|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fallout - Free on GOG for 48 hours

Default Fallout - Free on GOG for 48 hours

April 6th, 2012, 04:09
GOG's free "legendary" game is the original Fallout, which is available for 48 hours (a bit over 40 hours to go) - log in and click to add it to your account.
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 6th, 2012, 04:09
I actually didn't have it on GOG yet, nice gift! I love the easy download/install of GOG vs having to dig up some old CD.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

April 6th, 2012, 04:21
You know… its actually my fault about this. I bought Fallout 1 two or three weeks ago. Still a fine value at $5.99, but now its free? After all the years its been out - it went free because I finally bought it.

In all seriousness… Fallout 1 (which I beat) and Fallout 2 (which I'm near the end of) are TOUGH games. I ended up turning the difficulty to Easy, which I NEVER do. The combat is freaking hard. Its a lot easier when you get (and have a decent skill) on energy weapons in Fallout 1. Fallout 2 though seems to be a lot harder even then.

Caidh

SasqWatch

April 6th, 2012, 06:45
Thanks Caidh!

Are you playing Fallout 2 vanilla or with the restoration patch? I remember them being challenging, but not overly so. I was able to beat both of them over a decade ago as a dumb high school kid. However, I recently played Fallout 2 with the restoration patch and found it to be much more difficult. I'm not sure if I have just become accustomed to games being easier, but Fallout 2 with the restoration patch is not afraid to march out an army of Enclave soldiers to blow you to bits. I left off just before the end…I think around level 28 or so (does that sound right?), and was still getting owned by Enclave armies periodically. Apparently the restoration patch seeks to make the world a truly terrifying place to travel in and I think it succeeded in that regard.

I still love these games! I thought it was all nostalgia but it's not, they really are that good! My only complaint upon replaying was that the game makes you use some rather unorthodox methods to accomplish certain things…the two examples I can think of is figuring out how to gas up your vehicle (took me a while to relearn what to do!) and using the various items to gain access to the old super mutant base (the game makes you use some functions that you otherwise never use).

rossrjensen

Sentinel

April 6th, 2012, 07:10
Putting the restoration patch on the GoG version didn't seem to work well. It caused graphics bugs that forced me (possibly due to Win7-64) to revert to the vanilla GoG version. I may, after my initial playthrough, investigate using it (even if I just run it within a Win 95/98 virtual machine) but its not too much trouble.

The Enclave base off-shore though… that's tough.

Caidh

SasqWatch

April 6th, 2012, 07:17
most awesome games are tough-makes you want to play them more, i think i've finished both games like 8 times(=16).

at least from what i remember..

rikus

Watchdog

April 6th, 2012, 09:01
Great… I hadn't played fallout 1 but I can now thanks to CDPR though I can't really understand why is it free on GOG only for 48 hours?

Vahid

The One

April 6th, 2012, 14:35
Originally Posted by Caidh View Post
Putting the restoration patch on the GoG version didn't seem to work well. It caused graphics bugs that forced me (possibly due to Win7-64) to revert to the vanilla GoG version. I may, after my initial playthrough, investigate using it (even if I just run it within a Win 95/98 virtual machine) but its not too much trouble.

The Enclave base off-shore though… that's tough.
Did you try switching to 16-bit colour in the options, that sorted the funny colour issues for me. I think the option might be under the SCRN button (part of the patch) in the Options screen.

Zaphod

Traveler

April 6th, 2012, 15:15
Great… I hadn't played fallout 1 but I can now thanks to CDPR though I can't really understand why is it free on GOG only for 48 hours?
I switched it to my account but does that mean we have to download it in 48 hrs also?

redman5427

Keeper of the Watch

April 6th, 2012, 15:17
Just need to add it to your library within the 48 hour time frame. You can download and play whenever.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fallout - Free on GOG for 48 hours