume that it would have the old-school Final Fantasy type battle system, maybe with some added twists.

fadedc

Keeper of the Watch

March 16th, 2012, 19:38
Originally Posted by KapitanUnterhosen View Post
Which is it? This game's on my backlog of games to get back into but I loathe random encounters.
I remember seeing the monsters in the distance and they can be avoid if you want to. But I may remember wrong, since 11 years has passed since I last played this game.

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Gokyabgu

Sentinel

March 16th, 2012, 21:41
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
GOG has released Tom Hall's classic, Anachronox:
More information.
The best western shot at the JRPG genre. Funny, quirky and (except for one sequence) ultimatly very, very good.

For a strange reason a lot in KotOR:TSL reminded me of Anachronox…

blackcanopus:
Steam is out of question. It's not convenient, it's not easy to use, it's not simple and fast. It's terrible.
"Where STEAM fails, the PHOENIX rises"

Sir_Brennus

Planeswalker

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Good Old Games - Anachronox Now Available